PDA

View Full Version : Licensing and VNC

cpbs
February 9th, 2010, 19:34
Just throwing this idea out there as it came to my mind awhile ago.

Hypothetically:
I have a server side computer or a regular computer that I install a Ultimate Licence or Full Licence on it. I set up the configuration to allow VNC (Virtual Network Computing) on that computer. I am about to log into the server from another computer that does not have Fantasy Grounds installed on it. From there I am able access that game through VNC from my computer to the host/server computer. Is this possible without having any problems with the EULA?

Situations:
This came to my mind for when some people are hosting a game but are not able to make it to their computer that has the software on it. Like a travelling business men/women, college students stuck in class, out of town on vacation, etc. This would be easier instead of having to to buy another FG license to put on another computer, and also having to import all the campaign folders etc.

Just wondering, legally if this is possible.

I know that hardware, internet connection and other slew of problems face VNC over a WAN/Internet, but it might still be possible and easier....maybe :o .

Thanks,
cpbs

Doswelk
February 9th, 2010, 23:03
I think this would not work...

I believe (not having an ultimate license myself) that the GM has to be the one running the ultimate license for a non-licensed client to connect.

So unless you are planning to run (as GM) the game via VNC I do not think this would work...

cpbs
February 9th, 2010, 23:37
So unless you are planning to run (as GM) the game via VNC I do not think this would work...

Yes thats what I was thinking. For the GM to host the game through the server, via VNC to his computer somewhere else.

joshuha
February 9th, 2010, 23:58
Do VNC applications these days support DirectX over VNC? I remember checking on this a couple of years ago and couldn't find any that did it well or without extreme lag.