PDA

View Full Version : 4E Ruleset Question

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 14:29
Is there any way to have powers which deal weapon damage automatically change the damage based upon what weapon you have equipped in slot 1 or 2 or whatever? It is annoying to have to go back and redo powers reliant on weapon damage every time a character gets a new type of weapon.

joshuha
February 13th, 2010, 15:18
Its been awhile since I used the ruleset but there should be a default weapon/implement box on the powers sheet that does just that. Then if the the power has a [W] in the damage instead of a die then it will use the corresponding weapon damage for that weapon slot.

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 15:41
Hmm, it appears to work that way only if clicked from the text of the power, although the bonus dmg from abilities is not applied when done this way.

Zeus
February 13th, 2010, 15:41
Desmodaeus - Joshua is indeed correct. Check out the Default Weapon field in the Powers tab of the charsheet (not the mini version). Here you can set the default weapon for all weapon based powers. The default Implement field applies a default implement to all powers with an implement based attack.

In addition you can override the default weapon under each power that has a weapon based attack by setting the weapon number field (Wpn: ) to the weapon of your choice. The weapon numbers are referenced from the Weapons/Implement table in the Combat tab of the charsheet.

You can also override the default implement under each power by changing its Imp: field.

In either case if the Weap: and Imp: fields for a power are empty. The ruleset will apply default weapon/implement (if populated).

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 15:48
I must be doing something wrong because it is not working in this way for me. I have the desired weapon in slot 1 of the combat tab. I then set the default weapon to "1" on the powers page. Yet the damage field remains empty and when clicked it posts a zero.

If I click in the text of the power for damage, it will roll the correct weapon's damage but does not add the bonuses from the ability. Example: It will roll 1d10, but not 1d10 + Str mod

Zeus
February 13th, 2010, 16:13
Can you post a screenshot of the affected Power on the Power tab of the main charactersheet. Lets make sure the Power has been setup correctly.

Q: Which version of the 4E ruleset are you using, the latest test release?
Q: Was this a power dragged from a rulebook module or a manually created one?

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 16:31
Ah, I got it. There was no space in between the +Dex modifier of the damage text. I guess the code is finicky about that. If I double click the text now it works. Just wish there was a way it could work within the mini section of the character sheet.

Also, yes I have the latest version of the ruleset. and the text was pasted from a pdf of the PHB.

tdewitt274
February 13th, 2010, 17:20
Also, yes I have the latest version of the ruleset. and the text was pasted from a pdf of the PHB.

I've found that you have to really check anything you copy out of a PDF due to the carriage returns not registering in FG. For example, in your screen shot, it shows "yourWisdom" instead of "your Wisdom".

I found this in the Pathfinder PDFs as well. The "best" way is to use XPDF, but there are also issues with that (like none of the numbers showing in a stat block, grr!).

Zeus
February 13th, 2010, 17:29
Desmodaeus - You are clicking on the attack text in the description field of the power to make an attack yes?

Why not populate the attack/damage fields - accessible from the little sword icon next to the source field.

See my screenshot as an example.

Once populated (correctly) you can drag the attack and damage fields (drag will change to die) and drop them onto another combat tracker entry to make an attack or apply damage.

The attack/damage die will appear on the mini sheet allowing you to make attacks/damage rolls from there too.

Also you might want to look at the 4EParser (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/component/docman/doc_details/90-4eparser4020

Its a tool that allows you to parse PDF rulebooks into useable 4E modules for FGII. In addition if you have a DDI account you can use the tool to automatically download all PHB powers from the Compendium into ready to parser text files. The text files can then be compiled into a module to give you a PHB reference directly within FGII.

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 17:39
Hmm, maybe I don't have the latest version of the ruleset because I do not have the option to do that. I thought I did. If I change it to the latest will I have to redo everything for all my players again?

Zeus
February 13th, 2010, 18:02
Desmodaeus - You shouldn't need to update the ruleset to get the attack/damage fields setup. I can see the little sword icon next to the source field in your screenshot so am a little confused as to why you believe that option doesn't exist.

Click the sword and post a new screenshot for us to have a look at.

