PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Video Competition: Win a $149 Ultimate License!

ddavison
January 22nd, 2010, 04:50
I've been seeing various fan-made videos and developer releases for D&D, the Microsoft Surface with D&D and other related issues and noticed that we don't have any videos. This might be a good way to get some exposure on there and bring in new players. The person that does the best job at this will win an ULTIMATE license. 2nd place will receive a free full license and 3rd place will receive a free lite license. Other prizes of equal or lesser value may be substituted on request of the winner.

You are free to use any of the suggested topics or themes listed below or come up with some other creative idea that involves Fantasy Grounds in some positive way.

Suggested Topics or Themes

Gameplay footage or campaign log
Product Review (can be ruleset or module review)
Interview/Documentary with your game group
Tutorial
Fictional story filmed with visuals from FG

We will be coming out with an official formula for determining the winner and we will post it here. This is the first shot at it:

Scoring
Rating * Number of Ratings
+ Views / 100
x 1.5 for the video with the most views
x 1.25 for the video with the 2nd most views
x 1.5 for the video with the highest rating
x 1.25 for the video with the 2nd highest rating
x 1.25 for my personal favorite
x 1.25 for JPG's personal favorite

Requirements:

Videos must be at least 3 mins long
The description of the video must include the name Fantasy Grounds II
the description of the video must link to www.fantasygrounds.com
You must register a user account here and post a link to your video in this thread to be considered
the video must have some obvious connection to Fantasy Grounds
contest ends March 31st, 2010 (scores tallied then)
you are free to enter your video any time before then
you are free to submit as many videos as you like

Sigurd
January 22nd, 2010, 05:22
The earlier its up the more hits you might get.

tdewitt274
January 23rd, 2010, 05:04
Some tools:

16 free screen capturing software alternative for Camtasia (https://www.techbuzz.in/16-free-screen-capturing-software-alternative-for-camtasia.php)

ddavison
January 23rd, 2010, 21:07
Thanks for the post tdewitt274. Another one not on the list is Fraps.

ddavison
February 12th, 2010, 02:18
To better support this competition, we added the code that allows people to embed youtube videos inside their posts. Just copy the video ID from your video and wrap the youtube tag around it.

Example URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D555XkukMqU

Replace it with:

{youtube}D555XkukMqU{/youtube}

...but use square bracket instead of curly braces. Look for the YouTube Icon on your edit toolbar.

D555XkukMqU

sdompy
February 16th, 2010, 08:09
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc8w5z_cthulhu-via-fantasy-grounds-2-jdrvi_videogames

Call of Cthulhu by french players.

ddavison
March 12th, 2010, 00:11
Here is the keynote speech from GamesU 2009 in which Erik Mona from Paizo mentions Fantasy Grounds and virtual tabletops.
kKp7Vi1apto

Don't forget, the contest deadline is March 31st.

BruntFCA
March 12th, 2010, 14:05
How did they get that Movement Video in the Blood Bowl Pic? Seems kinda cool to me, or is it just an animated GIF.

ddavison
March 12th, 2010, 15:35
I'm guessing they used a video capturing tool like FRAPS to record the video from the game while it ran and then went back in and edited in the voice overs using windows movie maker or some other editing tool.

https://www.fraps.com/

Just make sure you have lots of hard drive space available because the original files get quite large very quickly.

ddavison
March 23rd, 2010, 17:29
Time is running out on this contest and so far we don't have any entries. If you are experienced at running a specific ruleset or just want to show off your current campaign, we would really love to see that added to our list of linked videos.

Xorne's videos covered the basics fairly well, but I would really like to see some that highlighted Rolemaster Classic, D20 Modern, Savage Worlds, Castles & Crusades or Call of Cthulhu.

sdompy
March 25th, 2010, 08:34
You already have the French Cthulhu video :)

Doswelk
March 25th, 2010, 13:42
Xorne's videos covered the basics fairly well, but I would really like to see some that highlighted Rolemaster Classic, D20 Modern, Savage Worlds, Castles & Crusades or Call of Cthulhu.
Your wish is my command:

Part 1:

gCu4s0apBbw

Part 2:

jy4Kys3cMcw

Combat Tracker Part 1:

o75sLaHgOcg

Combat Tracker Part 2:

Problems with audio have cut this one short....

v5X61xenhj8

Combat Tracker Part 3:

This one is hopefully HD! (it's a round of combat from tonight's session, so the FGII desktop is very wide!)

iGYaiXQniFM

Combat Tracker Part 4:

The Group Entry Box and Effects:

cs4fuxxSTkE

Creating a Campaign:

-65Ub5II1ks

ddavison
March 25th, 2010, 21:04
That is very good and will make a welcome addition to the community I think. I have two very minor suggestions that I think will make it even stronger.

