PDA

View Full Version : New to FG II and need help

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 01:53
I am new to the program and am feeling my way around attempting to learn. MY first step was to create a connection and make sure my ports were open. Now i am attempting to host a game and I have checked the FAQ and found the step by step process but my ultimate version does not have the host game button. I was wondering if I am just not looking in the right place. I have already started working on a game so I have information and a campaign but i cannot bring in any players that input my external or my alias. Any help with this matter would be appreciated and if this has been covered beforehand I apologize.

Phystus
February 11th, 2010, 01:55
Have you created a campaign yet? I think you have to do that first.

~P

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 01:56
i have created a campaign. The option to host is not even on the launcher.

Phystus
February 11th, 2010, 02:05
What options are there?

~P

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 02:07
load, create (campaign) join game, and manage characters. I attempted to go through joining a game, but that was as a player. I need to host.

Phystus
February 11th, 2010, 02:16
Pick load, then on the next screen select your campaign and hit 'start'. That should do it.

~P

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 02:17
Did that. Is it possible that the person attempting to connect to my computer does not have his firewall set up to allow the open port? ( just thought of that)

Phystus
February 11th, 2010, 02:18
Oh, and I think you have to set your username the first time around.

~P

Darkfaith
February 11th, 2010, 02:19
There is no "Host Game" button. The "Load Campaign" button is how you host a campaign. When you press that button it will have the campaign you set up on the left, and address information and a test connection button on the right. Use the test connection button to make sure that your connection is set up properly to host. If the connection fails then you may need to make additional changes to your ports and firewall in order to host a game. As long as everything is forwarded properly and you're loaded into a campaign as a GM then you're ready to host.

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 02:21
All of that works properly, I have conducted the tests and i can connect but when I did a trial run with one of my players he could not connect. I think the problem lies on his end, I will look into it more when I can visit him.

Phystus
Could be. Also, if you haven't already done this, try to run a connection test from the screen where you select your campaign.

~P

Darkfaith
Did that. Is it possible that the person attempting to connect to my computer does not have his firewall set up to allow the open port? ( just thought of that)
Only the GM needs to forward ports, not the players. It is possible, however, that the player's firewall may be blocking the program.

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 02:25
After all of this, i think that the firewall issue may be the problem. I can connect via the tests, the player on the other hand gets stuck at connecting. If I can't get it working when I visit him, I will post again. Thanks for the quick help.

acseric
February 11th, 2010, 14:47
Hi There,

I was actually playing with this last night for the first time.

The other player will not be able to connect until you actually launch the campaign. He cannot connect to you from the screen that you can test the connection.

Try that and see if it helps.

Eric

Alpheus
February 11th, 2010, 17:06
I have also tried this. The player could not connect while i had the campaign launched. I tested the connection before I launched.

Alpheus
February 18th, 2010, 07:47
So after several attempts to make this work, I am still at a loss as to what is wrong. I have made sure that my router has port forwarding for ports 1802 and 1803, I have created a static ip address for the host computer, and the test function says that I have a successful connection. I have launched the game and waited for my players to connect. They have used both a host address from my screen and an alias and can only get as far as connecting to host and that is it. I have even set up a laptop in my home to attempt to connect with no results. Any help would be much appreciated.

Moon Wizard
February 18th, 2010, 09:00
Here's some incremental steps to try, so you can check:

* Connect on same machine: Run a second instance of Fantasy Grounds, and connect to 127.0.0.1
* Connect from same network: Run FG on another machine, and connect to internal address.
* Connect via Internet: Run FG on remote machine, and connect to external address or alias.

Which of these scenarios fails?

Thanks,
JPG

Spyke
February 18th, 2010, 09:02
Do your players have proper, licensed versions of the software?

Spyke

Alpheus
February 18th, 2010, 09:27
moon,
The third one failed.

Spyke,
No, but I have the ultimate and I thought that I would be able to host unregistered. Is that the issue?

Spyke
February 18th, 2010, 09:50
No, but I have the ultimate and I thought that I would be able to host unregistered. Is that the issue?
That ought to work, but just check that they're not trying to connect using the demo rather than the full version.

Spyke

Spyke
February 18th, 2010, 09:51
Actually, kick off your campaign now and PM me your IP address. I'll see if I can connect.

Spyke

Spyke
February 18th, 2010, 09:55
It may simply be that you're using a custom ruleset and/or have a huge number of tokens which are taking a long time to transfer across. If you have an upload/download monitor such as DU Meter (https://www.dumeter.com/), or the one built into Windows 7, you could keep an eye on what your machine is doing. If it's sending lots of data then just wait. This only needs to get passed across the first time your players connect to your campaign.

Spyke

Alpheus
February 18th, 2010, 18:32
Spyke,

Thanks, with a little work and your suggestions I was able to get my players to connect.

Spyke
February 18th, 2010, 18:38
Excellent. Glad you're up and running now. Have fun!

Spyke