PDA

View Full Version : Running Adventures from DDi?

Hye Jedi
January 18th, 2010, 21:07
Hi all - I've recently become a DDi subscriber and was hoping to run some of the adventures contained within the pages of Dungeon magazine. Being new to FG and not having ever DMed before I thought some of these "one shot" adventures might be good to cut my teeth on so to speak.

What are the legal issues with my running these? i.e. using downloaded maps, content, etc. Is it just a matter of me not "sharing" and everything would be fine. I know there are others that are running the SoW campaign and I was evening considering Chaos Scar once I get some practice.

Thanks for the help.

ddavison
January 18th, 2010, 21:14
You can freely host a game which uses maps and text from the adventures, provided you do not distribute those maps, text, etc. Even though the images will be displayed to connected players at various points during the game, this is all covered under Fair Use. It is not substantially different than printing a map and showing it to players around a table. When your game is concluded and the players disconnect, they no longer have access to those materials and therefore it could not reasonably be considered as distribution of copyright.

You would NOT be able to convert everything into a packaged adventure module and post that up on the web or send copies to other people.

Hye Jedi
January 18th, 2010, 21:45
Thanks for the quick reply, Doug... that is exactly what I was hoping to hear! ;) I'm looking forward to giving this a go sometime soon.