PDA

View Full Version : Players not getting Images/Tokens

DMJBone
December 13th, 2009, 20:47
For the past several weeks, a few of my players have been getting error messages and have not been able to see some tokens/images.

Error Messages:
Could not complete the file transfer of file tokens/shared/PCs/Gregor.jpg (connecting to host).Check your network configuration.

Could not complete file transfer of file campaign/images/Map/Map Drow Citadel.jpg (connecting to host). Check your network configuration.

Could not complete file transfer of file tokens/host/Large/Boneclaw.jpg (connecting to host). Check your network configuration.

The player who's getting these messages is running on Vista, using FG2 lite 2.6.2, (issued carried over from 2.6.1).

Another player has recently started to have the same issues (missing tokens/can't see images) but he's not getting error messages. He's using FG2 Full version 2.6.2 on WinXP.

We're using 4Ejpg ruleset.

Two of my other players (one on XP, one on Vista, both lite versions) are having no issues.

I use .jpg for both images and tokens and try and 'preload' all images at the start of the night. This is a very frustrating issue, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll watch the thread and try to respond ASAP with any additional information.

Uninstall/reinstall did not help.

Thanks,

Bert Blaine
December 13th, 2009, 22:21
I have a player with the same problem.

unerwünscht
December 13th, 2009, 23:07
Hmmm... This almost sounds like an intermittent route issue. I would honestly start with scanning your computer and the two affected computers for anything like spyware/adware.

DMJBone
December 13th, 2009, 23:22
Thanks for the reply.

We all run various anti-virus and use firewalls and I know they use Malwarebytes anti-malware scanning software.

But yes, I agree it seems to be some kind of issue where the images/tokens aren't transferring at all.

Rashek
December 17th, 2009, 04:30
Sunday we played right after doing the update, everything worked fine until the end of the night, when I began using a new mod that I had created (everything I run is through creating a Mod, sharing it with them and then running the game) we had some trouble getting the Maps to load with a Mask, had to play with out the mask on. Now on Wednesday night we are playing and my players cannot see the Tokens, some of them are the same tokens that where available to them and seen by them last week now they can't seem to see them. Anyone know how to fix this?

Red_Avatar
December 17th, 2009, 10:01
We're having this problem right now. The DM shows us maps and we can't see a thing. If we assign a portrait, it doesn't show up. The DM can see it, but no-one else can, not even those who have the portrait. One of my friends reported that he could see it after half an hour but maps and suchlike never loaded.

DMJBone
December 17th, 2009, 20:56
I just want to make it clear that this problem has been going on long before the last patch. We just 'suffered' through it for several weeks before finally coming here looking for some help. Which I'm still looking for...

My group and I are willing to do what it takes, please contact me and let me know what we need to do to help get this fixed.

Red_Avatar
December 18th, 2009, 03:04
Hmm it seems to be tied to specific people. Our DM is the one who has the problem but if I host, everything works like it should. The big problem here is that the DM has to be the host.

Rashek
December 20th, 2009, 19:47
Well for my group I have always been the host, and DM. We have never had a problem, I do everything as a Mod, share it with everyone else and then away we go. Suddenly last game session no one can see the tokens I place on the maps, whether they are exported as part of the mod or not, the only tokens they see are the ones for thier characters in the combat traker, anything else I place on the maps never show up for anyone except my son who plays on our homenetwork...

My first thought was it was an internet problem but everything checks out here at home and from my ISP, so why did this problem crop up out of noware? Could the latest patch have a conflict with Win 7? only other thing I can think of.

ddavison
December 20th, 2009, 19:54
Which patch are you referring to, 2.6.3 or 2.6.4? The patch version 2.6.4 had to be rolled back due to issues with tokens throughout the mod. If you show this version when you run, please run the update again and it should set you back to 2.6.3. There was nothing in 2.6.3 that affected tokens at all, as it was focused exclusively on the ultimate license.

DMJBone
December 20th, 2009, 22:05
We're currently running 2.6.3 - This issue has been with us I believe since at least 2.6.1 possibly 2.6.0

In the past we just had the player uninstall/reinstall-this no longer seems to clear up the problem.

Thanks for replying, I hope you can help us clear up this issue.

ddavison
December 21st, 2009, 02:55
Is there anything different between the last time it was working correctly and the last session?

1. Did you just upgrade to Win 7 or have you been running on that for a while?

2. Have you installed any new software on this machine?

3. Is this a new map and/or tokens or one that you've used in the past?

4. Did you add any new players?

5. Did the total number of players change?

6. Did you need to make any router changes to add your son to the network?

7. Is it possible that you have port 1802 forwarded from your router to his PC instead of yours?

8. Is there more than one instance of FG running on your system? Sometimes a hard crash will leave it running but invisible. This could potentially mess up the networking since it will intercept some network messages meant for your visible instance of FG2.

If nothing has changed on your end, then what about your players? It would seem unlikely that it could be them since it is affecting everyone but your local player... but just for completeness.

Scarlett
January 17th, 2010, 05:56
We had this issue tonight with players unable to load images (tokens and/or maps) and after several hours of trying various things found in the forums and elsewhere we discovered what the problem was. It seemed that our GM's young son had moved some files around, making the token file very very large so the players were downloading and trying to sort through art files and other files that should never have been in the token folder. Once the token folder was returned to just tokens, the problem was resolved. (We have a large group, 7 players + DM when everyone shows up, and the DM had just gotten a new router earlier in the week.)

I don't know if any of this information will help, but I thought I would share the experience :)

ddavison
January 17th, 2010, 07:00
Thanks for the update. I need to do some more research, but I believe there may be a performance hit when a very large amount of tokens are stored under "host" or "shared", even if they are not used. The larger the total file sizes, the more of a problem it may become. It would be helpful if hosts experiencing the problem could post the following info (whether you are having a problem or not):

1. Are you having problems?
2. How many files are in your token "host" folder?
3. What is the total file size of these tokens?
4. What is the total file size on disk for these tokens?
5. Repeat Q2-4 for shared.

Scarlett
January 17th, 2010, 08:08
I asked the DM for the information, and the answers to your questions are:

When we were having the problem, it was with the shared token file
There was 125 files (one a .zip file), 17 mb (total file size)

124 files, 1.2 mb (total file size) when there was no problem

The DM said he doesn't use the "host" token file, and after your query wonders is he doing something wrong there by not using it?

ddavison
January 17th, 2010, 16:43
Host will allow the GM to look through all the tokens and use them on maps. It keeps them hidden and separate from the players until they are shared by placing them on a map or attaching them to an NPC/Personality that is shared. Placing them in shared opens them up for use and browsing by the GM and connected players and is probably not what most GM's desire. After all, you don't want your players knowing what surprising you have in store for them.