PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu

Aracon
February 7th, 2010, 14:15
I am looking for a couple more players to join a bi-weekly Call of Cthulhu game. The game will run Wed 9pm to around midnight central time. This game will alternate with a weekly rolemaster game.

Setting will be the 1920's standard setting.

I am very rusty on running Call of Cthulhu so you will have to bear with me as I come up to speed.

Aracon
February 7th, 2010, 16:57
I'm going to cap this at six players. I now have two confirmed and only four slots open.

Aracon
February 7th, 2010, 17:30
I am down to only two openinings.

WarLokk
February 9th, 2010, 22:40
I might be interested, what ruleset are you using? BRP?

Aracon
February 9th, 2010, 23:13
We're using the ruleset available on here, BRP I believe.

That assumes that I can figure out how to use it... I am having some issues with character generation not having the rule book visibile, etc.

Aracon
February 11th, 2010, 20:59
We had a short first session to get the game going. I am new to FG2 and picked up the unlimited license and had it installed relatively quickly on Windows 7. I was able to follow the firewall setting changes and modified my router as per the directions and the players were able to connect. They are new to V6 of CoC so read through the rules, rolled some dice and began character development.

We tested the interface to see what happens if I lose connection, how to open up various notes and make them visible and general trial and error testing of the interface to make it suit us.

We decided on a setting in NYC in the 1920's.

Overall, it took about 90 minutes to get everying installed, configured and characters rolled up (but not completed).

We still have one open slot for 9pm Wednesday Central time if anyone is inerested.

WarLokk
February 11th, 2010, 21:38
Could possibly get involved. You guys using Voice-Chat or just Text...playing until midnight in my place with loud talking ( i.e. me on a mic might not work out)

I am used to BRP and CoC 6th Edition.

Aracon
February 11th, 2010, 23:18
I think we are going to try voice chat. If it gets too cumbersome we might go to text or a hybrid approach such as combat being text, RPing being voice.

We are using CoC 6th. I am coding up Secrets of New York and some other adventures.... obviously if you have those it won't exactly be fun to play.

Aracon
March 3rd, 2010, 05:44
We have had three sessions now. I have drawn up the Corbitt House in full color and it looks pretty good for my first time with new tools. I am an old school style of cartographer (one of my undergraduate degrees).

I have sent the maps in for review so they might appear on here for downloading if the quality is up to par.

Anyhow, we used Skype and it worked ok but a friend carved out a room in Ventrilo so we will likely use that. The chat was good and felt like we were playing in the same room.

For drawing I used some Dundjinni but found it incredibly difficult to install with numerous buggy issues. I had to download through a private portal before I finally got the art packs up and running. I like Campaign Cartographer. Maps got touched up a bit with Macromedia tools.

I don't like FG2 maps at all. I think we will be using an integrated maptools for line of sight and FG2 for the campaign. Moving on FG2 maps was clunky as was getting the mask to work whereas maptools does a good job at the kind of mapping I like. However, Maptools is clunky for campaign information and the Cthulhu ruleset for FG2 is awesome.

Overall, a good blend of tools makes virtual desktop gaming a great experience. The FG2 Ultimate license and Cthulhu ruleset were worth every penny. The biggest challenge with FG2 was hacking into my own router to configure port forwarding...

I wish I could say the same about Dundjinni. The installation process was the worst I have ever seen and I am fairly well experienced at this stuff. I didnt like the proprietary art packs. The tool was easy enough to use to make decent maps but I like Campaign Cartographer much better.

Puzzle
March 3rd, 2010, 16:37
Id love to give CoC a go, i never did play it but heard a lot of good things from my friends

if you still have room PM me and I will gladly come along

I have admin access to a permanent vent server too so can set up a PW room to stop random ppl jumping in mid RP if needed!

let me know!

Aracon
March 3rd, 2010, 21:43
We are running some of the basic adventures from the book. If you dont have them and want to play then I can add in one more person. We play tonight at 9pm central until around midnight but will need to get in contact with you prior to that to get you set up. Drop me a pm with your email and phone # and I can reach out.

Puzzle
March 4th, 2010, 03:17
I didnt get a chance to contact you today but im still interested for next week, and at least that wont be such a rush to sort things out!

il send u a PM with contact info

Aracon
March 5th, 2010, 05:36
Our intrepid investigators made it to the old Corbitt House and discovered the Chapel of Contemplation. No deaths but chalk up one broken camera.

We attempted to use maptools but ended up using FG2 maps. It is a bit clunky trying to use both without everyone having two monitors.

