PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Multiple PCs Within a Wireless Network

NW_Salmon_Watcher
December 22nd, 2009, 16:06
Greetings.

Let me just say first that (1) I am new to both the FG software and this forum and (2) I am NOT the strongest IT guy in the room.

Okay, disclaimer complete. I just wanted to share with anyone else that might be in the same boat as I, that I solved a problem for which I was not able to find any explicit help in the Forum before. I did it with some help from one of the support staff.

Anyhow, I was trying to connect two of my own systems via my home wireless network, so I could (a) learn the software from both the GM & player sides, and (b) prepare for our kickoff game when my players will all be over at my house to pilot this new gaming medium. But now matter how many changes I made to the firewalls, virus scanners, etc., of each system I could not get it to work. (Yes, I did successfully complete the Port Forwarding first and was awarded a "success" message on the Run Test button - but no connectivity between machines thereafter.)

What finally solved the issue was having the GUEST system use my INTERNAL IP address - not the external nor the alias, both of which failed to connect.

So if anyone else is stuck with a similar issue, please try this remedy and hopefully it will get you moving too. :o

Sigurd
December 22nd, 2009, 19:00
Congratulations.