PDA

View Full Version : Rulesets

Jadryk
February 9th, 2010, 04:49
Quick question: I'm wanting to buy this and get into either a 4th edition or 2.5 edition game. I'm just curious as to how I would obtain the rulesets once I purchase Fantasy Grounds as I don't see them in the library.

Thanks!
Jad

Berova
February 9th, 2010, 05:21
The beauty of Fantasy Grounds is, unless you are DMing, you don't need to worry about the ruleset. The first time you Join the game, the ruleset your DM is using will be loaded automatically.

Valarian
February 9th, 2010, 08:25
You're talking of the library, so I presume that you refer to the rules modules. The ruleset is the character sheet and other bits and bobs that make up how FGII presents the interface for the GM to run the game.

Rules modules are included in any of the commercial rulesets. As the poster above says, connect as a player to a GM running one of these games and you can get access to the library modules included in the ruleset. Community rulesets (like AD&D and D&D4e) don't have the library modules. This is down to it being illegal to distribute copyrighted material. If you know some basic XML and HTML, you can create the library modules for yourself. The modules are a ZIP file with some specific files inside. There's more on modules and how to create them in other threads. However, unless you're the one running the game, you still don't need to worry about this.

FGII is not a game in itself. It's an online replacement for the gaming table. As you have to bring books to the gaming table, sometimes you have to bring books to FGII. The rules modules are nice, but not vital.

Jadryk
February 9th, 2010, 15:10
Thank you both for the answers on this. I really miss doing tabletop games, and this will help a lot. It's a lot easier to do them online since I'm an EMT and coordinating schedules for in person is a royal pain =(

Thanks again!
Jad