PDA

View Full Version : Traveller(tm) Graphics Theme

Foen
January 10th, 2010, 08:05
I have stripped the graphics out of my new Classic Traveller(tm) ruleset and created a separate extension with them.

It seems to work largely as intended, but the tabcontrol rendering is a bit mucky. To change that I would need to replace the tabcontrol definition and script, and my tabcontrols are a bit different from the standard ones.

The extension is on the FG Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Traveller_Theme), please let me know what you think.

Stuart

Spyke
January 10th, 2010, 09:46
Excellent, thanks Stuart. I'll take a look.

Spyke

Foen
January 10th, 2010, 17:28
Happy to work with you, Spyke, if you wanted to create a tailored version for GURPS.

Stuart

Spyke
January 10th, 2010, 18:08
Thanks Stuart. The good news is that it's very useable as it is. As you say above, the main issue is that the tab controls are rendered slightly differently, so in the GURPS ruleset the labels are offset a little from where they should be and on some controls we get a little extra bit of tab. But the functionality isn't affected and 95% of the look and feel is there. Looks really good.

Other than that there are perhaps half a dozen icons or frames that are picking up the default ones as they're not needed in the Traveller ruleset version (e.g. the Hex grid icon and the Options button). When I get some free time I'll check thoroughly and if you're happy I'll send you a list of what's missing. There aren't many and they'll help with rulesets other than GURPS as well.

Spyke

Foen
January 10th, 2010, 23:12
I have tinkered with the theme a little and addressed (hopefully) the worst issues. The changes are:

The indexboxtitle frame now renders reasonably
The close box hover/down icons are emulated
The referencebox frame used for library, preferences and export windows is emulated
The tabcontrol now works (to a reasonable extent)

Overall, it looks a bit more polished than the previous version.

Stuart

Foen
January 11th, 2010, 07:32
I've added a gridhex icon and emulated the preferences buttons, so this should now work better with GURPS. The only thing outstanding (that I can see) is the character selection box. That is a custom frame I didn't use in Classic Traveller, but I'll see what I can do.

Stuart

Spyke
January 11th, 2010, 18:53
I've added a gridhex icon and emulated the preferences buttons, so this should now work better with GURPS. The only thing outstanding (that I can see) is the character selection box. That is a custom frame I didn't use in Classic Traveller, but I'll see what I can do.

Stuart

It's looking really good. Yes, you've fixed the tab rendering and I can't see any missing icons now. The only thing I've spotted apart from the standard fantasy character selection background is the panel used in the preferences window.

In Foundation and GURPS the preferences framedefs 'cheat' by assigning the combat entry graphics, and the framedefs for prefentrybox and prefgroupbox are missing from your new graphics_frames.xml file:

<framedef name="prefentrybox">
<bitmap file="frames/ctentrybox.png" />
<topleft rect="22,0,6,3" />
<top rect="28,0,512,3" />
<topright rect="540,0,5,3" />
<left rect="22,3,6,128" />
<middle rect="28,3,512,128" />
<right rect="540,3,5,128" />
<bottomleft rect="22,131,6,4" />
<bottom rect="28,131,512,4" />
<bottomright rect="540,131,5,4" />
</framedef>

<framedef name="prefgroupbox">
<bitmap file="frames/ctgroupbox.png" />
<topleft rect="30,0,10,40" />
<top rect="40,0,473,40" />
<topright rect="513,0,42,40" />
<left rect="30,40,10,97" />
<middle rect="40,40,473,97" />
<right rect="513,40,42,97" />
</framedef>

Spyke

EDIT: Anyone know why I can't get the text in CODE tags to appear?

Foen
January 11th, 2010, 19:00
Should be easy to fix, and luckily I have the email notification of the thread response (which includes the text contents of the code tags).

Will try to post revised version later tonight.

Stuart

Spyke
January 11th, 2010, 19:06
Thanks Stuart.

I'd started working on a Traveller theme a year or so ago, along the same lines as yours with a silver-grey background and then highlight colour in black and red, but I'd not got beyond the basics. Yours is great and I can now happily cross this off my mental "To Do" list and move on to thinking about the actual campaign I want to run!

Many thanks again for putting in the time and effort.

