PDA

View Full Version : Fg2 Font Editor

neilgfoster
February 3rd, 2010, 12:02
Hi all, first time poster, so bear with me.

I recently purchased fg2 and started playing around with creating my own rulesets. When creating new fonts, I found that the existing editor tool didn't always to a great job, plus I wanted to be able to create some special characters that represent the output of custom dice rolls.

Therefore, I have had a go at decoding the font file format used by fg2. From this, I have started to create a simple editor which ultimatley will allow you to create new, or edit existing font files.

My first version is now done, although 'Editor' is a bit misleading at the moment - at present you can only view files, however, now I have decoded the file format, I should be able to add the rest of the functionality pretty quickly.

You can download the latest version from my website (https://www.theforbiddentome.com/fantasygrounds/fg2fontedit)

Please, let me know what you think, plus if you have any problems. Im hoping to turn this little application into something useful, and all your feedback will help.

Cheers

drahkar
February 3rd, 2010, 13:12
I would probably check with Doug before you get to heavy into the project just to make sure you aren't stepping on any toes licensing wise. Often cases there are rules against reverse engineering things in an application.

neilgfoster
February 3rd, 2010, 13:19
Thanks for the advice. I dont want to be stepping on any toes, especially as Ive found fg2 a great product.

Zeus
February 3rd, 2010, 16:41
You beat me to it. This was on my list of things to do. :)

I downloaded your PoC tool and ran a couple of my custom fonts through it. This could turn out to be very, very useful. The current official tool is a bit hit n miss with its output and I hate the way the app closes after each font conversion. For large number of font changes your forever having to restart the tool.

I do agree though that you should seek permission from Doug before continuing however I would hope given the current workload Smitworks are facing he won't be against it.

Would you make the source code available as an open source project to the community or do you intend to keep the source closed?

neilgfoster
February 3rd, 2010, 17:02
Ive contacted doug so will let you know what his response is. If he is happy with it being open source, then Im fine with making the source code available.

neilgfoster
February 3rd, 2010, 19:38
Great news. Doug has been replied and is fine with the creation of a font editing tool, and has even offered to make the completed version available for download through this site.

So for now I am going to press on with the next version which will include basic editing functionality. Once Im a bit further along then will look into making the code available as well.

Zeus
February 3rd, 2010, 20:10
Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the new version.

Oberoten
February 3rd, 2010, 21:13
Awesome... and VERY VERY useful. I can certainly think of few interesting ways to make use of custom-fonts.

neilgfoster
February 10th, 2010, 14:21
Hey all,

I have released the next version of my font editor. This version now allows you to open and edit existing font files using basic paint brush and colour picker tools.

Again, this is available to download from my website here (https://www.theforbiddentome.com/Tools/Fg2FontEdit.aspx)

Comments and feedback welcome

Zeus
February 10th, 2010, 15:39
Looking good. Nice clean interface. :D

Requests:

- selection tool
- move selection tool (good for quick re-alignment needs)
- ruler guides

Keep up the good work.

neilgfoster
February 10th, 2010, 15:56
Thanks. Ill put those things down on the list of next things to tackle :)