My kingdom for FG2 maps that have line of sight like maptools ;)

Also a weakness of the cthulhu ruleset is getting players a price list. I've managed to set up a shared google document with a spreadsheet but would like to have had a way to share that inside FG2 but haven't discovered how to.

I also found a decent Cthulhu token set over at maptools that worked OK.

I'm wanting to convert Secrets of NY into FG2 but the pdf download was pretty bad from Chaosium. The columns won't copy right and the text is integrated with pictures and is hard to copy into FG2. The pdf is smudgy. Too bad Chaosium didn't spend a little time getting a good pdf for sale.... the one I purchased wasn't worth it.

Overall though, we've had fun and could add one more player.

Aracon
March 13th, 2010, 02:42
The campaign is going great. One of the players commented "I never thought this would work, but it feels like we are all sitting around the table playing".

I drew up some nice maps and we have been enjoying the virtual interface. This game is currently full but I might consider running a second game on Sunday nights after work slows down a bit.

I am starting to learn how to use the maps and masking and while I still like the line of sight and lighting in maptools, FG2 works pretty good and is easier to flip between maps with tokens and such.

lhide
March 16th, 2010, 09:41
if u start a new one, coun me in!:D

snafusan
March 23rd, 2010, 22:05
Heya,

I'm in the GMT time zone but I'd be interested in finding some CoC/RM/D&D games :)

I think I may have PM'd you already actually.

Aracon
March 24th, 2010, 01:32
The Wed night 9pm CST group is currently filled. I will start a new thread for an additional game.

Aracon
March 25th, 2010, 00:12
Actually, lets use this thread.

Recruiting is officially open for a second Call of Cthulhu group. I am searching for six players who are new to Call of Cthulhu and have not played through the scenarios. If you have run through some of the scenarios, please be sure to tell me which ones so I don't use them.

Results from campaign #1: One player was hit in the head with a 12 gauge shotgun at point blank range doing an impale and 30 hit points of damage...... SPLAT.....

snafusan
March 25th, 2010, 19:13
Hello,

I'm relatively new to CoC - having read some of the Lovecraft stuff to get a feel, but not enough to make me an authority on the matter ;-)

I GM'd a game a long time ago using the intro mission from the 3rd edition book with the undead guy buried under the house.. Beyond that, this is all new territory to me and I've not brushed up on the rules :)

I'm in the GMT time zone but hopefully we can sort something out?

I usually play Rolemaster but have done AD&D, D&D3.5 and others in my time.

Count me in :]

Aracon
March 26th, 2010, 04:26
We are at four possibiles.... two more slots open for the new campaign.

Filling up fast... again looking mostly for Call of Cthulhu newbies or casual players for this game of CoC. I will put together a real campaign at a future date with some original stuff but for now would just like to run some casual games. Thx.

Aracon
March 27th, 2010, 04:52
We have two new players for group two finish up their characters. We have four more possibles so if you want in a game, be sure to jump now.

BTW Both groups are going to co-exist in one campaign. This should get interesting as actions from one group will affect the other.

I will start posting IC things on this thread and not give OOC updates going forward.

Aracon
March 27th, 2010, 04:54
Group #1 might need a new recruit... it runs 9pm-11:30 Wed nights.

Group #2 is TBD either Wed or Fri 7-9:30

Central USA time (GMT-5 daylight savings I think)

The Cruachan
March 27th, 2010, 14:51
If your second group does get off the ground, I'd be interested, though it would need to the on the Friday night and start near 7pm Central US time, as I'm five hours ahead which would make it a midnight start for me. Are you using extensive chat as my wife may be unamused at that time of night (at least where I am), not to mention my accent, though my typing is pretty reasonable. I'm aware this is far from ideal. Still worth a speculative punt (that’s a bet, just in case that one is lost mid Atlantic).

I was also looking at your post for Rolemaster, but I’ll post there direct when I get a moment, not trying to mess up you thread here.

Cheers

snafusan
March 27th, 2010, 16:27
We were talking about chat last night, seems that group #2 has a preference for text based chat. (We've got at least two hardcore computer geeks in the group so typing isn't an issue)

Though I don't want to steal Aracons thunder. I'll let him tell you the facts :-)

Also, definately poke him about Rolemaster. Turns out he knows his stuff and I'm quite up for having a game with him too ;-)

Aracon
March 27th, 2010, 19:05
Group #2 is definitely off the ground and running. It will either be 6:45pm-9pm USA Central Time (GMT -6 but we are on daylight savings) Wed or Fri weekly depending upon negotiations with my boss (wife). We will have a firm stop time at 9pm for our frail European friends who don't have the stamina of being awake past 3am ;) (j/k - I pass out at 1am myself being an old man).