1. Since this is specific to Savage Worlds, the title should probably be Fantasy Grounds and Savage Worlds Tutorial Part 1 or something to that effect.

2. The voice and the video get a little out of sync part way through the first video. The 2nd video appears to be spot on throughout. It is still easy enough to follow, but you have a few times when you actually hear typing when nothing is occurring and then see the typing on screen later on.

You already have the French Cthulhu video :)

Sdompy, I think that is great. We just need them to post it to YouTube since we are trying to maximize our visibility there for this competition. It would also be nice to see it in English along with French if that is possible for them.

Doswelk
March 25th, 2010, 22:25
That is very good and will make a welcome addition to the community I think. I have two very minor suggestions that I think will make it even stronger.

1. Since this is specific to Savage Worlds, the title should probably be Fantasy Grounds and Savage Worlds Tutorial Part 1 or something to that effect.

2. The voice and the video get a little out of sync part way through the first video. The 2nd video appears to be spot on throughout. It is still easy enough to follow, but you have a few times when you actually hear typing when nothing is occurring and then see the typing on screen later on.

1) Done! :D

2) Ah that's due to YouTube limit on only allowing 10 mins of video (wish I knew that before I started!) I'll just try harder next time!

kalmarjan
March 25th, 2010, 23:33
If anyone wanted me to do a translation in French, I would be more than happy!

dm-crazy
March 29th, 2010, 19:07
My first video! :)
First Video (about GM Screen)
Gm Screen Part 1
7_tRb6MdTIc
Gm Screen Part 2
k8lQBGakdbU
Tutorial about effects
23xz41hUmUc
Amazing Star Wars Saga Ruleset
QyoeKykOadU

Doswelk
March 30th, 2010, 18:43
Combat Tracker Part 2:

Problems with audio have cut this one short....

v5X61xenhj8

ddavison
March 30th, 2010, 21:47
Tomorrow is the deadline to submit your youtube videos for the competition. We obviously welcome you to post videos to youtube after the fact but only those videos submitted by the end of the day tomorrow will be considered in the judging.

Be sure to follow the links over to youtube and rate the ones you like the best.

-Doug

Doswelk
March 31st, 2010, 00:41
Combat Tracker Part 3:

This one is hopefully HD! (it's a round of combat from tonight's session, so the FGII desktop is very wide!)

iGYaiXQniFM

dm-crazy
March 31st, 2010, 10:41
Enjoy more videos! (Tutorial about effects and Star Wars Saga Edition ruleset) :p

zWolf
March 31st, 2010, 19:32
Your wish is my command:

Part 1:

Video 1

Part 2:

Video 2

Combat Tracker Part 1:

Video 3

These look like they would be extraordinarily helpful!!, the only thing is, I can't hear them at all.. well, I can hear some one 'whispering' I think in the background... but my audio is cranked all the way up, on the computer and speakers, and still just minor muttering can be heard.

It looks like Doswelk has put a lot of time and effort into these, it's unfortunate that they can't be heard. :-( any chance of a 're-record' of the audio so that it works?

thanks,

zWolf -out.

Doswelk
March 31st, 2010, 19:58
I was using a trial version of Camtasia 6 and for some reason the sound was poor.

The HD video (the last post I did) was using the trial version of 7 and on my PC at least it did seem better.

I will re-do them in 7 soon!

It would appear that I am suffering from the not yet fixed Windows 7 microphone bug!

Just using a driver cleaner to remove all and see what happens....

dm-crazy
April 1st, 2010, 02:45
Doswelk, i used the Camstudio, thats free, and not so poor :) if try u will enjoy :D

Doswelk
April 1st, 2010, 15:52
I will probably have to in 28 days time!

