PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling in story frames

VenomousFiligree
December 20th, 2009, 09:20
What's the maximum you believe you should scroll in a story frame, at what point should you think about breaking a long piece of text into a linklist, referenceindex of referenceinlineidex frame?

Griogre
December 21st, 2009, 06:11
IMO more than one page. However, I think you also need to think about whether the content is suppose to be referance or all read through at once. Referance material should have less scrolling, while if it is something like background text then it can be longer because it will probably be read though all at once (and not returned to often).

drahkar
December 29th, 2009, 20:16
Agreed. How this is broken up greatly depends on what is being displayed. I think the Video Tutorials of Xorn's covering the Adventure Module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/xorne-adventure-1a.wmv) has some excellent recommendations on formatting content.

VenomousFiligree
December 30th, 2009, 09:38
IMO more than one page. However, I think you also need to think about whether the content is suppose to be referance or all read through at once. Referance material should have less scrolling, while if it is something like background text then it can be longer because it will probably be read though all at once (and not returned to often).That could lead to lots of clicking to have just one page worth of info of reference text, a fine line between scrolling and clicking :)

Agreed. How this is broken up greatly depends on what is being displayed. I think the Video Tutorials of Xorn's covering the Adventure Module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/xorne-adventure-1a.wmv) has some excellent recommendations on formatting content.
Thanks I shall have to have another look at the video :)

Griogre
January 2nd, 2010, 11:04
That could lead to lots of clicking to have just one page worth of info of reference text, a fine line between scrolling and clicking :)
Generally, I think you want more scrolling not clicking - the exception being inline drop opens which I really like. Like you alluded to I think it is a mistake to go more than 4 levels deep from the library link list list and you don't want people constantly diving up and down through links.