We still have one open slot on group #2 but I am certain it will fill up within 24 hours ... first come first served as I want to cap the groups at six each so everyone has a chance to play.

I will continue to use this thread (Fantasy Grounds permitting) for Out of Character talk and hope to open up something in-character to include obituaries, news articles, weekly reports, etc. that both groups can access.

I also will open up a GM Tools location for other Call of Cthulhu GMs who might like to use some of our maps, characters, etc. but that will be by request only so you will need to email me if you are a CoC GM looking for things.

BTW there is a great community here of folks and quite the interest in Call of Cthulhu games.

The group wants to do text chatting. I personally prefer a combination so that it feels like we are at a table together, but wel will try text first.

The Cruachan
March 27th, 2010, 19:18
Well I’ve got my fingers crossed that your good lady wife says Friday ‘cause not too sure I could get up at 6.00am on a Thursday to go to works after just finishing a FG session 3 hours before. :square:

Aracon
March 28th, 2010, 02:11
7pm central on Friday is a GO!

One slot left.... five with characters.

Also, the 9pm Wed slot has one opening

Both games are central standard (-6GMT) daylight savings

We play 2.5 hours max.

Xitan
March 28th, 2010, 13:31
Hi I'm fairly new to CoC (I've played the board games plenty but nothing RP). I'd be interested in either spot if still open and you wouldn't mind a CoC newbie. The Wed slot fits better if preference matters.

Thanks!

Aracon
March 28th, 2010, 16:03
Xitan, drop me an email and add me to skype as per my personal message to you.

Aracon
March 28th, 2010, 16:04
AT THE MOMENT, BOTH GROUPS ARE FILLED.

STAY TUNED FOR ONE ADDITIONAL GROUP FOR MORE EXPERIENCED PLAYERS.

If anyone wants to be on standby, post here and if we have openings I will let you know, first come first served.

Aracon
March 29th, 2010, 02:10
With overflowing interest in groups #1 and #2, I am officially opening up my third group.

Game time will be Friday nights 9:30pm to midnight (central USA) time.

Perfect for the west coasters.

All three groups will be able to interact (sort of).... selling goods to each other and swapping stories. I will have an overarching campaign theme that the events from one group WILL affect the others. Should be fun.

I am open to a bit more experience CoC players for this group but newbies are welcome. However, if you have played before you need to let me know what modules you have run or played so I can make sure I modify things enough to make it fun for you.

Cheers... amazing interest in Call of Cthulhu...

marcus_egan
March 29th, 2010, 02:14
i'm interested. What rulebook would I need to buy?

Aracon
March 29th, 2010, 14:36
no rulebook is needed.

I have the Call of Cthulhu ruleset from FG2 which includes just about everything we need. I added some house rules and additional content and everything is accessible through FG2.

I also have an ultimate license so if you are unlicensed that is OK. Although I have noticed that most people end up buying full licenses to run their own games after being exposed to FG2.

I will drop you a PM.

I think we are down to four open slots for the Friday 9:30-midnight CST game.

We are up to 15 confirmed PCs spread across all three groups.

They go fast...

marcus_egan
March 29th, 2010, 14:39
good deal, money is tight right now so if I didn't have to buy another rulebook that would be cool.

Thanks for keeping me in mind for this. I'd like to run my own game soon and I look forward to seeing how the pro's use this for their own games.

Aracon
March 29th, 2010, 14:56
Check your personal messages.

If you like Call of Cthulhu, the 6th edition rulebook is nice. I like the game mechanics and that is what we will use mainly because it was what came with the ruleset here in FG2.

The d20 version (I think Monte Cook either wrote it or co-authored it) is very nice as well.

But on a tight budget, no books are truly necessary... although everyone eventually buys them if for no other reason than to run a game with their friends.

Aracon
March 31st, 2010, 01:42
Hey everyone, with over a dozen characters complete, and two groups in motion, I am attempting to get group #3 filled out to uquickly.

If you are looking for a good roleplaying experience, check out Call of Cthulhu. It is easy to play, fun to roleplay and with three separate groups trying to unravel a grand evil plot to unleash sdjsdfkjvidvvvvvvv <static>

Aracon
April 1st, 2010, 16:14
The latest update is that we now have two very full groups for Wed and Friday 7pm CDT and are about half way to our mark for a Friday 9:30pm CDT group. We will be creating characters tomorrow night at 9:30 CDT - midnight CDT so if anyone wants in please be sure to join fast...

