PDA

View Full Version : Classic Traveller Ruleset

Foen
January 9th, 2010, 21:25
The first draft ruleset (v0.4) is now available on the FG Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Classic_Traveller). This is a relatively full-featured ruleset, but it should be noted:

This ruleset hasn't been tested in a live environment. Please let me know of any problems found.
There are no Traveller reference modules included, these are copyright materials of Far Future Enterprises and I do not have their permission to redistribute them.
I'd like to add sheets for starships, sectors and systems - these will follow either in a future version or as extensions to this version.

Cheers

Foen

yondar
January 10th, 2010, 14:48
If you add a modifier to the dice roll you get the following message:-

Script Error: [String "scripts/chat_chat.lua"]:20: attempt to compare number with nil

Foen
January 10th, 2010, 17:24
Doh! *slaps forehead* That was a dumb typo.

I'll include a fix in the next version, which should go up in the next 24 hours, but if you want to amend the file yourself, replace 'num = ' with 'sum = ' on line 18 of scripts\chat_chat.lua.

Thanks for the spot and apologies that such an obvious one slipped through.

Foen

Foen
January 11th, 2010, 23:00
OK, I have uploaded v0.5 to the Wiki which fixes the issue reported above. I am currently working on a starships extension, and attach a screenshot below. It adds an icon to the right-hand icon bar, which you can see towards the bottom, includes a new list window for starships, a windowclass for each and a minimised icon (also shown).

I'll post it on the Wiki when it is a bit more complete.

Foen

Jarec
January 21st, 2010, 16:31
Starship extension looks good.

I'm currently looking to use it for running Mongoose Traveller as it's close enough to classic Traveller. One thing that would be useful though is the characteristic mods

Two seeming bugs I've found:

1) The char column for weapons doesn't seem to do anything
2) If you try dragging a characters portrait from the top left docked possition you get a drag error

Foen
January 21st, 2010, 18:36
The starship extension is now built into the ruleset, and is integrated with the equipment/items list. If you right-click on the equipment list you get to choose between creating a new starship or creating a new item. Likewise there are two 'new equipment' icons on the left of the equipment list, one for items and one for starships.

This means I don't have to take up so much screen space down the right hand side of the desktop (whcih was becoming a bit crowded).

In respect of the bugs:

1) The char column displays the attack DM if the relevant characteristic (Strength or Dexterity) doesn't meet the 'required' level, or exceeds the 'advantageous' level. For example, a Body Pistol requires a Dexterity of 8 otherwise there is an attack DM of -3, and for Dexterity of 11 or above there is an attack DM of +1. The DM (which is often zero) is shown in the 'char' field and is calculated automatically.

2) I can confirm this is a bug, and has been fixed in my development version. The fix will be incorporated when I next post a copy to the Wiki (hopefully this weekend).

Please continue to post any problems found!

Cheers

Foen

Foen
January 22nd, 2010, 20:40
I've uploaded v0.6 to the Wiki, including a fix for the bug reported by Jarec, and support for starships (as a type of equipment item).

Foen

yondar
January 22nd, 2010, 23:16
the file "adventure_equipment.xml" seems to be missing.

Foen
January 23rd, 2010, 05:58
the file "adventure_equipment.xml" seems to be missing.

Oops! Fixed (current version is now 0.6.131).

Foen

RobP
January 25th, 2010, 18:49
Over the weekend I have been busy creating a module of the 'Shadows' adventure (around 99% complete now - should be finished today). In terms of ruleset feedback:
1. So far so good - I have had a very smooth ride so far!

2. I would recomend that the computer programs for the starship have checkboxes by them if possible to allow one to show which programs are in memory.

3. The ruleset could use a Animal Encounters table mechanism. My current solution is to create one encounter per line on the table within the encounters section and label them with the dice number.

4. Don't know if this is possible :), but I think a way to define weapons as equipment would be cool. At the moment they are created on a per character basis, which whilst very workable can lead to a lot of work having to re-enter weapon data.

5. This one is more FGII centric. Most RPG's have a central need to track 'character time' - normally through some sort of game calendar. This is especially important in traveller as things like High Guard tickets and pensions get issued at particular time intervals. A calendar could form part of the campaign tools and could have controls to increment time by various intervals. These increments could then also be applied to character ages. Plus a campaign calendar can add a lot of colour. It would also help with the Shadows adventure as time and time tracking is a fundamental part of it.

