PDA

View Full Version : [SURVEY] Desired Features

drahkar
January 15th, 2010, 09:21
In a ruleset, what are some features and functionality that you especially like to have? (These would be ones that are not included in base rulesets or may not have shown up in any rulesets yet)

What would make your experience as a GM or even as a player that much more rewarding? Is there something currently in place that really bothers you?

Post your thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Nilliom
January 15th, 2010, 13:23
I think that "The Box" should be something that is included in the base ruleset. Most game need to roll hidden dice and this option is fun for the players since they still have the sense of control that "they did the roll".

This could be set as an option in the preference menu of some rulesets.

Thanks

LilCthulhu
January 15th, 2010, 14:28
I think that "The Box" should be something that is included in the base ruleset. Most game need to roll hidden dice and this option is fun for the players since they still have the sense of control that "they did the roll".

This could be set as an option in the preference menu of some rulesets.

Thanks

I Second That !

wavecutter
January 15th, 2010, 14:43
I'd love to see true hex support.

Nilliom
January 15th, 2010, 15:48
I know this was asked before with the previous owners. But I think it would be interesting to have the possibility to access pdf or other type of files (but at least pdf) so that we can include them in notes, Stories and share them with the players. They could be written into a separate folder to be accessble and could be included maybe into a module.

Some information sometime is just to big to copy back all in Fantasy grounds, (where it also take a lot of time to prepare the stories) so we could include the file we need to referer at the right place in the stories or share them with the players like for props.

Thanks

Nilliom
January 15th, 2010, 15:51
The possibility in a ruleset to remove some dice from the surface when they are not needed would also be interesting. For example in the World of Darkness only the D10 is needed, so we could remove all other dice type.

Thanks

Nilliom
January 15th, 2010, 15:53
I would like to be able to change the representation of the dice that are shown when the dice are thrown in the chat (for the result). For example for the World of Darkness I could highlight the dice that are success (according to the roll type) in green, the other as normal and a dramatic failure as a red dice.

Thanks

drahkar
January 15th, 2010, 15:56

Could you be a little more specific? I've not played any hex based games in many years.

Valarian
January 15th, 2010, 16:26
The ability to print a character sheet from within the tool would be a nice to have.
Isn't this just starting up yet another wish list thread though.

drahkar
January 15th, 2010, 16:31
Yes, I was looking more regarding things that could be done within the ruleset itself. The dice change and printing character sheets would most likely require a software change.

Basically I'm looking for items that people would like to see in a ruleset to keep in mind as I'm working. PMs to me would work just as well, but I thought if it was posted here, everyone working on rulesets would benefit.

Spyke
January 15th, 2010, 17:28
What additional hex features would you need, Wavecutter? Things like measuring distances and area selection?

The existing hex grids and snap features seem to work well for me.

Spyke

wavecutter
January 15th, 2010, 17:40
Could you be a little more specific? I've not played any hex based games in many years.

What additional hex features would you need, Wavecutter? Things like measuring distances and area selection?

The existing hex grids and snap features seem to work well for me.

Spyke

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaded Hex Tokens that can be modified by a right mouse click to cycle through slice fractions could represent a number of different things. Having the shade color locked to the player die color would be neat too.

A couple of other ideas.

Token Modification. To modify tokens on right click, through a specific sequence. Like area affect tokens of scaling size.

Shaded Grid Overlay Drawing To shade grid maps by drawing lines through grid spaces and have the shaded grid overlay follow the contour of the line or lines drawn while still conforming to grid shape. (like a fitted sheet?)

Also, I was a bit ineloquent in my previous post, I should have said more instead of true.

LilCthulhu
January 15th, 2010, 20:04
Well,

It's not a ruleset as per more of an extension to FGII... Wouldn't be nice to be able to generate/create maps with sprites ? With automatic fogging if required... I don't want something very complicated, but maybe a sprite system a la ULTIMA 3-4 ;) with fantasy/modern/future sprites... That would be nice, kind of a dungeon generator but within the game :)

drahkar
January 15th, 2010, 20:52
I'm really just looking for ruleset features. RuleSet developers don't have access to the program code.

Ikael
January 15th, 2010, 21:04
Group-chat/channelling is one nice feature that I have been playing with. This is a split-the-party feature where every chat messages are filtered to players according to their "groupnumber".

spliskamatyshak
January 16th, 2010, 16:14
9 classes for characters in the 3.5 d20 ruleset!

Foen
January 16th, 2010, 21:31
Group-chat/channelling is one nice feature that I have been playing with. This is a split-the-party feature where every chat messages are filtered to players according to their "groupnumber".

Hehe, I added that to one of my homebrew rulesets and found it too useful: the difficulty is now trying to stop the party from splitting up (because they know they can use group chat)!

I then included the feature in the Base Ruleset (and WoD, I think), using /g for group chat, and allowing multiple groups (it sounds like it uses a similar mechanism to yours, as it has a group number). The GM drags one PC portrait (on the top left of the screen) onto another to start a group, and can then drag other portraits to the group to join them.

In the attached image, you can see Sayid and Vanhi in a chat group in my homebrew campaign. The Base Ruleset is similar but doesn't have numbers attached to the portraits (they were used in debugging and aren't needed in a live ruleset).

Foen

drahkar
January 17th, 2010, 00:16
Very nicely implemented. And an extremely useful idea. Going to have to keep that one in mind for sure.

tdewitt274
January 17th, 2010, 04:40
Icons like the Player chat for GM NPCs.

Ikael
January 17th, 2010, 10:01
Hehe, I added that to one of my homebrew rulesets and found it too useful: the difficulty is now trying to stop the party from splitting up (because they know they can use group chat)!

I then included the feature in the Base Ruleset (and WoD, I think), using /g for group chat, and allowing multiple groups (it sounds like it uses a similar mechanism to yours, as it has a group number). The GM drags one PC portrait (on the top left of the screen) onto another to start a group, and can then drag other portraits to the group to join them.

In the attached image, you can see Sayid and Vanhi in a chat group in my homebrew campaign. The Base Ruleset is similar but doesn't have numbers attached to the portraits (they were used in debugging and aren't needed in a live ruleset).

Foen

My implemented "channelling-system" is very similar with exception that it's always active (no need to activate it with slash commands). Players doesn't know which group they belong, but they do know who other players are in the same group (player's portraits are shown as faded when they don't belong to the same group). Each message (chat/die roll/drag-drop in chat/etc...) player and GM sends will be filtered according to the groupnumber.

There are 10 different "channels" from 0 to 9, where channels 1-9 are closed channels (will only receive messages from the same group and each sent message is send only to the same group) and the channel 0 (zero) is the global channel where you will receive every message send from any channel and every message you send will be send to every other channel as well.

Essentially GM will receive every message sent (of course!) but can eassily change his/her used groupnumber (to which group his messages will be sent) by scrolling the mousewheel on the chatentry. GM can assign players to different groups by scrolling on their portraits which will display number from 0 to 9 (representing the channel number) like in your screenshot.

In addition each GM channel will remember which GM-Identity was used previously in that channel and when GM changes his/her groupnumber his/her identity will automatically update to previous-used one.

This is very useful feature but the problem is, like you mentioned, players tend to split the group more because they know it's possible :p

Foen
January 17th, 2010, 10:25
Sounds like a really comprehensive and well-implented feature set! Would you be prepared to share it and put it on the Wiki?

Foen