PDA

View Full Version : Maybe in FG3 they'll move to OpenGL

EndingPop
January 8th, 2010, 22:21
I happened to see this article on Slashdot, called Why you should use OpenGL and not DirectX (https://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX). Perhaps in Fantasy Grounds 3 SmiteWorks should move to OpenGL. In that case they could handle multiplatform support much easier. While I applaud their efforts to make FG more usable in Linux and Mac under Wine, a native version would be better.

Here's hopin'!

drahkar
January 8th, 2010, 23:19
Honestly I don't see that happening any time soon. Mainly because it would require a major redesign of the software and a major commitment of time that would be taken away from the development of the software itself. Seeing as it does actually run on those other platforms, though not natively, I don't know if its likely to come to pass.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to be able to switch over to Linux 100%. But I already am stuck with windows cause of Adobe products and games. :)

unerwünscht
January 8th, 2010, 23:44
There are other more valid reasons to switch to OpenGL instead of DirectX. The biggest reason being that OpenGL is much more stable on newer systems. The next reason being that if you overclock and ATI or NVidea video card DirectX has a nasty tendency to crash the entire system and greatly increase your chances of data loss.

There are also issues with DirectX and remote access to a system. Most remote access applications won't pass DirectX video.