PDA

View Full Version : Posting Files for Players

Fot5
February 2nd, 2010, 00:52
I'm starting a new campaign, and I have a few questions about posting files for players to download to speed up the initial connect time.

1) If I load the campaign and then connect to it via the localhost, I should get the campaign.dat file in my Cache folder. My understanding is that, if players download this into an appropriately named folder in their own Cache folders, then this will speed up connection time. Correct?

2) If I have library modules (e.g., player's handbook) that I want to make available to players, then my understanding is that they will need the .mod version of those files placed into their own Modules folder. Making these available for them to download ahead of time will speed up connection time, correct?

3) Is there any point in having the players download the ruleset being used ahead of time?

Thanks.

HDresden
February 2nd, 2010, 01:36
I'm not sure about 1.. but 2 and three are Yes. I'll be honest though the first connect shouldn't take more then 10-15 minutes tops. And after that it's a breeze.

Leonal
February 2nd, 2010, 02:19
For #1, yes. Our group does it frequently due to buggy connections and also to preload images into said cache.

Foen
February 2nd, 2010, 06:25
For #2 it depends on the module type. A client.xml module must be installed locally, a common.xml module will be in the campaign cache.