PDA

View Full Version : Licensing Questions...

Cupcakus
January 4th, 2010, 22:26
Hi all, i've been looking for a VTT for a week or so that myself and my group can use to play online. We've been trying to continue to play real table top but it's difficult for us all to meet up regularly. I really really like the features of this one. I have some questions about licensing.

There are about 10 players in our group, 2 DM's and 8 players, We usually play shorter 4e adventures and the DM's trade off so they can be players too. We never have more than 6 players and 1 DM, so I want to purchase 1 Full and 6 Lite licenses... will this work?

If I understand correctly, licenses can be shared, but two of the same license cannot connect to the same game. If this is correct, then that is exactly what I need. The full license can be shared amongst the 2 DM's and the Lite licenses to the players for the current adventure.

Is it possible to change your license once you put it in? So when the DM's trade roles, they can change to a lite license and a full license respectively?

Andugus
January 4th, 2010, 23:28
I don't think the full license may be shared in the way you are describing. Licensing is private to an individual. I do see a couple of ways you could go about getting licenses.

The newest way would be for both GM's to buy the Ultimate license and have players log in without having to buy a license. They are expensive but utilize unlimited seating. Total cost would be $299.90 for the 2 licenses. There is no bundle discount and this method of licensing is possibly limited time only.

If you buy 2 full licenses and 8 lite licenses you could achieve the same thing but any future licenses would have to be purchased by new players after you have used your ten licenses. Total cost would be $161.32 after bundle discount if bought all at once.

ddavison
January 5th, 2010, 00:00
Yes, Andugus is correct. The licenses are tied to a specific individual. The one exception is that a person can buy a lite license for another player, at which point it becomes their property in a sense. That player can then upgrade their Lite license to a full license. If that player leaves your group, they take the license with them. We don't currently support any other models with shared DM responsibilities, so the two options Andugus listed are your best options.

CampbellR66
January 5th, 2010, 13:50
Worth noting that if some of the players are behind the same NAT firewall the licence validation does not seem to work and duplicates seem to be allowed.

Please note we do have on licence per individual but they swap and move machines leaving a trail behind them.