PDA

View Full Version : Looking for game

mrgrey
January 13th, 2010, 23:47
I'm willing to play most systems, though I'd prefer to avoid D&D 3.5 (Pathfinder and 4e, however, are perfectly fine). I'm in the GMT time zone, though my online times are fairly flexible.

Valarian
January 14th, 2010, 08:42
You may like to have a look at the Google groups below if they fit with your availability. We tend to play a number of different systems, determining what to go to next when the current scenario finishes. Currently, there's a Mouse Guard game running on Friday night and a Call of Cthulhu: Dark Ages game running on Sunday night.

mrgrey
January 14th, 2010, 10:11
Well, I've applied for membership on both; 8-11pm is great. Thanks for that.

Spyke
January 14th, 2010, 11:35
Let me know if you're up for some GURPS 4e. I run the occasional one-shot, and am toying with kicking off some GURPS Traveller, either Interstellar Wars era or a return to the Classic adventures updated for GURPS.

Or maybe some Vorkosigan Saga...

Or...

Hmm...

Spyke

mrgrey
January 14th, 2010, 11:38
By all means let me know when you're running something; I don't get much chance to play GURPS; people seem to think it's too complicated :(.

drahkar
January 14th, 2010, 11:55
Wow. I have never heard too complicated and GURPS used in the same sentence before. Its actually how I got a new people hooked on RPGs in the past.

mrgrey
January 14th, 2010, 12:01
I can't understand it either. It's one of the simplest systems I've ever come across. Maybe it's because people are used to the rigidity of D&D classes, and aren't preprepared for just how much freedom they're given in character creation.

Spyke
January 14th, 2010, 16:09
When new players are faced with the huge diversity of possibilities for character creation in GURPS they can be overwhelmed. The system also has optional rules for just about any situation imaginable. It's hard for new players, particularly those crossing over from D&D for some reason, to see through this to the fact that 99% of it is optional.

The core system is simplicity itself, with most of the number-crunching done up front during character creation. For that reason, when introducing new players I like to hand out pre-generated characters.

GURPS Lite is also a great introduction, at 32 pages, and is full-featured enough for many people to use as the core system for their games.

(Steps off soap box and grins sheepishly.)

Spyke

mr_h
January 14th, 2010, 17:42
I use the Gurps Character Assistant Program to handle the number crunching. Chargen is the only part that I find difficult (mostly cause I have to use my fingers and toes to add 2+2). After that....it's a cinch.

/wants to join one of Spyke's games as well, time difference sucks :b

Spyke
January 14th, 2010, 21:20
/wants to join one of Spyke's games as well, time difference sucks :b
Weekends might be possible...

I need to see how 2010 shapes up. But since Foen made his Traveller skin, I'm itching to try it out!

I've also got a hankering to work through the original Classic Traveller Spinward Marches material (converted to GURPS) for those that have never encountered it. I've read it all, but only played a fraction of it.

Spyke

mrgrey
January 15th, 2010, 01:27
Saturdays would probably be for the best.

Also, I've never played Traveller, though I've got a copy of the GURPS source book.

Fot5
January 28th, 2010, 18:06
Here's an option if you're into really late nights (for GMT):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11639

mrgrey
January 29th, 2010, 00:05
Thanks for the offer, but that starts at midnight my time; I can't be staying up that late...