PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Would This Be?

osarusan
January 16th, 2010, 10:44
I want to add the Elements of Magic (EN Publishing) system to Fantasy Grounds. We've been using it in my game for ages, and just keeping track of it manually because I don't know how to mod the character sheets yet.

Basically, it could just be a plugin that replaces the current magic/spells system. I'd like to be able to either replace the current magic tab of the character sheet, or even just add a new tab to the character sheet with EoM magic on it.

How difficult would this be? I've attempted to learn how to mod in the past, but good grief, it's complex, and I keep getting defeated by the task.

drahkar
January 16th, 2010, 11:59
I'm not familiar wit the changes that the Elements of Magic book give to the D20 system. Realistically there is a moderate amount of work and difficulty in implementing changes and additions to these systems.

Mostly it just takes time to work on it. There are resources on this site as well as on things like the FGWiki and Foen's Tutorials as well. They all have a little bits the help learn the process. Not to mention the large reservoir of information from the people in the forums. :)

In the end it is a matter of how much time you wish to put into the whole thing. Others might be willing to take on the task too, but the best way to assure it gets worked on it so simply start working on it. :)

Foen
January 16th, 2010, 12:59
In response to the direct question, it should be possible to replace the Foundation/3.5E/d20 Spells tab using an extension (by replacing the definition of charsheet_spells), so you don't have to mod a ruleset from scratch. It also means you can make use of new facilities as these are released in updated versions of the underlying ruleset.

Foen

osarusan
January 17th, 2010, 12:55
An extension seems like the right way to go, as it's meant to be a plug-in-able set of rules for any system. I'll take another look at the tutorials and videos, but I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to first learning how to do this and then actually doing it. The documentation is certainly impressive and quite informative, but even so the learning curve appears pretty steep.

Anyway, *crossing my fingers* let's see if I can figure something out...