The above are just minor quibbles - the ruleset as a whole works very well indeed.

Once I have completed Shadows (sometime tonight) I will run it through solo to see how it all fits together.

Thanks to Foen and Co for putting this one together! (Only need one more RPG to be done - Runequest 2nd Ed - then my two all time favourites will be playable over the internet! :)) )

RobP

Foen
January 25th, 2010, 21:06
Over the weekend I have been busy creating a module of the 'Shadows' adventure (around 99% complete now - should be finished today).

I'm delighted the ruleset is useful for you :D

I would recomend that the computer programs for the starship have checkboxes by them if possible to allow one to show which programs are in memory.

Ahh, the programs list is just free-format text, so checkboxes won't work. The list could be turned into a more formal thing, with checkboxes etc, but that is on my 'to do' list.

The ruleset could use a Animal Encounters table mechanism. My current solution is to create one encounter per line on the table within the encounters section and label them with the dice number.

'Encounters' in FG mean something different to Traveller. I'd love to add Traveller encounter tables to FG and think that the right way to do this would be through an extension (like character generation, starship design and world generation). I'm not planning, therefore, to add it to the underlying ruleset. :( Sorry.

Don't know if this is possible :), but I think a way to define weapons as equipment would be cool. At the moment they are created on a per character basis, which whilst very workable can lead to a lot of work having to re-enter weapon data.

There are a couple of things to note here:

The Referee can drag weapons from one character sheet to another, if he/she drags the grey 'Info' box.
The ruleset includes built-in support for weapon lists, allowing both Referees and players to drag entries to a character sheet, but the weapon lists are FFE property and I'm reluctant to publish them without Marc's permission. I'll let folks know if/when I get that permission.

This one is more FGII centric. Most RPG's have a central need to track 'character time' - normally through some sort of game calendar. This is especially important in traveller as things like High Guard tickets and pensions get issued at particular time intervals. A calendar could form part of the campaign tools and could have controls to increment time by various intervals. These increments could then also be applied to character ages. Plus a campaign calendar can add a lot of colour. It would also help with the Shadows adventure as time and time tracking is a fundamental part of it.

There is nothing in the CT ruleset for this, but I think someone has produced a separate extension for FG campaigns to support calendars etc. The forum thread is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9942).

Thanks to Foen and Co for putting this one together! (Only need one more RPG to be done - Runequest 2nd Ed - then my two all time favourites will be playable over the internet! :)) )

Hehe, no problem! BTW, there is a (commercial) Chaosium BRP ruleset in the works which should support RQ - watch this space!

Foen

Foen
January 29th, 2010, 06:37
Thanks to RobP for spotting a glitch with the equipment list: it was failing to export when creating modules using the /export command. This has now been fixed in version 0.7.132 which has been uploaded to the FG Wiki.

Foen

realistik
April 5th, 2010, 19:53
Foen: First of all, thanks for all your hard and excellent work!

My question is how much work would you estimate it'd take to convert this ruleset to the Mongoose rules? Note that I'm not asking or suggesting that you do any of this work, just curious because my friend and I are about to start playing Mongoose Traveller and it seems like it would be easier to convert your CT ruleset than to start a Mongoose one from scratch.

Foen
April 11th, 2010, 06:38
I don't have the MgT version of the rules, so I don't know how different they are. Valerian was working on an MgT ruleset (although I think that project is on hold for the time being) and I think there is already an MgT extension somewhere.

I'm not planning on doing any more rulesets at the moment, BRP was a significant effort and kind of took it out of me, but feel free to take what I've done and modify it.

Foen

Valarian
April 11th, 2010, 19:13
Valerian was working on an MgT ruleset (although I think that project is on hold for the time being)
Aye, I unfortunately had to pull out due to work pressures. These are likely to last through this year at least. Real-life gets in the way, a lot. The extension is on the Wiki and is a basic character sheet only. It runs on top of the Foundation ruleset.

VenomousFiligree
May 7th, 2011, 16:32
Stuart, what Library style sheets are available to be used in this ruleset?

