PDA

View Full Version : Playing with FGII in the Real World (And without Internet?)

Porpoise
January 3rd, 2010, 08:10
I'm going back and forth about buying either a Full or Ultimate license for FGII... so I figure I'd come to you nice folks to answer some of my questions, and help me out.

My main purpose for purchasing this VTT is to supplement a real word tabletop. My group is large, unruly and with some unfortunate limitations on internet access. The main question is whether or not FGII can be run over an ad hoc wireless network rather than through the internet since the only room large enough for us has no internet access, and our campus wi-fi doesn't allow non-browsers to access the internet anyway.

The supplementary (but still important) question is how effective an aid FGII will actually be. Essentially, we need a program that can maintain a map for all of us with counters -- I don't think the group would be immediately amenable to dropping real world dice altogether (though I'd be glad to get rid of my ink costs by going full digital!). What's your experience, if any, been in using FGII for real world endeavors? However, if that should be the case, what has been your general experience in running 4e D&D with FGII?

The idea of DMing online games is also very appealing, but my immediate concern is my real world group. The pricetag is unfortunate, but... I'm leaning toward purchase. Help me out, guys.

Doswelk
January 3rd, 2010, 09:07
These days (due to the international locations of my group) we only play over the internet...

That said I have run sessions with people in the same room as me as well as other over the web.

One of the most used features by my players these days is the ability to whisper (pass notes) to each other electronically, this I would see as a "killer" app even in a face-to-face session, as the whispers go to the GM as well!

The decision on whether to go Full or Ultimate really depends on the group:

If they are prepared to buy the Lite version you can save money, also if your group rotates GMs at any time they would need to buy a Full version themselves.

I am sure more learned people (with more experience of running face-to-face FGII sessions and who do play 4E D&D!) will be able to provide you with better info but to my mind it should work.

Foen
January 3rd, 2010, 10:52
Welcome to our community, I hope you find us friendly and helpful!

There have been a couple of threads on this in the past, you might like to check out:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3905

and

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4093

Foen

tdewitt274
January 3rd, 2010, 15:45
My group is planning to use FG to supplement a map. The "problem" that I see with it is that you really need 2 PCs. While it can be done with one, you'll have to share a mouse & keyboard with the DM, which could be a pain, or have the DM run it all (which could be straining for some).

With two PCs, your're running off an internet connection. The question would be if you are able to free up the port (1802?). I don't know much about networking, but one would think that you could do a small network...

As noted, the Ultimate would be good for multiple people bringing their own computers and connecting. If you're going to do as I suggest above, the Full (only if 1 PC is used) with a Lite (if two or more are used) would work fine. If you're planning on running online, the Ultimate would be the "cheapest" if there are over 5 connections.

Porpoise
January 3rd, 2010, 20:32
Thank you all for your responses. They've been helpful.

Please let me clarify, though. I want to know if I can run Fantasy Grounds II without access to the internet with other PC's, via an ad-hoc wireless network. Although those projector set-ups are sweet, they are outside our price range, and we can't have access to the internet due to limitations on wi-fi (and there is only one wired connection available at a time). Is this technically feasible?

Basically, what I would like is each of my eight member group (including myself) to have their laptops and able to use FGII via an ad-hoc network.

And while it may be bad etiquette, I was wondering if anybody could compare their experiences with maptool vs. FGII, if anybody has the experience to compare.

Sorontar
January 3rd, 2010, 20:43
You can connect using internal network addresses and miss out the internet if you want.

Porpoise
January 3rd, 2010, 20:53
So it is doable, great! Is it particularly difficult to set up?

Sorontar
January 3rd, 2010, 21:48
So it is doable, great! Is it particularly difficult to set up?

Not overly no, the only issue I had was I forgot to assign my PCs static internal addresses ( a bit of a DOH moment) so as they were switched on they were assigned different ones. So the internal address that I used the week previous was wrong for the players to connect to.

Once that was sorted I had no problems.

Porpoise
January 3rd, 2010, 23:09
Having talked it over with the most important member of my group (the girlfriend), I think we're going to take the plunge... I'm sure I'll be around to ask questions!

drahkar
January 4th, 2010, 01:01
We'll be glad to see them. Always good to see people joining in the community.

Porpoise
January 4th, 2010, 21:15
Here's my first question: Is it possible to share sheets with only one player? Such as for a handout that only one player should initially see?

VenomousFiligree
January 4th, 2010, 21:19
Here's my first question: Is it possible to share sheets with only one player? Such as for a handout that only one player should initially see?
Yes, drag the "link pin" to the characters portrait and release.

Porpoise
January 4th, 2010, 21:24
D'oh, thank you.

Doswelk
January 5th, 2010, 19:36

A related issue (and it may only work with the Savage Worlds ruleset, but I do not see why), is that you can drag the <frame> (story text) and drop it on a PC portrait so only they get the info!

Very useful onw the party thief goes off on his own...

Porpoise
January 5th, 2010, 19:40
I hope so! Sending notes like that is important. But if not, I could set it up as a chatbox and whisper it to them without too much hassle... Dragging the links is handy, though!

ionofrao
January 7th, 2010, 02:06
Assuming your router has a built in DHCP server to dish out private ip address's it should be dirt simple, you setup the router everyone connects to the same private network, then on the pc the gm is running FG on just go to the search line under the start button and type in

cmd then press enter, a black window will open

type in

ipconfig then press enter

some info will come up write down your ipv4 address (it will be somthing like 192.168.1.64)

type in

exit then press enter (this will close the black window)

when the other people launch fantasy grounds they simply say join game and type that number in as the address

its that simple