PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a curious individual

Schwann
December 29th, 2009, 04:29
Hello there. I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, a friend of mine having introduced me to it a few weeks ago. I must admit, it's an interesting program, however, I'm not quite sure that I'll ever use it. While I do love to play D&D 3.0 & 3.5, I'm much more an Old World of Darkness fan. However, seeing as it's been so long since I've played, and it's a bit past it's prime, I have to ask the question - Are there any people here who play/Host games through FG II? If so, is there a module you'd have to download, and where if the answer's yes?

unerwünscht
December 29th, 2009, 04:51
I would like to start by saying I am a bigger fan of the Old WoD myself.

However, the games we host at GamingArmy are NWoD. A group of players over there are talking a lot about the old stuff right now tho. Feel free to come by and join in the conversations.

drahkar
December 29th, 2009, 19:28
There are a ton of fan created rulesets for the various platforms, and some good Official ones as well. I know that SmiteWorks is working hard at getting more and more companies on with the Official markings so that more official rulesets can be made through the site.

As to playing and hosting, there are a lot of people currently using and hosting games with FGII. Many of those are D&D focused, but that's natural. Its one of the larger groups of players. That being said there are many others working on implementing a lot of other game systems. Other than WoD, are there any other systems your interested in?

Oberoten
December 29th, 2009, 22:34
A good place to start would probably be this one :

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Category:Rulesets

- Obe

Schwann
January 15th, 2010, 11:31
There are a ton of fan created rulesets for the various platforms, and some good Official ones as well. I know that SmiteWorks is working hard at getting more and more companies on with the Official markings so that more official rulesets can be made through the site.

As to playing and hosting, there are a lot of people currently using and hosting games with FGII. Many of those are D&D focused, but that's natural. Its one of the larger groups of players. That being said there are many others working on implementing a lot of other game systems. Other than WoD, are there any other systems your interested in?Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy. There's not much else besides D&D, FR and WoD that I've tried, though I would rather like to try out Star Wars, seeing as I'm a rather large geek when it comes to that universe. However, that's something I see very little of on the gaming list, only 2 games I've seen thus far, not much to choose from if you ask me. If there was a little more variety to the games hosted in that category, I would gladly borrow some books from a friend I have (he's a PnP freak, heh) and make a character sheet. Since it runs on a variation of the D20 system, I think it would be easy to pick up, since I've had experience with D20 system games (D&D Naturally), but also D20 Modern in the past. I guess that adds to the list of games I'd want to be a part of in a virtual tabletop program. :p

Hye Jedi
January 15th, 2010, 16:40
...I would rather like to try out Star Wars, seeing as I'm a rather large geek when it comes to that universe. However, that's something I see very little of on the gaming list, only 2 games I've seen thus far, not much to choose from if you ask me. If there was a little more variety to the games hosted in that category, I would gladly borrow some books from a friend I have (he's a PnP freak, heh) and make a character sheet.As a Star Wars RPG and FG2 owner I am looking to get some games organized and hope to have some running in the next month or so. It appears that there is definitely interest, but finding GMs and matching availability of players appears will take some work. I'm not going to give up though.

Answulf
January 15th, 2010, 17:52
There's not much else besides D&D, FR and WoD that I've tried, though I would rather like to try out Star Wars, seeing as I'm a rather large geek when it comes to that universe. However, that's something I see very little of on the gaming list, only 2 games I've seen thus far, not much to choose from if you ask me.
Just a note: while I would guess that the ratio of games is accurate, the games list on the game calendar only represents a fraction of the total games being played on FGII. I think many, if not most, groups don't use the game calendar.

Your best bet for getting a game is posting in the Guild Hall forum. You can usually post something like "Who wants to play Star Wars" and by the end of thread have enough for a group. If it's a less popular game it takes longer, as Hye Jedi mentioned.

If you are willing to GM you can get just about any game you want, any time you want.