PDA

View Full Version : Foundation or Base

Brenn
December 12th, 2009, 15:34
I'm getting ready to sift through what I've done up to this point on my ORE/Reign ruleset to make ORE the base and Reign an extension to it. I'm wondering if I should use foundation or base as the starting point?

I have no use for any of the d20 functionality, combat tracker or any of that, but Base does have the drop down and auto complete code that is very nice.

VenomousFiligree
December 12th, 2009, 15:49
If it works along side Feon's generic ruleset extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81543&postcount=14) then Base would be worth going with. Foundation has no notes, npc's etc.

LilCthulhu
December 12th, 2009, 20:23
I was a little bit like you at first, not knowing if I should work upon the FR (foundation ruleset), BR (base ruleset) or 35 (d20 ruleset)... So instead of building a ruleset, I started it out by building extensions... and they work like this:

Let's say devext is the "ruleset" I want to create. I'm going to extend the above ruleset and build upon it. First, I created the following folders and extension.xml file into each one.

DevExtAB (Abstract layer)
DevExtFR (extension to Foundation ruleset)
DevExtBR (extension to base ruleset)
DevExt35 (extension to 3.5 ruleset)

Each of my extension.xml has reference to ",,\DevExtAB\file.xml" for whatever is required that is common to all ruleset. Then in each extensions folders, I only have what is required by this ruleset and not the other one to build my ruleset...

While I'm developping my first ruleset, I'' therefore be able to see if one ruleset is not proper for my ruleset development.... otherwise, I'm going to use the one that is best (with the least of unecessary code)... Of course, since my ruleset has nothing to do with D&D, the 35 will be removed, but I use it as a reference...

Eventually, I will have to merge my extension with the proper ruleset in order to release the final ruleset... but while developping this has kept my code very clean, separate from their original ruleset and quick to test out base upon three ruleset... the abstract layer does the job !

Of course, file link will have to be eventually modified... Since my own ruleset will have extensions eventually...

Not an easy task, but I knwo that while developping my "Extensions" the base rulesets have remain intact... and are a good reference !