I am accepting any skill level with Cthulhu for this group. I just need to know what material you have read. played or own so that I can make this challenging for the grizzled experts out there while enabling some newer players to come up to speed.

Also this group will be run using Skype / headsets mostly. The earlier Friday group opted to go text and after running that for a couple hours I will be burned out of typing.... plus with a more experienced group I wont have everything uploaded and scripted for adventures.

Cheers.

snafusan
April 4th, 2010, 01:53
Great game so far. Group #2 as it's been mentioned - is mostly text based. This format is working well so far as the out of character banter is kept to skype and we focus on in character stuff through text, which (in my opinion) helps to focus the imagination and avoid going off the rails too much.

We're about to embark on our first investigation. We got off to a late start and were short a couple of players (one turned up later due to timezone confusion and another couldn't make it due to personal reasons)

If any of you get a chance to join in on one of these games, the GM clearly has a lot of experience and is good at keeping groups focussed on their goal. Also put in a lot of preperation work for a good gaming experience - which has gone down a treat and is really appreciated. These games are focussed around roleplaying and dialogue for the most part, making it absolutely necessary to pay attention to the plot and dialogue - which is a refreshing change from hack and slash.

Highlights of our introductory game so far have been:

* All the intellectually orientated players failing miserably to be intelligent, while our Japanese sumo counterpart succeeded in every intelligence based task you could imagine.

* Some rather unique approaches to bartering with NPCs to get our investigators paid. I really do mean unique.

Really looking forward to this plot unfolding. Already got my eye on a shifty seeming NPC...

marcus_egan
April 4th, 2010, 01:57
man... sounds awesome

snafusan
April 4th, 2010, 12:28
man... I wish I hadn't withdrawn. The other game I thought was going on hasn't
materialized. Are there open spots left GM?

About your original reply (I got the email notification) - might be worth dropping the GM a line (via pm) to see if you can get in still. As I say we had a couple of no-showers, though we still managed to get a full group. Certainly worth asking anyway :)

marcus_egan
April 4th, 2010, 14:55
I spoke too soon, I think I will be cleansing the Imperium from subversive and destructive enemies of Man after all

Aracon
April 4th, 2010, 16:26
We do have room for the 9:30 pm game on Friday. Both the 9pm on Wed and 7pm on Friday are full (Central Daylight Time). (GMT-6)

The Wed game went really well with the players thinking they were taking a break to go to a Jazz concert by one of the players who is a Jazz Musician that turned out to include a mysterious assassination-style hit on an accountant, a chase through the packed ballroom only to see the hit man screech off in a Packard. (with a subsequent failure on spot hidden to catch the license plate).

Group #2 went well but is a bit slower paced with an all-text game, but includes quite a bit more in-character roleplaying. The Sumo Wrestler certainly had the rolls of the week across all groups, and he wins the weekly Lucky Charm award (for hitting all of his rolls). The Private Eye wins the RolePlaying Laugh award for the following:

(paraphrased)

Private Eye Jake: We will take the assignment for $1,000 each.
Attorney Dodge: I would agree to $1,000 total.
Private Eye Jake: "DEAL!"
Group: "WHAT THE ...!!!! Jake is done being our bargainer!!!"

As a side note the player playing Jake has been gaming with me since we were kids so I can pick on him freely. He always seems to die in games and we pick on him relentlessly but he keeps coming back for more. Real life rocket scientists aren't necessarily known for their haggling skills, lol.

Group #3
Has two characters and several more on the way.. We should be filled up by mid week and that will be it for my gaming time... so if you are reading this and on the fence, join up fast before it fills up.

Aracon
April 10th, 2010, 16:23
Updates for the week:

Group #1 (Wednesday 9pm CDT-11:30pm
Wed group had some spring breaks so we were unable to get the group in motion, but rumor has it that there is a big disturbance at a Jazz hall in NYC...

Group #2 (Friday 7pm CDT-9:15pm)
Featured a lot of great roleplaying with the resident Sumo Wrestler once again saving the day for clueless (bad dice rolling) investigators.

Group #3 (Friday 9:30 CDT - midnight)
We did get the game in motion but could use 1-2 more players. Some excellent roleplaying and Chinese mysticism made this group very fun.

Overall, a great week with the dice rolling award going to Henderson for snapping an excellent picture of a farmhouse. And the psychology award that makes our resident sumo wrestler not only intimidating but with near mind reading powers.