PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone created a way to play card games in Fantasy Grounds?

Paladin's Pride
February 1st, 2010, 22:11
I'd like to be able to run Three-dragon Ante during my 4e game on Fantasy Grounds II. Has anyone created a ruleset that can be used to play a card game like that?

tdewitt274
February 1st, 2010, 22:30
I thew out some thoughts and concepts awhile ago (I can send a link later), but I have not figured out scripting it.

I woul like to work on this project. If anyone would like to help develope, let me know. I need a project to get my LUA legs.

Todd

Zeus
February 2nd, 2010, 01:26
I have been working on a Three Dragon Ante extension for the new 4E ruleset. Its still in a prototype stage with basic functionality in place. It makes use of an adapted 4E v2 combat tracker framework for managing gambits and rounds.

The cards themselves are tokens which when hovered over reveal card details (powers still pending). The cards (tokens) are interactive (for the owner) allowing drag/drop to and from what I call the Three-Dragon Ante tracker.

I have routines for managing the deck, drawing cards, placing ante, placing stakes, raising stakes, calculating flight totals and determining round order and initial stakes. I also have a basic messaging framework in place (again leveraging and adapted version of moon_wizards excellent client/server messaging framework) which manages client requests and chat status messages. Player hand windows are still under development.

As the tokens are re-created versions of the real cards I suspect I will not be able to distribute this extension unless I remove the card content. This should allow for public distribution without infringing upon WotC IP or copyright. Users will therefore of course have to create their own token cards to make use of this 4E extension.

I haven't been able to work on this extension lately due to other priorities but I should be able to find some time soon to complete it. I'll update this thread with any progress, in the meantime here's a screenshot for you.

Paladin's Pride
February 6th, 2013, 22:20
I assume this project was eventually dropped, Dr. Zeuss?

Zeus
February 9th, 2013, 21:04
Parked but not dropped. I tend to develop based upon what I believe will be more popular. I have my hands full with a new Parser and 5E ruleset at the moment, but once thats done I could revisit if there's enough interest.

Blackfoot
February 10th, 2013, 21:27
This actually looks pretty nifty... I'm not sure how it'd play into a game but... cool. :)

JFK
February 11th, 2013, 22:06
Cool idea. I'd worked ever so slightly on MP Scrabble using FGII. Didn't get far, of course.

Laconiclament
April 4th, 2013, 17:46
Great idea! Being a 3.5 player, is hoping for something to be drummed up within the 3.5 ruleset too high a hope?

Zeus
April 4th, 2013, 18:28
Great idea! Being a 3.5 player, is hoping for something to be drummed up within the 3.5 ruleset too high a hope?

Yes it should work with 3.5E. I think I have decided to put it back on the Project list :)

Question: would this work better as a standalone ruleset or would you all prefer to see it as an extension to ADD/ADD2/3.5E/4E/5E editions of the available D&D rulesets?

The latter will allow for in campaign play whilst the former would be completely standalone. I originally wrote it as an extension for 4E so that players from my current FR campaigns could play with their PCs whilst in game (if that makes sense).

BTW: I also have prototypes of Dwarves & Trolls and Drunken Daggers. I could also dig these out of there's enough interest. Warning though, these games are hazardous to your PCs health and should be used with caution. Very ammusing though and always lead to laughs.

Laconiclament
April 4th, 2013, 18:32
Personally, I like the idea of being able to play it while loaded into a campaign. I'm new to the community and not well versed on what this would mean for those who want to play it standalone, but I can't imagine it'd be that much of an inconvenience.

Of course there's hazards...you mention dwarves, trolls, AND drunkenness! How could that possibly end well!? :P

JamesManhattan
June 14th, 2013, 21:01
If you are looking to play cards or boardgames, check out
https://www.vassalengine.org/

Most every board game and card game has been put into vassal, but one problem is copyright holders of certain games try to pull their games off of vassal. A lot of them compromise and just ask that a select set of card or other component gets left out. So it forces players to own an actual copy of the game.