PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test Always Fails

netminder69
January 25th, 2010, 15:42
v. 2.6.4. Always, always, always. The IP address is correct. I don't have a static IP on my PC, but it's always the same regardless. My port is forwarded. I tried it with and without Windows Firewall on. When it was on I added FG as an exception. It didn't work so I turned it off and it still didn't work.

I haven't had anyone else try to connect. Am I pulling my hair out for a reason? Or is the FG server test just not working any more and I am stressing out over nothing?

Sorontar
January 25th, 2010, 16:10
I haven't had anyone else try to connect. Am I pulling my hair out for a reason? Or is the FG server test just not working any more and I am stressing out over nothing?

I just checked mine and it still runs the external IP check and connection test successfully so it hasn't just stopped working.

Do you use a router that assigns internal IPs? Is your port forwarding now wrong because another piece of hardware has taken up the internal IP forwarded to?

Probably a good idea to provide your current set up connection, modem , router etc so one of the network bods that lurk here can help.

Spyke
January 25th, 2010, 16:12
You say that your port is forwarded, but this is the most likely reason for the test to be failing. (The FG server test is still working.)

One thing to look for is whether another entry in the port forwarding list is claiming the port you are using for FG, which is 1802 by default. Sometimes things get added that ask for a range of ports, which can include 1802 without you noticing.

While you're checking the port forwarding settings it's worth double-checking that it is set to go to the current internal IP address of your PC as shown in FG if you've not got a static address set. I know you say that you're OK here, but I've been caught by that before when I've been so certain...

What's your router and PC setup?

EDIT: Rats. Ninja'd by Sorontar.

Spyke

netminder69
January 30th, 2010, 04:13
I have a Netgear router. My PC is on a wired connection. Firewall is turned off currently. The port 1802 is being forwarded to 192.168.0.12 which is the PCs internal IP. Nothing else that is being forwarded has the number in its range. No ports are blocked.

Before I hit Submit Reply I booted it up and tested it and, son of a gun, it says success now. It kept saying failed before. This doesn't make any sense...

Oberoten
January 30th, 2010, 05:27
Chances are that you have either got some kind of malware running silently in the background using the same port or that you had a shadow-version of FG running in the background that didn't show up on the taskmanager.

- Obe

ddavison
January 30th, 2010, 17:21
Chances are that you have either got some kind of malware running silently in the background using the same port or that you had a shadow-version of FG running in the background that didn't show up on the taskmanager.

- Obe

Shadow version is pretty likely. If it fails to shut down properly at some point, you no longer see a User Interface screen for it, but it is still present and running on the system. This means that it will jump in and take some of the received FG network traffic for processing and the "legitimate" copy of FG that is running never gets those packets.