PDA

View Full Version : A quick idea

wavecutter
January 10th, 2010, 14:24
I was tooling around the forums this morning when I was struck by a slightly odd but nonetheless exciting idea.

What if the "desktop" for FG could display images such as an overland map? Then, as you party progresses you open up smaller "tactical" maps that are displayed in the customary FG fashion.

drahkar
January 10th, 2010, 16:11
Something like this wouldn't be impossible to setup. You already have images that can be set to the desktop and using panels you can add more content. It would mostly be a process of adding in code to gives you command control over what gets displayed there. Not impossible I don't believe, but it would take a lot of work.

Griogre
January 13th, 2010, 07:39
I did something like that with my Pirate's Skin. The basic campaign map is placed on the desktop. I did that because thought it would help both with ambiance and give the players a working overview of the game's setting.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/PotSMDesktop.png

Currently there are two things to think about if you want to do this:

1) The desktop image is not changeable during a session.

2) You need to decide how you want your desktop to look in multiple resolutions. The reason I put the "map" on the "blotter paper" was regardless of the resolution or screen mode the map stays centered on the blotter paper.

Veldehar
January 18th, 2010, 15:16
I love that look, I might have to look into that for my campaign, useful and gives things a "feel".

Veldehar