PDA

View Full Version : Game-Stopping Issue: Ports

Von Stalhein
December 13th, 2009, 20:23
Hi there,

I am behind my university's (Oxford's) nigh-on impenetrable firewall system, and there is no way on Heaven or Earth that I will be able to use Port 1802.

Is there any way of using a different port? I've tried adding " -p80 " (without quotes) to the end of my FantasyGrounds.exe shortcut, but this doesn't seem to have changed anything because when I run the connection test it still fails.

Any/all help will be muchly, muchly appreciated. As it stands, it's beginning to look like my money has gone down the drain. :(

Thanks,

Von Stalhein

Phystus
December 13th, 2009, 20:43
I don't have personal experience with it, but reportedly Hamachi (a free VPN) is the ticket here. See this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8252&highlight=Hamachi) thread.

Hope that helps.

~P

Von Stalhein
December 13th, 2009, 21:18
Thanks, that looks promising - but I'm a bit concerned that Hamachi requires the ability to get through the Firewall itself in the first place.

Could anyone confirm for me whether you _can_ set FGII to use, say, Port 80, and whether the connection test in the launcher will take account of this?

Many thanks,

Von Stalhein

Von Stalhein
December 13th, 2009, 21:58
Just tested Hamachi using computers internal to the University and probably by pure luck have managed to establish solid connections. Will hopefully be able to test with someone from outside the uni soon.

Thanks,

-- VS

Red_Avatar
December 17th, 2009, 09:27
This port thing is really become a nuisance - it's a port that is closed on all routers and quite some ISPs even block it by default. One of my friends simply can't connect because of this - and Hamachi won't install on his PC. Anyone know an alternative? A simple port tunneler or something?

Valarian
December 17th, 2009, 12:57
There is the option to change ports, but you'll still need to open that port for incoming traffic. To change the port number used, you add a -p option on to the end of the Fantasy Grounds executable call. Hamachi is a port tunneller, it sets up a VPN between the connecting PCs.

Zoso
December 17th, 2009, 14:57
If hamachi won't work, you should be able to use any number of VPN solutions for it to work. OpenVPN comes to mind and there are many others.

Scarlett
January 17th, 2010, 06:02
To Red_Avatar: I have been playing on FGII for 2 years now and I never have to forward my ports to connect as a player, only as a DM...so it seems that if your friend is connecting as a player, there is some other issue than port forwarding. What problem exactly are they having? Any error messages or anything when they try to connect?

Febu
February 22nd, 2010, 12:47
Hi,

i started to play with FG from not much time. I'm not able to open the 1802 in any way but still able to connect, but having strong speed problems. When DM charges any map and adds tokens, it stucks with loading the map and i can see only red and yellow squares, even for long time.
Any solution to my problem? Thanks in advance...

Spyke
February 22nd, 2010, 13:23
Hi,

i started to play with FG from not much time. I'm not able to open the 1802 in any way but still able to connect, but having strong speed problems. When DM charges any map and adds tokens, it stucks with loading the map and i can see only red and yellow squares, even for long time.
Any solution to my problem? Thanks in advance...
Your issue sounds more like a problem with the spec of your own machine. I'd guess that you are using a PC with an integrated graphics on the motherboard, with graphics RAM as low as 32 Mb, or lower. Is that the case?

Spyke

Febu
February 22nd, 2010, 14:21
I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200... so i think it's the case... :(