Spyke

Foen
January 11th, 2010, 21:42
I've added the dummy framedef for prefentrybox based on ctentrybox, but there is no ctgroupbox in my ruleset so I haven't changed the prefgroupbox. That said, the Foundation version seems to work fine, so I don't think it needs to be different.

I took a look at replacing the character selection frame, but it will take some time to do this properly, and I ran out of steam this evening.

I've posted what I have on the FG Wiki, and I think the character selection frame is the only remaining piece of artwork.

Many thanks again for putting in the time and effort.

No problem, it wasn't difficult to port it from the Classic Traveller ruleset, and it seems like good sense to re-use what I'd already built.

Stuart

Spyke
January 11th, 2010, 22:48
Yes, that's fixed the preferences panels. Excellent. Many thanks.

I've added a link to the wiki page for the Traveller skin from the GURPS resources page (https://www.spyke.me) on my website as well, with a little thumbnail.

All's set now for some GURPS 4e Traveller, including Interstellar Wars (https://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-2401).

Spyke

Vudo
February 15th, 2010, 13:04
Any chance we can see this excellent theme for the Savage Worlds ruleset?

Doswelk
February 15th, 2010, 19:59
I'll give it a go if Foen does not mind....

Foen
February 16th, 2010, 05:57
No problem, be my guest :)

Doswelk
February 21st, 2010, 18:33
Just starting...

Hope to have v.01 out soon (for people to find fault with please) ;)

Doswelk
February 21st, 2010, 19:05
Right here (https://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.doswell2/SWTraveller.zip) is version 0.1.

Things I know are "wrong" the tools icon, the tool frame box, the character box, Combat title icon, Vehicles title icon, .

These are all borrowed from my SW Modern Skin and here for "filler".

Also missing is Notes title icon.

Also at this time I have left the "standard" FGII icons on the desktop, I quite like them like that but understand people may want a full conversion, I'll add them soon and see what I think (also some would still be missing!)

Vudo
February 22nd, 2010, 01:22
Hey Doswelk,

nice! Thanks a lot for that work in progress theme, I already like it. Is there any chance I can download your SW Modern Skin somewhere? It seems to look pretty cool as well!

demonsbane
March 3rd, 2011, 13:22
(...) The extension is on the FG Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Traveller_Theme), please let me know what you think.

Right now, I have very little to say! This is because the ext seems to be unavailable for download. Is this an unexpected error, or there was some reason for removing the Traveller theme? I would like to check it out.

Oberoten
March 3rd, 2011, 20:23
Frankly I have no idea... Will take a look when I get back home.

- Obe

StuartW
March 4th, 2011, 06:29
I have resurrected the page and re-uploaded the extension.

Stuart

demonsbane
March 4th, 2011, 09:05
I have resurrected the page and re-uploaded the extension.

I wonder why it was unavailable, but thank you for uploading it again.

It's a very nice and well designed skin!

StuartW
March 4th, 2011, 10:13
Thank you! It was produced with a potential professional Classic Traveller product in mind, but I was unable to secure permission to distribute it. The Classic Traveller ruleset was therefore released in the public domain, but without any reference modules.

Stuart

Oberoten
March 4th, 2011, 17:47
I am frankly stumped as to why it'd not be there. Only thing I can think of is that it too was lost back in the crash but nobody noticed until now.

- Obe

demonsbane
March 14th, 2011, 05:57
Thank you! It was produced with a potential professional Classic Traveller product in mind, but I was unable to secure permission to distribute it. The Classic Traveller ruleset was therefore released in the public domain, but without any reference modules.

Very nice skin, really. Thanks for sharing it.

Dayson
February 25th, 2012, 19:04
I ran a campaign with the Classic Traveller skin to great success. I have always loved the game and I am hoping for a Savage Worlds conversion, which I understand is on someones back burner. Practically speaking, a Mongoose ruleset might entice some more players as the rule books are still available in stores. Whichever version gets finalized, Long Live Traveller!

Archlyte
April 26th, 2013, 11:21
Trying to alter the character selection box in the classic traveller ruleset, specifically I want to change the font and maybe add some other text fields.

Problem is I can't find the xml file(s) to deal with the character selection window.
Anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit: NM got it