PDA

View Full Version : RMC Adventure file question/observation

Veldehar
January 13th, 2010, 22:47
Okay, I've had my own work around functioning for a long time now, which is great for my campaign, but I've been working on something I've considered for release as a companion for RMC, so I dug into trying to pull up my equipment list again! Well, I had the same luck... no matter what I did, I could not pull up my adventure_equipment.xml file. I checked again in the adventure.xml to make sure I had the <includefile source="adventure_equipment.xml" /> in there, and it was there. I then tried pulling up weapons, skills, spells and items from my reference_equipment file, and lo and behold! it would pull them up. Now I finally just muttered higgly piggly and went and stuck the
<includefile source="adventure_equipment.xml" /> into the base.xml file.

I'll be durned if all of a sudden my adventure_equipment.xml file was successfully being pulled up!

So, great, I know how to get it to work, but why didn't it work when placed in the adventure.xml that seems to load all the other "adventure_XXX.xml"s?

I hope that makes sense!

Veldehar the Puzzled

Foen
January 14th, 2010, 06:07
No reason I can think of for that to happen. You might try cutting and pasting the includefile tag back into adventure.xml, just in case the previous attempt included a typo.

Foen

Veldehar
January 14th, 2010, 16:14
I am just going to write it off as insanity... I took the includefile out of the base, pasted it right under the one in adventure.xml, and they are identical. I open FG2 and it works... I take it back out, and now, it works with the one that didn't work earlier!

It works now, so no reason to keep contemplating how the heck I managed this. I checked for typos many times, and retyped it many times before. Alls well that ends well, I guess.

Veldehar

drahkar
January 14th, 2010, 17:09
The order its pasted in the file can matter sometimes too.Perhaps that was the issue. Just a final, follow up thought.

Griogre
January 14th, 2010, 22:24
Also sometimes typos are not visible. IE if you miss Shift and press Ctrl instead and a letter it won't be a *visible* character but it will still be input into the string. You can also get into problems with spaces (not likely in this case) where a XML file is being parsed by FG or a script.

Veldehar
January 14th, 2010, 23:19
fun stuff! I will certainly keep that in mind down the line.

Veldehar