PDA

View Full Version : Question about copyrighted modules

rgsearcy
December 14th, 2009, 18:51
Hello,

Little new to this, so I know this has probably been covered before, but I can't find it anywhere.

I just finished converting Dungeon Crawl Classics #0 to fantasy grounds. It occurs to me that people who actually own this might want my work. But it also occurs to me I can't give it to anyone who doesn't own the original as that would infringe on copyright.

So my question is this: Is there anyway to exchange fantasy grounds modules based on copyrighted modules you own? Or do these modules need to constantly be recreated by the owners since there is no legal way to exchange them?

Kind Regards

Foen
December 14th, 2009, 20:33
I am afraid you are in the latter territory: if you own a copyright product, I don't think you can even pass photocopy pages to another person who also owns the same product. Electronic versions are no better.

Effort has therefore been put into making software that can convert the purchased version (often PDF) into an FG-friendly format. Tenian is the High Master of this stuff, but others (Zephp etc) have made great steps using XSLT.

Foen

unerwünscht
December 14th, 2009, 20:42
Well.. actually... you could in theory still release the maps (provided you recreated them in like dundjinni or something) and the encounter sets, as long as you didn't include any of the text. Tho I am guessing this doesnt help you much.

Foen
December 14th, 2009, 21:21
By the way, how very rude of me not to welcome you to the FG community!

I hope you find us helpful and polite!

Stuart

unerwünscht
December 15th, 2009, 00:28
Oh wow... you are a 1st poster... Welcome to the community.

rgsearcy
December 15th, 2009, 15:36
Thank you for the welcomes, and the information. I understand, was just hoping for a different answer. Converting a module isn't to hard, just figured it would be nice if I could share what I have done in a legal way, but I guess not.

Thanks for the swift replies as well.

Phystus
December 16th, 2009, 00:38
On a brighter note, the new owner seems to be keen to pursue getting rights to publish FG conversions. See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11156). I don't know that he's tried to work with Goodman, but it might be worth suggesting.

~P

TaranShannara
December 16th, 2009, 15:22
I'd suggested Goodman recently and they were officially contacted. They were not too keen on the idea yet.