PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Reviews

jcdf
February 13th, 2010, 18:56
Different Campaigns (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/) can be purchased for Fantasy Grounds. Not knowing most of them, deciding which one to buy can be difficult. Can anybody suggest ones they found were good or bad please or provide a link to a site that reviews Campaign packages.

Griogre
February 13th, 2010, 19:52
jcdf you need to understand FG just allows you to run games over the internet that most people run in a face to face setting. Thus most people using the ruleset(s) (campaign type) that they would play in a face to face game.

If you have no real preferance then it is usually easier to find players for or play in a popular game system. D&D in all its forms, flavors and variations has always been the most popular system. Most people like or dis-like an RPG based first on setting then on game mechanics. Thus if a fantasty setting doesn't interest you then that would exclude D&D and others while opening up Sci-Fi, Modern and other settings.

Because of this it would be alot easier if you would mention what type of setting you think you would like.

Answulf
February 13th, 2010, 20:44
You probably should start by buying the light license and then getting in a game - it will give you a much better understanding of everything.

jcdf
February 14th, 2010, 00:06
jcdf you need to understand FG just allows you to run games over the internet that most people run in a face to face setting. Thus most people using the ruleset(s) (campaign type) that they would play in a face to face game.

If you have no real preferance then it is usually easier to find players for or play in a popular game system. D&D in all its forms, flavors and variations has always been the most popular system. Most people like or dis-like an RPG based first on setting then on game mechanics. Thus if a fantasty setting doesn't interest you then that would exclude D&D and others while opening up Sci-Fi, Modern and other settings.

Because of this it would be alot easier if you would mention what type of setting you think you would like.
Thanks for the advice. My preference is a fantasy setting principally D&D 3.5 or 4E.

Actually the main determining factor for my liking or disliking of a game is the fellow players and most important of all the Dungeon Master.

There are other rule sets and campaigns that I am unfamiliar with. I was just wondering if anyone had ever done a review of various campaigns, like a review of various novels. I know the two are quite different with Fantasy Grounds games being made up ad-hoc style by the DM. Different campaigns do have different review able matter, maps, characters and story suggestions etc. Has anyone compiled a list of reviews of this material?

tdewitt274
February 14th, 2010, 00:44
Well, to be clear, Rulesets would be different game systems.

Campaigns are what adventures everyone plays.

The rulesets themselves are based off of game systems. So, in that respect, I would suggest checking out reviews of other game systems (World of Darkness, Cthulhu, GURPS, D&D).

As far as Campaigns, well, there aren't a lot out there except on the FG Store. Those are just basically adventures, so you might be able to find reviews on those.

If you're new to RPGs, stick with what you know for your home stuff. However, feel free to try new systems by sitting in on games online. That's always the best way learn a new System/Ruleset.

Hope this helps.

Andugus
February 14th, 2010, 08:55
I only know of two products that have any campaign setting information. One of them is for Castles & Crusades. C&C seems to aim for a return to the roots of 1st edition D&D. Their campaign setting is called "After Winters Dark". While I could find no review of it for FG2 I did find one for the print version.

There is also a micro setting produced by White Haired Man of which I am a co-owner. Everything you get in the FG2 based product is free at our website, www.whitehairedman.com (https://www.whitehairedman.com). We format that information for use with Fantasy Grounds 2, D&D 3.5/OGL and Savage Worlds rulesets. I have included a third party review of our product as well.

There are other campaign settings, like Shaintar for Savage Worlds, etc. But I tried to show you what is out there for 3.5 or 4th edition. I know of no official 4th edition FG2 campaign settings that are commercially available.

After Winter's Dark Editorial Review at Amazon Books (https://www.amazon.com/Castles-Crusades-After-Winters-Dark/dp/0931275466/ref=cm_lmf_tit_25)
White Haired Man's Kith'takharos Campaign Setting review at RPGNow (https://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=55593)

Answulf
February 14th, 2010, 21:24
What everyone is getting at is that your questions and comments don't quite make sense - through no fault of your own - only because you are new to RPGs and don't quite understand exactly what you are asking. If you aren't familiar with things it can be a bit confusing, so let me see if I can help:

Ruleset: The game itself -the core system of rules used to play the game. Ex: 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, Savage Worlds.

