PDA

View Full Version : Extension Scripts

steev42
February 6th, 2010, 20:21
So, I'm not sure if this problem is related to the crashing problem I reported last time (which I haven't been able to duplicate again since then), but it may be.

It seems that the scripts directory of my Pathfinder extension is not overwriting the same files in the scripts directory of the D20_JPG ruleset. My players keep getting repeated errors about an inability to reference a variable--when I tracked down the location, I wasn't using that variable on that location--but the ruleset was.

Am I missing something obvious? I thought the extension files were supposed to override automatically.

Griogre
February 6th, 2010, 21:24
The extension files do override the ruleset files. Some things to check:

1) Case - xml is case sensitive - make sure file name(s) are exactly the same as the ones in the ruleset.

2) Context - make sure you are overriding the filename in the right place. If you are doing it in the wrong place the extention just adds it to that wrong place and doesn't end up overriding what you wanted it to, leaving the original ruleset file still working.

3) This is less likey but remember extention changes happen only on load. You can't do conditionally dynamic from an extention because it only runs once so it will do the conditional only at the time of load.

steev42
February 7th, 2010, 00:26
The files aren't called out specifically in the extension.xml file. They are called in <script file="XXX" /> . Would that make a difference?

Leonal
February 7th, 2010, 01:49
While it's not much help, our group got tired of repeated errors by using a Pathfinder extension and ended up just modifying the ruleset files directly instead.

Hoping things work out with Paizo for an official ruleset though. :)

Griogre
February 7th, 2010, 04:17
The files aren't called out specifically in the extension.xml file. They are called in <script file="XXX" /> . Would that make a difference?
File names may have been misleading in my first post. I should have said the name of what ever you are overriding - scrip, function, class or some other FG widgit.

steev42
February 7th, 2010, 14:57
So...if I override the file, but don't have every single method from the original in my extension, I'll get errors?

That's probably the issue, then. Since I rewrote about 50% of the character sheet from the ruleset, the scripts had things removed.

steev42
February 9th, 2010, 22:30
Double post, but same issue.

I've been playing some, trying to figure this issue out, and I came across something telling.

In GM mode, everything works perfectly well. No script errors at all. All the skills appear (the issue only appears to be with a single script file, by the way).

In client mode, even when running and connecting to localhost, the script errors appear (referencing the ruleset file) and the only skill that is listed is Intimidate. Trying to select Intimidate as a class skill fails (as it's trying to call a method I wrote for the extension) and gives an error.

So--any idea why it would work perfectly fine in GM mode, but not for clients?

Moon Wizard
February 9th, 2010, 23:56
Steev,

If you send me a copy of your extension via private message, I can see if I can help you debug the issue. Please include a series of steps to follow to recreate the issue.

Cheers,
JPG