Thanks

Phil

StuartW
May 7th, 2011, 18:03
Hi Phil

The following Library styles are supported:

referencetext
referencetextwide
reference_equipmentitem
reference_equipmentlist
reference_modifier
reference_modifiercontent
reference_modifierlist
referenceindex
referenceindexitem
referenceindexcontent
referencetable
referenceinlineindex
referenceinlineindexitem

Please note that referencetable is a non-standard class that allows more direct control over the size, placement and resizeability of the Library content window. Check out referencetable.lua for further info.

Cheers

Stuart

VenomousFiligree
May 7th, 2011, 18:13
Thanks Stuart, are you still supporting this one? Found a few issues, can post if you wish?

StuartW
May 7th, 2011, 18:26
Happy to hear the problems, just can't promise to fix them quickly ;)

VenomousFiligree
May 7th, 2011, 18:39
Great Stuff :)

Is this bug fix (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12794) still needed?

StuartW
May 7th, 2011, 22:53
Not any more (revision posted to the FG Wiki today).

VenomousFiligree
May 8th, 2011, 11:18

Personality Issue:
When adding a skill on a New Personalty, the text in the skills area of the Personality sheet copies over to the Personality List.
The first skill gives auto complete options, subsequent ones do not.
When finished editing, the first skill gives a mouse over select to add to the modifier box, subsequent ones do not.

Dayson
May 12th, 2011, 00:54
I just downloaded the Classic Traveller rules set. Awesome job. But, the modifier box and the dice are covering the chat input box.

StuartW
May 12th, 2011, 07:34
That sounds like you are running FG with a vertical screen resolution less than 768. This isn't an issue just with Classic Traveller: FG doesn't resize the chat box, so it cannot easily be run below that resolution.

The issue is illustrated in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12241), which is with the original FG ruleset rather than a custom one.

Stuart

StuartW
May 12th, 2011, 08:47
When adding a skill on a New Personalty, the text in the skills area of the Personality sheet copies over to the Personality List.
The first skill gives auto complete options, subsequent ones do not.
When finished editing, the first skill gives a mouse over select to add to the modifier box, subsequent ones do not.

I'm not sure I fully understand: the attached screenshot shows multiple skills on a personality and I was able to drag the second on the list to the modifier box. Are you separating skills with commas?

Stuart

VenomousFiligree
May 12th, 2011, 09:32
I had the comma, but not the "-" between name and value. Will try again tonight. The subsequent names were not auto prompting though.

Are the skills meant to show in the NPC list, because if so it doesn't look to bad:)

StuartW
May 12th, 2011, 10:37
I had the subsequent skill names auto-prompting without any trouble. Have you edited the skill list by any chance (in scripts/global.lua)? I think they need to be in alphabetical order, so if you have added any skills to the list you need to check if that's having an impact on the auto-prompt feature.

The skills are meant to show in the NPC list (along with the UPP hex digits) because this mirrors the CT standard way of listing personalities :D

Stuart

StuartW
May 12th, 2011, 10:41
PS. As the attached screenshot shows, you shouldn't need the '-' between skill names and ranks.

Stuart

VenomousFiligree
May 12th, 2011, 11:37
OK, I will have another look tonight.

Dayson
May 12th, 2011, 22:55
I just downloaded the Classic Traveller rules set. Awesome job. But, the modifier box and the dice are covering the chat input box.
O.K. all I had to do was autohide the taskbar.

VenomousFiligree
May 12th, 2011, 23:03
I had the subsequent skill names auto-prompting without any trouble. Have you edited the skill list by any chance (in scripts/global.lua)? I think they need to be in alphabetical order, so if you have added any skills to the list you need to check if that's having an impact on the auto-prompt feature.

The skills are meant to show in the NPC list (along with the UPP hex digits) because this mirrors the CT standard way of listing personalities :D

Stuart
Funny, works fine now :)

Dayson
June 8th, 2011, 03:00
The first draft ruleset (v0.4) is now available on the FG Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Classic_Traveller). This is a relatively full-featured ruleset, but it should be noted:

This ruleset hasn't been tested in a live environment. Please let me know of any problems found.
There are no Traveller reference modules included, these are copyright materials of Far Future Enterprises and I do not have their permission to redistribute them.
I'd like to add sheets for starships, sectors and systems - these will follow either in a future version or as extensions to this version.Cheers

Foen
I am planning to run a game, Beowulf Down. These updates sound perfect.