PDA

View Full Version : Looking to put together a group for a Monday night game of D&D

KSchade
February 14th, 2010, 12:06
Hello folks,
So, Monday games are few and far between, and those that are out there are either full or not something I'd like to play, so......

I'm looking to put together a group of 6-7 people to form a troupe for a long-running campaign. I'm using the model my home-based group uses, wherein four+ of the players alternate DMing. I'm willing to run the first adventure, but I'm also concurrently DMing for my home group now, and could use a rest. Therefore, here's what I need from people looking to play:

Date/time: Mondays, weekly game, starting 1400-1500 GMT-5, running through 2200 GMT-5.
DM Rotation: Each adventure in the campaign uses a different DM. With a four DM rotation, this means you'll be DMing every fourth adventure. More people willing to DM = longer play cycles between DM sessions.
Experience: Preference for players with 4e DM experience, although New DM's are welcome and will be well-supported. I'm always happy to show the ropes to any new players, but with this setup previous experience is strongly encouraged.
Hardware/Software: I've found that voice-chat drastically improves the latency found with an online PnP software package like FGII, so that capability is required. Obviously, in order to DM you'll need the Full version of FGII, however for our 2-3 player-only openings a license isn't strictly mandatory (at least for the first adventure, as I have an Ultimate license).
Age Bracket: 21+. I like to keep the option open to run games with more mature themes (although this won't always be the case), and 21+ ensures there's no legal issues or creep-factor in doing so.

As to setting, I generally run games in Eberron, so that's what we'll start with. However, I'm perfectly fine with incorporating any mechanics from other settings into the world. I subscribe to the "Say Yes" philosophy of DMing, so anything you can legally come up with will be allowed. Understand, however, that obvious over-optimization and/or super-cheese will be creatively destroyed. Further character details will wait until we've gotten a group together.

Anyway, feel free to reply to this, drop me a PM, or apply on the Calendar entry if interested.

Sincerely,
Kurt

Edit: I've also been reading over Shadowrun recently, and it looks pretty cool. Ergo, I'm opening this group up to Shadowrun as well, but I don't think I'd be comfortable running the first adventure if we go that route. I literally just picked up the .pdfs for it.

Edit 2: Due to requests for clarification, this will be a 4e game, whether we run Eberron/D&D or Shadowrun.

matagin
February 14th, 2010, 17:47
I am interested but what time would that be for Central US time? Also is that 7 hours?

KSchade
February 14th, 2010, 17:50
Central is GMT-6, I believe, so an hour before what's listed. And yes, its seven hours. I deliberately set it up for longer than we'll normally play. There'll be some days that we start later than that, or end earlier than 2200, but that's the availability for the outliers.

Edit: Oh, and normally with that time setup, we'll take an hour to two-hour break for dinner somewhere in there, so its inflated for that as well.

matagin
February 14th, 2010, 19:43
I would love to but I can only play from 7pm - 11pm Central.

KSchade
February 14th, 2010, 19:46
Well, matagin, I'm not opposed to having it a bit later if the majority consensus matches your hours of availability - we'll have to wait for a few more people to respond and then we'll take a look.

matagin
February 14th, 2010, 20:05
Yeah no worries. I will watch the thread. Thanks.

KSchade
February 14th, 2010, 20:06
No problem. I'm usually pretty quick to respond to the thread, as long as I'm awake and at home.

Iyasu
February 14th, 2010, 20:28
Nevermind, just saw you said '4e' in your post. Ignore this as I dunno how to delete it

cpbs
February 14th, 2010, 20:29
4e or 3.5? I can't tell which version you are running :)

KSchade
February 14th, 2010, 22:04
I'm pretty much completely out of 3.5e anymore. It'd be 4e, and I'll amend the original post to indicate that.

Desmodaeus
February 15th, 2010, 12:49
--removed--

KSchade
February 16th, 2010, 22:09
Okay, so there are some updates.

Desmodaeus and I have been talking, and here's what we're thinking. There are going to be two games, each bi-weekly and occuring at 1700 GMT-5. On weeks 1 and 3 he'll be running a campaign (d&d, homebrew setting, low magic), and on weeks 2 and 4 I'll be running another campaign (I'm thinking Shadowrun 4e). So yeah, this should work, now we just need a couple more people.

middlemonster
February 16th, 2010, 23:05
Sounds interesting, will we be making both DnD 4e and shadowrun characters?
Do we have to play in both or just one or the other?

azbo
February 16th, 2010, 23:19
I'm interested in hearing more about this game as well. Not sure how a DM rotation and a game swap really benefits from being listed as one game. Just my .02 but effectively these are two different games run biweekly (though I guess it might make sense if you're angling for continuity among the gaming group).

I'm on vent and skype for voice and I'v DM'd/played using both. Prefer to play with only adults not so much for content as for maturity.

KSchade
February 17th, 2010, 15:05
@middlemonster: Basically, yes to your first question, and optional for the second. Please see the below reply.

@Azbo: Your assumption is exactly correct - I'd like to put together a group of people who will play weekly, alternating between two games. This will provide the same benefit as a DM rotation would've under one game (namely, reducing DM burnout as the DM's for both games get to play in the other game). It will also provide stability in the group itself, which is a good thing as it lends to long-term campaigns.

We'll be using Skype for audio, although Desmo has stated that in the game he runs, he'd like to use it only to play the combat music while we're in-session. My preferences differ, and particularly with the amount of math involved in Shadowrun, we'll need to use voice for combat. In any case, if you two would send me a PM we can arrange for a Skype meeting.

evermore414
February 17th, 2010, 15:50
Hi! I'm new to FG and 4e though I used to play pen and paper frequently in my teens and 20's. I'm 32 now and have been itching to get back into a game or two. I've picked up and begun reading some of the 4e books and am starting to get a feel for them.

Unfortunately I'm unable to play until about 5:30 Central time on weekdays (which I think would be 1830 GMT 5?) and I don't know anything about Shadowrun so I'm probably not a great fit for your runs. Never the less, I thought I'd make a post just on the off chance that you might end up needing an extra for your D&D campaign and were flexible on the time slot. Either way, great to meet you all and good luck on your new campaigns!

KSchade
February 17th, 2010, 15:54
I'll let Desmodaeus field the timeframe issue for the D&D game (he's at GMT+2 and therefore its late/early for him). In regard to Shadowrun, I have no problem with starting later (I will soon be on night shift at work, so time's not really an issue.) But I'll leave it to the option of the group. I like to get in at least 4 hours of gameplay for a session, so if we start later it may end later.

Kaloth
March 18th, 2010, 02:09
I am interested in this campaign as well. I am a long time 3.5 player and have recently gotten the PHB for 4e. Unfortunately my IRL group refuses to play 4e so I am left unable to get a campaign together for it. Also I have the shadowrun information, so I can't see that being an issue. And I have Skype.

((Also I hope the fact that I'm only eighteen isn't too much of an issue))

Panthine
March 21st, 2010, 05:41
4e 30yr old South Australian player (+930) looking to hook in on this.
Would be early morning but it is THAT hard to find a game in my timezone (and i run own business so can skip first 1/2 of workday) so i am willing :p

Haven't played Shadowrun before and not sure if its cyberpunk-like (i hate non ebberon tech) but willing to see how it goes

PM me if you still need more players.

Fraxture
April 7th, 2010, 18:04
I have applied to your Game via the calendar. :D