As for updating, you will need to download the test tool which will switch your FGII configuration to test mode. You then run the standard FGII Updater and it will download the latest FGII test build (2.6.5). The latest test build also incorporates the latest test release of the 2.0 4E ruleset. When you next launch FGII and Load Campaign, the launcher will also display a button to next to each existing 4E_JPG campaign, when clicked it will change the campaign file to make use of the 2.0 ruleset. Note there is no button for converting back to the older 1.51 ruleset so unless you want to start having to hack the XML make sure that before you start you backup your campaign folder.

You also have to get your players to update to the latest test build.

The good news is that from 2.0 onwards the ruleset is archived into a .PAK file and installed in the Program directory as opposed to the App Data/rulesets folder. The benefit of this is that it will be far quicker for your players to connect to your game as they will have a .PAK file local already. No need for rulesets files to be downloaded during connection to a game.

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 18:22
I know about setting the options under the sword icon, but mine does not have the options yours did such as ability to set weapon and so on. Have a look...

Zeus
February 13th, 2010, 19:42
It does you just haven't populated all of the required fields properly. You see the field that says Keywords. Try entering word 'Weapon'.

For implement based powers use 'Implement'.

Also set the Range field to Melee for Melee attacks and Ranged n for ragned attacks where n is the limit of the range e.g. ranged 5

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 19:53
Ah, I see. Thanks very much for your help. I also downloaded the test tool and am now trying the newest version. Seems good so far.

Moon Wizard
February 13th, 2010, 19:57
Desmodaeus,

You need to enter the text of the powers exactly as published in the rule books in order for the 4E ruleset to be able to correctly parse the powers. This includes the action, range, keywords, etc.

Also, the ruleset assumes that the remaining clauses without a specific field are entered in the format.
<CLAUSE>: <CLAUSE TEXT>; <CLAUSE>: <CLAUSE TEXT>; ...

Ex: Attack: Strength vs. AC, two attacks; Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.; Weapon: If you’re wielding a light blade, a spear, or a flail and have Dexterity 15 or higher, make a secondary attack.; Secondary Target: The same or a different target; Secondary Attack: Strength vs. AC; Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.

Also, the sword icon area allows you to specify specific rolls that you would like to make, and that will show up on the mini sheet. If you used the 4E parser to build your modules, the ruleset will automatically populate those roll fields for you. Otherwise, you will need to add them manually. Just click the sword, and adjust the fields to match the power. In the next version of the ruleset, there will be a menu option to parse the power text on command, instead of only when added from a module.

Cheers,
JPG

Desmodaeus
February 13th, 2010, 20:10
Yes, everything is working well now. Thanks everybody for all the useful advice, it is much appreciated.

Tenian
February 13th, 2010, 21:05
You should really check out this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11322

It could really save you some time :)

Answulf
February 14th, 2010, 22:26
DrZeuss,

What version of the ruleset do you have? Is that a customized version?

Just noticed the solid color bars, different font and heal icon next to Second Wind...

Zeus
February 15th, 2010, 00:06
DrZeuss,

What version of the ruleset do you have? Is that a customized version?

Just noticed the solid color bars, different font and heal icon next to Second Wind...

I'm running the latest test build of 2.0. The screenshot was of 2.0 with the original wood theme to make it easier for Desmodaeus to reference.

The test build is available via the FGII updater but first you need to
Download the Test tool ( here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/TestModeManager.exe)) and switch to test mode.

Check out moon_wizards post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11630) for more information.

Kalan
February 16th, 2010, 13:15
I'm running the latest test build of 2.0. The screenshot was of 2.0 with the original wood theme to make it easier for Desmodaeus to reference.

The test build is available via the FGII updater but first you need to
Download the Test tool ( here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/TestModeManager.exe)) and switch to test mode.

Check out moon_wizards post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11630) for more information.

Just a quick silly question...

To run a campaign using the v2.0 of the 4ed ruleset - do I need to be in Test mode or Regular mode?

Zeus
February 16th, 2010, 13:54
No such thing as a silly question here: :)

I believe this is correct but I guess Doug or moon_wizard are the best people to answer.

Once you have the 4E.pak file installed via the Test mode Update. You can revert back to Release mode and re-update without fear of the 4E.pak file being overwritten with changes. This because the 4E v2 ruleset has not been released yet.

So for the time being yes, I guess.

Note: You will not have the Convert to 4E button on the launcher any longer once you go back to the release version.

Once the ruleset goes live (hopefully shouldn't be much longer now) this will of course will become mute.

Kalan
February 16th, 2010, 15:22
Cool cool - basically all I needed to know :)