PDA

View Full Version : Forum changes

ddavison
December 29th, 2009, 21:44
I have enabled the Reputation system on the forums. The primary impetus is to give credit to all those users who go above and beyond to answer questions for other users on the forums. It felt wrong to leave everyone seeded at the default reputation, so I did a generic default reputation based on the number of posts. I realize this is far from ideal but it is now up to you guys and gals to increase or decrease people's reputation to the appropriate levels. Hopefully, the decreases will be used sparingly and I would hope would not be used for older posts. Feel encouraged to bump the reputation of anyone you feel has significantly aided you or improved your experience here in the past though.

You can adjust another user's reputation by using the scales icon on the upper-right corner of each posting (just below post count.)

VenomousFiligree
December 30th, 2009, 09:30
I have enabled the Reputation system on the forums. The primary impetus is to give credit to all those users who go above and beyond to answer questions for other users on the forums. It felt wrong to leave everyone seeded at the default reputation, so I did a generic default reputation based on the number of posts. I realize this is far from ideal but it is now up to you guys and gals to increase or decrease people's reputation to the appropriate levels. Hopefully, the decreases will be used sparingly and I would hope would not be used for older posts. Feel encouraged to bump the reputation of anyone you feel has significantly aided you or improved your experience here in the past though.

You can adjust another user's reputation by using the scales icon on the upper-right corner of each posting (just below post count.)
I only see the scales on my posts (which gives me a count of my reputation if I click on it), nothing on other peoples posts except the "report bad posts" triangle?

Placebo
December 30th, 2009, 14:53
Yeah it happens the same to me ?? and i can only add or take rep on my own posts ??

Edit: sorry i was wrong...i can only see my points nothing more ;)

ddavison
December 30th, 2009, 15:48
Aha. The default rights for Registered Users did not allow updating the the Reputation even though it was enabled. It should be fixed now.

VenomousFiligree
December 30th, 2009, 16:51
Aha. The default rights for Registered Users did not allow updating the the Reputation even though it was enabled. It should be fixed now.
Yes it is :)

unerwünscht
December 30th, 2009, 18:48
Bah...Doug is only turning on the reputation system so he can show off how popular he is round these parts...LOL

ddavison
December 30th, 2009, 18:53
Bah...Doug is only turning on the reputation system so he can show off how popular he is round these parts...LOL

Well, if I ever become infamous then I know I am doing something wrong.

ddavison
December 30th, 2009, 20:59
I am also thinking about reverting the main forum display back to a more standard one like this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/index.php).

That makes it easier for me to turn on or off features while still allowing the link to the Game Calendar. It may look a little more generic but it seems more functional to me. What do you guys/gals think?

VenomousFiligree
December 30th, 2009, 21:01
I am also thinking about reverting the main forum display back to a more standard one like this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/index.php).

That makes it easier for me to turn on or off features while still allowing the link to the Game Calendar. It may look a little more generic but it seems more functional to me. What do you guys/gals think?
Gets my vote :)

tenkar
December 30th, 2009, 23:41
I second it ;)

Leonal
December 31st, 2009, 00:14
Thirded.

I always view it like that anyway. :)

cpbs
December 31st, 2009, 01:14
Ive always liked the original one better but then again I've always had it that way so change is always taken as different. No matter what you do, if the features are still the same, people will start liking the new change :).

Oberoten
December 31st, 2009, 01:25
To be honest, I love the current layout of the forums, they have charm.

- Obe

zabulus
December 31st, 2009, 13:10
I actually never look at the forums, I just hit the "new posts" button, and mash the "all forums read" button when I'm done :)

ddavison
December 31st, 2009, 16:45
One requested feature was the ability to go in and edit an earlier post no matter how long it has been since you last posted. This should now be allowed.

unerwünscht
December 31st, 2009, 19:52
One requested feature was the ability to go in and edit an earlier post no matter how long it has been since you last posted. This should now be allowed.

You uh... don't want that. Remember me mentioning a previous account that was banned by the original owners? Well long story short, 3 people called me some not so nice names, and I kinda sorta called them names back. Then a Representative of the forum sent them pm's to tell them to edit their posts.

Once they had edited their posts, that same Representative then jumped in the thread and said some very unkind things about me being unwanted around these parts (hence the new name unerwünscht) and officially warned me against calling people names (but not the others since he had them cover their tracks).

The next 20 minutes or so consisted of me "invalidating" all of my posts by changing them to something along the lines of "Since no one on the staff wants me around here any ways this post has been removes" or something like that. Then the original owners decided that would be a good point to delete my account.

NOTE: For the others who were involved, I have long since put this incident behind me. Please do not start this argument again. I am simply bringing it up here so Doug can have an understanding of the abuse that can happen with post editing set to an unlimited time.

Andugus
December 31st, 2009, 20:09
I personally believe post editing to be a positive thing so long as there is automation of notification in the thread that the post has been modified, by whom, and when.

ddavison
December 31st, 2009, 20:42
My understanding is that it will flag the post as edited by the person and at what time. The one exception to this would be for moderators and administrators. I realize there is a potential for abuse but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The reputation system exists to allow people to "complain" about another member in some form at least or to applaud their behavior as well.

If I have a problem with someone's behavior on the site, I will start by contacting them directly and go from there. Hopefully we can all treat each other with respect and there will be no need for any future bans.

The main reason for this is so that people can better organize posts where it would be necessary to go back and edit the first post over and over. This is very commonly seen in forums where collaboration is required. The wishlists are one example. The ruleset status list is another.

tdewitt274
January 1st, 2010, 16:08
I guess if I was a site admin, I'd say no to the editing feature unless you were the thread creator.

This way, the thread creator could make adjustments to threads (update links, add text, etc) as needed.

If you're a contributor to the thread, make a new post.

And also have the "edited: blah..." and maybe the Edited Reason (Herogames.com has this function).

Bidmaron
January 9th, 2010, 21:27
Here are two features I'd like in the forums:
1) Put a link back to the parent of the thread at the bottom of the thread (by Reply maybe?). This would make the forum more mobile-friendly, since scrolling is not so instantaneous on a mobile phone.
2) Warn someone in a very visible way when he has a PM. Right now, it is very discreet, and I've gone weeks not realizing I had a PM waiting. Sending someone an e-mail when he had a PM would even be the best!
3) (I know I said two, but, hey...) When you post to a thread, have a preference to where it automatically subscribes you to that thread so you get an e-mail when someone else posts to the thread. You could put the subscription into a 'Threads with you Posts' category.

Is that asking too much?

ddavison
January 9th, 2010, 23:59
#2 and #3 can be set by editing the options in your profile. Click "Profile" and then "Edit Options" and you should see options for both.

Sigurd
January 10th, 2010, 05:34
Post editing allows for much more usable topics.

One soul takes it upon themselves to start a topic ie. wishlist, faq etc.... They can reserve the first two posts for an index and a current state of things.

I've seen this used very efficiently on other boards. The thread keeps updated links to relevant posts that stay relevant.

The posts are long but usable because you can return to the first page and then open links in other windows etc...

I think this is a good thing.

Sigurd

Bidmaron
January 10th, 2010, 13:23
#2 and #3 can be set by editing the options in your profile. Click "Profile" and then "Edit Options" and you should see options for both.
Wow, guess it's been a while since I looked there. I'll still stand by my #1 request.