PDA

View Full Version : am i thi only one that can't get into the store?

zWolf
December 13th, 2009, 02:49
Just checking to see if the store is down for anyone else... I asume that is where the EULA is at right?

if it's somewhere else could some one point me in that direction? also... I have a net book that I use at RL games... I'd like to use Fantasy Grounds 2 at the table to keep track of sessions...

Does the EULA allow me to install Fanatasy Grounds on both my main Desktop and on my net book as long as I am only using it on one machine at a time?

thanks.

zWolf -out.

Darkfaith
December 13th, 2009, 03:31
I'm getting into the store just fine myself...that said, the EULA isn't in the store, but looking at the FAQ, I was pointed here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/license.txt) for the EULA. I think the part you're looking for is this:

1. LICENSE GRANT. SmiteWorks, Ltd. grants you a license to use one copy of the version of this SOFTWARE on any one system for as many licenses as you purchase. "You" means the company, entity or individual whose funds are used to pay the license fee. "Use" means storing, loading, installing, executing or displaying the SOFTWARE. You may not modify the SOFTWARE or disable any licensing or control features of the SOFTWARE except as an intended part of the SOFTWARE's programming features. This license is not transferable to another organization. You may transfer a license to another individual once if the software has not been used on any system, and you are the original license holder as defined above. You may transfer the license to another system for your personal use as long as the SOFTWARE is not used or installed on multiple systems.

Now, that said, I think someone has mentioned around here having it installed on multiple systems...you can't run it on more than one system simultaneously, but from what I've see you may still be okay having it installed on both your systems. You may want to ask ddavison if you're concerned.

zWolf
December 13th, 2009, 06:13
ya I got in to the store fine from another computer on another network... it might have just been something wonky with the network I was on.

thanks for your response though.

zWolf
December 13th, 2009, 06:22
hmm,

the line that says:

You may transfer the license to another system for your personal use as long as the SOFTWARE is not used or installed on multiple systems.

seems pretty clear that you can't have it installed on multiple machines per the EULA at least.

hmmm.... I'd like to be able to DM on 3 of my machines... (I have apartments in two cities... and a laptop.) I have 2 Full licenses... looks like I'll need another...

Except.... there is 'this' line here:

SmiteWorks, Ltd. grants you a license to use one copy of the version of this SOFTWARE on any one system for as many licenses as you purchase.

well, I have several 'light' licenses (7) ... along with the 2 'full' licenses... so technically speaking wouldn't I be able to install the 'software' on 9 machines? and then, here is the tricky part... can I use the 'FULL' on any of the 9? it seems that as long as no more than 2 computers were using the 'full' client, that I should be able to use the 'full' client on any of the 9 computers that the software is installed on.... complicated eh?

zWolf
December 13th, 2009, 06:26
re reading that line, and noticing the words 'version of this SOFTWARE' particularly the word 'version' makes me think that I WOULD need to upgrade one of my lights' to the full version in order to have it installed on 3 computers.

All that said, I'm gonna have to say it seems a bit restrictive, in that I'm betting lots of folks use, or would like to have the abbility to use their DM software on their 'main' computer as well as a laptop.

I wonder if Doug would consider changing the EULA to allow installation on up to 3 machines as long is it is only used on 1 at a time... I wonder what that would do to their verification software...

anyway, lots of wondering in a trhead that's not even titled correctly... oh well, if the subject comes up in another thread, perhaps I'll just cut n paste this there.

heh.

unerwünscht
December 13th, 2009, 06:38
:)

Regardless of the fine letter of the EULA (which is 90% copy paste from other industry standard EULA) I doubt the owners of Fantasy Grounds are going to care in any way if you install the same copy of the program on three computers that you own, as long as no more than one copy is being used at any given point in time.

Now to clarify, This means you install the application on three computers that you own so that YOU can use the application. Not install it on three computers so your friends can use the application while you are not using it.

I personally have it installed on my home and office computers. But can assure you, anyone else touching either of those computers would quickly find their fingers broken regardless of if they are using Fantasy Grounds or not. But I have a lot of proprietary code that I don't want leaked on both of my systems.

ddavison
December 14th, 2009, 23:12
Before I acquired SmiteWorks, I had my full license installed on my laptop and my desktop and would alternate between the two. If my wife ever wanted to play FG2 as well, I would have purchased her a second license.

I do think having it installed in multiple locations might be the source of some of these package manifest errors that get reported from time to time though.