Ruleset Supplements: These are additional books on specific subjects in the ruleset. For example, you might buy one that takes an in-depth look at dragons in the game.

Campaign Settings: These are not the same thing as a campaign. These are another form of ruleset supplement that details geographical areas, dungeons, villains and usually have several optional story archs that tie in to the areas and can be used by a GM to run a campaign in that setting.

Other Accessories: Token packs, map packs, etc.

Adventures: These are the stories that the players go through when they sit down to play during a session. They might be pre-published and available for purchase, or they might be created by the Game Master.

Campaign: A campaign is when the players play through a series of adventures that are connected by an overarching plot. A series of published adventures may be bundled together and sold as a campaign, but these are relatively rare.

So to clarify, there aren't any 'campaigns' that can be bought for Fantasy Grounds. There are one or two campaign settings in that list, but no campaigns.The list of products you have linked to are mostly rulesets and ruleset supplements, adventures, and other accessories.

The best source for reviews of rulesets, supplements, adventures and campaign settings that I know of is https://www.rpg.net/reviews/

Hopefully that helps and please keep asking questions until everything is clear!

Andugus
February 14th, 2010, 23:06
I'd like to say that there is at least one campaign available that fits the definition Ansbach offered. White Haired Man's, "Kith'takharos" product line.

The creative team at White Haired Man is aiming at providing a series of adventures that may be connected into a campaign arc. The hooks for each adventure offer ways for GM's to work the characters into the story. The end of each adventure offers suggestions for where the GM can take things next.

Our Campaign Adventures and Simple Scenarios are designed such that they may be used as a stand-alone adventure, or in conjunction with other "Kith'takharos" White Haired Man adventures. Kith'takharos products are the first such campaign arc we've developed. It may be conveniently added to a GM's existing game world wherever there is a remote swamp location.

We intend over time to add additional micro settings and adventures that may help to shape a more detailed world. Yet, we realize most GM's already have their own world and thus we design to assist the overworked GM with content that may augment their creativity rather than replace it.

Valarian
February 14th, 2010, 23:25
For Fantasy Grounds, some of these terms can be subtly different.

Ruleset: The game itself -the core system of rules used to play the game. Ex: 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, Savage Worlds.
In FGII terms, the ruleset is the code that enables the GM to run the game. It describes the character sheet, NPC sheets, any special dice functions, etc. Basically, it describes the way that FGII will work for the game system that is going to be used. The ruleset is the base for the game that will be held and is held on the GM's machine. The GM opens a campaign for the FGII ruleset that matches the game he wants to run.

Ruleset Supplements: These are additional books on specific subjects in the ruleset. For example, you might buy one that takes an in-depth look at dragons in the game.
Supported rule books and supplements will be in rules modules in FGII. These are only available in commercial rulesets due to copyright. They allow the GM (and sometimes players) to see information from the game rule books or supplements supported within the FGII library. The modules need to be opened in the modules screen in order to be seen in the library.

Campaign Settings: These are not the same thing as a campaign. These are another form of ruleset supplement that details geographical areas, dungeons, villains and usually have several optional story archs that tie in to the areas and can be used by a GM to run a campaign in that setting.
Like rule book information, any campaign setting information will be held within modules in FGII and will appear in the library (if available and activated from the modules screen).

Other Accessories: Token packs, map packs, etc.
Add to the tokens or images folders as required.

Adventures: These are the stories that the players go through when they sit down to play during a session. They might be pre-published and available for purchase, or they might be created by the Game Master.
Adventures are also held in modules, but appear in FGII differently to the rules modules when opened. An adventure module will add story entries, images, NPCs and items to the FGII sidebar menus. Adventure modules won't appear in the library.

Campaign: A campaign is when the players play through a series of adventures that are connected by an overarching plot. A series of published adventures may be bundled together and sold as a campaign, but these are relatively rare.
As described.

jcdf
February 15th, 2010, 10:29
Thanks Ansbach and Valarian for the clarification of these terms. The link was very useful Ansbach, thanks.