PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - what's it like?

Answulf
December 23rd, 2009, 08:25
I've noticed that there are quite a few WFRP games played in FG, but I've never played and don't know much about the system outside a few reviews.

From what I gather it is rather simple and encourages roleplaying and storytelling, rather than being more combat-oriented like D&D? (Which is the exact opposite of what I would have guessed being a Warhammer title).

Can someone give me a rundown of what it is like within the context of Fantasy Grounds?

grimm182
December 23rd, 2009, 13:50
Well this is my take, others will have a different view:

While Warhammer combat may be simpler than others, it can be quite deadly. Where this game shines is the world, history and its background. The players are less heroic than most games, and most times the world and people within it are in a dark/dismal place.

A lot of gamers like the fact that PCs are career based vs. class based, even a class based character like a Rat Catcher can be a lot more interesting than a "thief".

There is also a noticeable difference between the versions, now on V3, and you will find people within the Warhammer community that hate the other versions....course this is also with other games too.

The Ruleset by Nezzir does an excellent job allowing you to run the V2 and V1
rulesets, and I think Oberton is working on an updated version of V1 (I think).

Of all the RPGs i have played since the early 80s, this is by far the one I always return too.

Oberoten
December 23rd, 2009, 19:54
Oberoten really. But admittedly the work has stalled with me using FG a lot less. (The Girlfriend living at my place now has made it a bit less interesting and also a lot less time working on it. )

- Oberoten

grimm182
December 23rd, 2009, 20:01
Ah, sorry about that! I always forget to never rely on my memory! :)

nezzir
December 24th, 2009, 08:25
The new Warhammer is a lot of fun. My group loves it. We're starting a new campaign using this system.

I've been working on a maptools version of the v3 ruleset. I would rather do a FGII ruleset, but it just doesn't support the dice. I've stalled on the Maptools code for the moment, it's a bit more ... in depth than the FGII code, but I'll work through it eventually I suppose.

I attached some pictures of what I have so far:

Rook
December 24th, 2009, 14:40
Impressive. I see you're leading the way as usual.

I'll start looking into RPTools.

zWolf
December 27th, 2009, 21:35
I really like my F2F WHFRPG games, they are probably my favorite... the PC's need to be prepared to die quick and harshly if they don't play smart... well even if they do heh, the world is deadly and dark, but this allows for some great RP moments, and makes playing more interesting than in other games, where when you see a baddy you just start rollin initiative... in WHFRPG (v.2) you really want to look at your options before you start swinging your swords about ya know.

Warhammer FAntasy(v.2), Dark HEresy and Rogue Trader, are hands down my favorite systems.

drahkar
December 31st, 2009, 15:50
I've been working on a maptools version of the v3 ruleset. I would rather do a FGII ruleset, but it just doesn't support the dice.

That is actually not quite accurate. FGII can support all sorts of dice. You just have to code them up. Its one of the true powers of the platform. Judging by those images, I would say it uses a combination of d10, d6 and d4. It would be one thing if they were using custom shaped dice, but since its just using custom images, that makes the whole process much, much easier. I even believe there are posts in 'The Workshop' that go over the specific task of creating and using custom labeled dice.

grimm182
December 31st, 2009, 16:11
Cool, now i got to go an mod my d10 to have a "Curse of Tzneetch" for my 1 and "Ulric's Fury" for my 10/0!! Little things like this both help players to remeber and keep track of.

drahkar
December 31st, 2009, 16:14
Here's the thread. They were discussing the custom dice used by Fudge.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5828&page=2

I believe Valarian's even had some examples attached to it. It would obviously take a little work, but it -is- possible. If someone could give me a picture example of the dice in question I'd be more than happy to work on building out a code set that can be incorporated as either an extension or into a ruleset itself for these dice. (The pictures above don't show where the pictures lay on the die itself.)

grimm182
December 31st, 2009, 16:20
ah, i was wondering if i might have jumped the gun in thinking it would be as simple as editing the art asset...(i blame it being slow at work). I could mock up something tommorrow if no one else has, ill check back. :)

Fyi, I am about 3/4s the way thru an alternate skin for the WFRGP2 ruleset by Nezzir. I will post pictures when i get the main images finalized.

drahkar
December 31st, 2009, 16:28
You could just edit the art assets, but the problem with that is, if you end up needing a normal d6 for some reason, you no longer have it. :)

grimm182
December 31st, 2009, 16:36
ah ,cool..i was trying to remember if there were actuall numbers for the art assets...thinking i take the 1 and the 10 images and make them symbols with proper masks...for my use of warhammer i only need the d10...course i better check when i get home...wonder how it does with the D10 (100%) if it shows the symbols but still correctly adds up the math...then all would be good.

drahkar
December 31st, 2009, 16:41
The only other thing to consider is how you want to have the die interact with the ruleset. With the Fudge dice there was the obvious need to interpret the results differently in the code itself. If you are going to handle it all manually though, that does make the change a lot simpler.

Foen
January 1st, 2010, 07:49
You cannot change the look of the dice (for example replacing numbers with symbols), all you can do is change how they are reported in the chat window text. So a fudge die with, say, {Fail, Fail, 0, 0, Success, Success} will still show a number when it lands (1 to 6) but the chat window can report Fail/0/Success.

The art assets for the rolling dice are compiled into the FG engine, and hence cannot be replaced for a ruleset. Re-skinning dice is something on the wish list!

Foen

drahkar
January 1st, 2010, 15:03
I could have sworn I had come across the requirements for changing that, but looking into what is in the actual ruleset, you are absolutely right. Sorry for the confusion on this.

This would definitely be something that would be extremely nice to get worked into the system. Granted most systems use one of the default dice set, but having the ability to make custom dice for the ones that don't would definitely open up the market for FGII even more. And make it one of the leading platforms because i can't think of a single other one that supports things either.

icedcrow
January 4th, 2010, 18:11
I would be forever indebted to whomever could come up with a ruleset for 3rd edition Warhammer.

Gods the things that we could do.

Answulf
January 5th, 2010, 21:09
From what I've read 3E seems a bit more appealing than 2E to me, so since I'm not a ruleset-maker I guess this one is going back on the shelf for a while...