PDA

View Full Version : Saving of Character Sheets

Morden
December 16th, 2009, 01:26
I'm new to FG, and not sure if this is a user (me) error, or if it is a bug.
I noticed that sometimes when I make changes to my local Character sheet it does not always save. As well, when I have logged into a DM hosted session and made changes to my Character sheet, those changes did not save.

Can someone provide an explanation?

Leonal
December 16th, 2009, 01:44
You cannot make changes locally after you have registered a character with the GM/host.

The manage characters only works to create characters before play, or to view characters you are already using AFAIK.
Any changes must be made when you're connected to the GM.

Morden
December 16th, 2009, 04:14
Can you re-submit a character to the DM? We have not started our campaign yet.

Leonal
December 16th, 2009, 05:34
If you create a new one locally then I'm sure you can select it the next time you connect. (depending on the ruleset in use, but if you managed to create it once, then you should be able to create a new one too)

If not, just keep the info ready and copy/paste to your character sheet when you connect next time.

Sigurd
December 16th, 2009, 12:56
In FG the game table always refers to the character saved on the DM's machine. In some rulesets you can build characters locally and then add them to the game table. When this happens the DM's machine makes a copy of your character as a 'server character'. All the in game changes are made to the server character.

You can reintroduce your local character (a modified name reduces confusion). It will have all the changes you made offline but none of the changes made in game.

Sigurd

ddavison
December 16th, 2009, 14:15
From a player perspective, it WOULD be nice to save a local copy. I will add this to the list of features to be worked on.

Foen
December 16th, 2009, 15:17
There is a copy saved in the cache, which you can access offline from the character management screen (I believe). I'm not sure, other than an XSLT-visible copy for printable character sheets, what else would be needed from an offline copy.

Leonal
December 16th, 2009, 15:32
I think being able to modify a character sheet offline after having connected to the host is what the OP was looking for. Much like you can with paper sheets (unless your GM keeps them locked up).

I've not had a use for it myself, but I can see it as being useful. Especially if one does stuff like shopping and other downtime activities between games by mail or forum etc.

Foen
December 16th, 2009, 15:44
True - I can imagine re-synchronisation would be problematic, as GMs also amend character sheets between sessions (I certainly do...).

Another suggestion a while back was using a remote server to hold character sheets (neither on the host nor on the clients) and checking them out for each game. That way the PCs could be available to everyone, and they could be used in different campaigns.

Of course the downside is that you need the remote character server to be available before you can play, so maybe this isn't such a good idea :o

Morden
December 17th, 2009, 04:03
Hmm....lots of good ideas. It would be a benefit for the DM to be able to "lock" a character sheet, and then release it back into the hands of the player if needed. Maybe a forced push from server environment back to host, and vie-versa on next server login?

Griogre
December 18th, 2009, 01:36
Hmm....lots of good ideas. It would be a benefit for the DM to be able to "lock" a character sheet, and then release it back into the hands of the player if needed.
This happens automatically as soon as a local character is transferred to the server or when a character is made on the server. The campaign cache holds a read only version of the character which the player may examine but not change.