PDA

View Full Version : New to D&D 4E and looking for a game?

Answulf
December 29th, 2009, 23:56
Edit: I'm no longer running what I originally discussed, but I'm still running occasional pick-up games. If you are interested and want to be put on my player contact list, send me a PM (don't reply to this thread).

Domingo
December 30th, 2009, 23:33
I am an old hand at 3.5E, but 4E can't be that different...or can it? I am totally new to FG, but I am really interested in giving it a go. I want to try it out, get used to it, and see if I want to try to get my friends involved across the globe. Since I am in Afghanistan for the next month or so, my schedule can be hectic for weekly games, but a pick-up game with pre-gen's would be perfect for me. Let me know if you have a spot for me. Right now, I am just fiddling around with the demo and contemplating the purchase. Would I need to download a full or lite license to play?

tdewitt274
December 31st, 2009, 02:38
Depending on the day and time, I may be interested.

GMT -6 hours.

prale
January 1st, 2010, 21:46
I am interested !! I am in the central Time zone. I am available any time through the week, solo is fine.

Domingo
January 1st, 2010, 21:49
I went ahead and took the plunge for the full license, so I am ready whenever.

I am GMT +4:30 (Kabul time)
For the next 3 weeks I can be available at almost any time with a 48-hour notice.

drahkar
January 1st, 2010, 23:09
I'm interested. While I'm semi-experienced with 4E, I want to get more familier with the FGII interface and this is a good way to do it. This is especially true of the current combat tracker interface. There is only so much you can do fiddling with it. Eventually you need to see it working.

Let me know what times people are looking at. That would be great!

Timezone: Central
Evenings: 6pm through 10pm
Weekends are best though weekdays are negotiable.

tdewitt274
January 2nd, 2010, 03:02
I'm pretty much available 7 PM - 12 AM CST (GMT -6 Hours) M-Th.

Friday on alternate weeks I have an offline game. Saturday is pretty wide open on alternating weeks (not the same week as Friday game). Due to the holidays, our schedule is kinda off.

Sunday is pretty wide open with at least 1 week notice.

Answulf
January 2nd, 2010, 03:52
Great to see so much interest!

For ease and scheduling purposes, I've decided to do a few solo adventures first and have one almost finished.

If you didn't already, edit your post with your Time Zone, days and times available. If you're not interested in a solo adventure, no worries - just let me know. I'll still be doing group adventures as well, but the solos will come first.

Domingo
January 2nd, 2010, 16:23
I got a copy of the 4e Player's Handbook...disregard my earlier comment about not being that different from 3.5e. I'll get the hang of it though.

tdewitt274
January 2nd, 2010, 19:46
I got a copy of the 4e Player's Handbook...disregard my earlier comment about not being that different from 3.5e. I'll get the hang of it though.

Combat is the same mechanic, just think of powers as bigger versions of 3.5 Feats. If you don't know what to do, just do a basic melee attack. ;)

Domingo
January 2nd, 2010, 21:26
It seems easy enough to understand. I my opinion it is as if by adding 'at-will, encounter, and daily' powers they have flattened everything out in a way. Now the 1st lvl wizard never runs out of things to do when he burns his 2 or 3 spells in the first hour of the day like in 3.5. Streamining the skills to encompass broader categories seems smart. And using the 10+1/2 level as the base statistic for everything makes sense (especially AC). It always annoying that at high levels in 3.5 you had to be fully kitted with a lot of deflection to survive. No matter what you were going to take some massive damage. With the combat seeming pretty brutal (max damage on a crit, some powers with 3d10 damage at level 1, etc.) the new hp calculations are good, too. All in all, I can get used to it.

Nate
January 3rd, 2010, 02:55
Im also interested, I played some 3.5 but am new to FG and 4.0

tdewitt274
January 3rd, 2010, 15:36
It seems easy enough to understand. I my opinion it is as if by adding 'at-will, encounter, and daily' powers they have flattened everything out in a way. Now the 1st lvl wizard never runs out of things to do when he burns his 2 or 3 spells in the first hour of the day like in 3.5.

Actually, they don't lose the At Wills at all (with some limits, but can be used 50+ times in a combat), the Encounter are regained after a short rest (5 minutes). However, your Daily are gone until a long rest (8 hours). So, if you hold onto your Daily until you REALLY need them and do short rests along the way, you're good until low on Healing Surges.

The complaint that we have in our group is too many choices, ie "Everyone has their own spellbook". I, however, like the additions because it gives more flavor to combat. Instead of "I attack", it's "I use my piercing strike attack".

I have played 4e, but haven't on Fantasy Grounds.

Hye Jedi
January 3rd, 2010, 16:17
My general availability is 7 PM - 12 AM PST (GMT -8 Hours) Mon-Sun. I'd be interested in anything that allows me to get some playtime as I'm new to FG and just purchased a Full License.

Domingo
January 4th, 2010, 00:30
Actually, they don't lose the At Wills at all (with some limits, but can be used 50+ times in a combat), the Encounter are regained after a short rest (5 minutes). However, your Daily are gone until a long rest (8 hours).

That was the point I was trying to make in regard to 3.5. A 1st level wizard that uses his 2 or 3 spells (in 3.5) is done until he rests again for 8 hours. Have fun with that dagger and sling until tomorrow.

drahkar
January 4th, 2010, 01:08
I have to admit that I like a lot of the changes they made with 4E. As a system I love D20 for everything except magic. I think the power cards were a nice addition. They give a much more active and flavorful feel to combat.

Adding in the new structure to things also gives everyone a part to play in battle. That was another nice addition. Unless something isn't trying, with 4E you vary rarely see a situation were someone is just stuck sitting out in combat.

Answulf
January 5th, 2010, 19:33
I've got some stuff ready to go now; sending PMs...

prale
January 5th, 2010, 21:59
cool, I can play most anytime. Do I need to make a character?

tdewitt274
January 6th, 2010, 03:14
Just out of curiosity, are we using only FG, or will there be voice? I'm fine either way.

Answulf
January 6th, 2010, 08:29
Oh, good point - make sure you have Skype. If you don't have a microphone, still download it so that you can hear me.

I like to use Skype for OOC table-talk and chat for everything else.

tdewitt274
January 6th, 2010, 15:15
I don't know anything about Skype. Can I get a brief rundown of it? I like to keep this PC as clean as possible (Asus nettop with XP).

Thanks!

drahkar
January 6th, 2010, 16:18
Skype is a very useful IM/Voice chat software. I actually use it as my primary phone at home as well. (You can get added services with a real phone number, etc)

Its a very clean application that I have had never cause issue with anything. And I have it running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Answulf
January 6th, 2010, 16:31
Skype has become the "standard" voice-chat application on the internet - used by everyone for just about everything. Billion-dollar company owned by E-bay and free to use - nothing to worry about. :)

cypherwulfe
January 6th, 2010, 21:48
GMT +2, most evenings from 6pm till midnight my time.

I am interested, dont know 4e, but wouldnt matter, I just love to play.

Johan
January 7th, 2010, 16:35
Anymore room?

CST anytime except Tuesday's and Saturday's.

tdewitt274
January 9th, 2010, 18:50
If you're still interested in more people, I have a friend that is interested. Roughly the same schedule as myself. If you have a Day/Time figured, I'll pass it along.

Hibiki54
January 14th, 2010, 06:42
You guys still looking for players?

I've been playing 4E since it came out and gaming in general for 15 years. I've played online before but Fantasy Grounds is fairly new to me. I'm at GMT -8 Pacific US and I'm avaliable Monday, Wed and Thurs.

Let me know if you need another player. I'll conform to what role the party needs.