The problem is a Windows 7 thing rather than Camtasia. Removing all drivers and rebooting seems to have stabilised things for now..

ddavison
April 1st, 2010, 22:02
Okay, the winners are in. While I expected a little more competition, my hat is off two the two participants who created videos. These are a great benefit to the community and hopefully this will stoke some additional interest in FG and help to more easily demonstrate FG in action.

Thanks guys.

First Place: Doswelk (wins an ultimate license)
Second Place: dmcrazy (wins a full license)
Third Place: vacant

To each of the winners, please contact me at [email protected] and let me know if you want the default prize for each or if you would prefer something else of equal or lesser value in exchange.

-Doug

Doswelk
April 2nd, 2010, 07:46
Thank you Doug!

Thank you everyone who watched my videos!

Did not get this one posted in time but here is the final part of the Combat Tracker HOW-TOs:

Combat Tracker Part 4:
cs4fuxxSTkE

dm-crazy
April 3rd, 2010, 02:54
Well, thats why i love Fantasy Grounds... Soon i will upload some videos: * How u can creat a ventrilo server to improve ur game role play instead chatting; Diferents Systens in FG (like nWoD, Shadow Run); Combat Tracker in 4e! :)
Ty Doug (and equip too) for that, and ty community to help improve FG ;)
I wating for new competition! :p

Invain63
April 6th, 2010, 16:06
Thank you SO much for making these videos Doswelk! They are very useful, and I learned a few new things that should help me run my game.

-Kevin McD

Doswelk
April 7th, 2010, 16:21
Thank you for watching them! I can use the money I saved from not having to buy a Ultimate License towards buying Camtasia some day! (in the mean time I'll try Cam Studio as DM crazy suggested)

Please free to post requests for more!

dm-crazy
April 7th, 2010, 17:32
Here is the camstudio (https://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSFY71L2). Thats FREE! ;)

tdewitt274
April 9th, 2010, 03:09
I wasn't going to chime in until the event was over. First off, I'd like to applaud Smite Works for having the contest, as well as the entries! They're very helpful!

Just a thought, but I think a more fair option for the contest would be to state that you were going to do the contest and then have everyone post on X date. This would give everyone a fair chance based on the rules. I think some people might have been put off on entering if they couldn't get their presentations running in time.

Again, thanks for everyone that submitted! I only wish I had the ability to post what I was thinking of doing (modifying code).

Thanks!

ddavison
April 9th, 2010, 05:48
Thanks for the feedback. If there seems like there is enough interest for a future contest, we may have another one in the Fall or again next Spring. Your suggestion makes sense, though, so we will try to give a little more advanced notice and better rules to make it fair.

ZorxPotz
April 9th, 2010, 07:16
what i didn't understand is why the 3rd place was left vacant - the very first presentation was a sample of an actual game (cthulhu), which showed FG2 "live in action" which isn't that easy... not that i want to condemn the tutorials - not at all, as they're very helpful indeed - but imho they show only one side of the coin.

maybe the first entry didn't meet the prerequisites .. english language and the hosting of the video at youtube. i didn't have a look at them again - but liked the atmosphere of that french entry anyway - though i hardly comprehended its contents!

just my 0.02 $ ... cheerio!
:bandit:
zorX

ddavison
April 9th, 2010, 13:26
This competition was specifically planned to increase the youtube presence of FG, so the Cthulhu video would have been acceptable if they would have posted it to youtube as well. I got the impression that the person who posted it was not actually the author. Showing a game in progress was something I was hoping to see done as well, so it is a shame that it did not get posted to youtube.

Ayiden
April 9th, 2010, 14:48
Camstudio is an open source application that allows screen capture. Camstudio records your screen without ads. If simplicity is more important that free camtasia is a very nice commercial application I have used but it is expensive.

dm-crazy
April 9th, 2010, 18:48
For exemple i live in Brazil, here we talk portuguese, and some other English too, but French, is so hard to find someone who talks that! :) Well that competition is about show how works (i dont know if that is the word) fantasygrounds program! ;)