PDA

View Full Version : Invalid License Key (Ultimate)

codemephit
December 11th, 2009, 06:32
I just purchased the Ultimate license and downloaded the setup file from the order page. When trying to install, I am told that the license key is invalid. My order number is 10462. I read a post saying that you need the 'new' setup files, but I cant figure out where to get them from.

Any ideas?

Thanks =)

ddavison
December 11th, 2009, 06:37
Try the link from the downloads page.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads

I may need to update the file repository with this new download as well. Let me know once that works (or if it doesn't for some reason) and I will get right on it.

ddavison
December 11th, 2009, 06:42
That looks like that was the problem. The download link from the order receipt points to a different location for the setup program. I uploaded a new version to this location as well, so the installer should now match what is available from the download page.

Valarian
December 11th, 2009, 08:17
The next question (before a purchase) is what counts as an "unregistered" client. The demo is not the same version. Can people now run the installer to get an unregistered Lite version?

EDIT: scrap that ... found the information in the announcement. I should try reading other threads before posting :)

Along with this, your potential players will need to download the normal setup and check the box during the install which says "Install unregistered version for connecting with ULTIMATE licenses (check box and leave license field blank)."

codemephit
December 11th, 2009, 13:27
I downloaded the program from the above link, however I am still getting the invalid license message. Also, for the unlicensed clients (the people I am supposed to play with tonight) what should they download? The installer on the download page requires a key, there is not an option for 'unlicensed mode' during setup.

Thanks for the timely response to my original post!

-CM

ddavison
December 11th, 2009, 20:43
Oh wow, my apologies. Please try it again now from either link. I just corrected the issue and verified that the download is now correct. There should now be a checkbox to install the unregistered version. If you don't see that box then it is not the latest installer and it will balk at the ultimate license key as well.

unerwünscht
December 11th, 2009, 22:32
OMG Melt Down!!! We just went to reinstall Fantasy Grounds for all my players, and all of the lite keys are giving invalid key errors now. The one player with a Full key installed fine.

Zeus
December 11th, 2009, 23:14
OMG Melt Down!!! We just went to reinstall Fantasy Grounds for all my players, and all of the lite keys are giving invalid key errors now. The one player with a Full key installed fine.

"Along with this, your potential players will need to download the normal setup and check the box during the install which says "Install unregistered version for connecting with ULTIMATE licenses (check box and leave license field blank)."

Are you supposed to add Lite license keys for clients connecting to ULTIMATE hosts?

joshuha
December 11th, 2009, 23:14

You were trying to uninstall those with a lite license and reinstall with the unregistered version? If I recall even after an uninstall the lite license leaves the license key in the registry and that may cause an issue (not sure). If any of your users are comfortable with it have them try and remove the Fantasy Grounds II registry tree after an uninstall and then try reinstalling.

ddavison
December 11th, 2009, 23:38

Unerwünscht, I just tested each of the keys you PM'd me and they were accepted for me within the instalelr. At what point do you actually get the error message? Is it as soon as you click next from the install wizard step where you enter the key or is it after the install finishes and it launches FG for the first time?

Did they do a full uninstall first or just try to install over the top?

Are they going from Lite to unregistered or just reinstalling the Lite licenses?

I have to step out for a little bit but I will check back in about an hour to see if you are getting any farther.

unerwünscht
December 11th, 2009, 23:39
You were trying to uninstall those with a lite license and reinstall with the unregistered version? If I recall even after an uninstall the lite license leaves the license key in the registry and that may cause an issue (not sure). If any of your users are comfortable with it have them try and remove the Fantasy Grounds II registry tree after an uninstall and then try reinstalling.

No, the current economic situations put the unlimited license outside of what I am aloud to play with at the moment. So I am using my full license. It just so happens that we decided to run a game using Fantasy Grounds again. My first player (who owns his own full license) downloaded and installed just fine.

Out of my other three players one had to reinstall, and her key is returning an 'invalid key' error. I thought there was maybe a chance I sent her the wrong key so I sent her another one that I know is not being used (and has not been for a very long time) and she got the same error yet again.

She tried with and without the dashes and nothing worked. So I am guessing that there is one of two possibilities. The first being that my keys have been disabled for some reason (but the other two players are running just fine) or the new version of the installer is not accepting the keys for some reason.

unerwünscht
December 11th, 2009, 23:43
Unerwünscht, I just tested each of the keys you PM'd me and they were accepted for me within the instalelr. At what point do you actually get the error message? Is it as soon as you click next from the install wizard step where you enter the key or is it after the install finishes and it launches FG for the first time?

Did they do a full uninstall first or just try to install over the top?

Are they going from Lite to unregistered or just reinstalling the Lite licenses?

I have to step out for a little bit but I will check back in about an hour to see if you are getting any farther.

Ok as far as I can tell (from what she is telling me) with the new installer it declines the keys instantly, once they are entered. With the old installer (another player had it still) it accepts the keys at first and then gives her an invalid key error once it makes it to the update stage.

ddavison
December 12th, 2009, 00:36
I found the problem. There is nothing wrong with your license key(s) and she probably isn't doing anything wrong on her end. The problem is that the installer was incorrectly installing the Full version of the application when a Lite license key is entered. When the FG app is launched, it sees that it is trying to run the Full version with a Lite key and pops the error message. That still doesn't explain why it would give her an error within the install wizard though, unless she is not realizing that the last step actually launches the newly installed application after completion by default.

I am uploading a new version once again. I am really sorry for the inconvenience. I believe I will have to spend a little bit longer on the testing even for relatively simple changes such as this.

I will post again once it is available for download again.

ddavison
December 12th, 2009, 00:52
Okay, please re-download the installer and try installing the Lite licenses again.

codemephit
December 12th, 2009, 04:30
The new version available for download worked like a charm. We are six very happy gamers now! Thanks for your help and quick responses. It is very refreshing to see a dev this actively engaged in their project / forum. And for the record, this is hands-down-no-questions-asked probably the best $150 I have ever put into my gaming arsenal. Thanks for an outstanding product.

-CM

unerwünscht
December 12th, 2009, 04:49
Worked like a charm for us as well, the odd person out is connected and downloading the rule set from me now.

ddavison
December 12th, 2009, 06:33
Great. I'm glad to hear that it is working for you now and I apologize for the confusion.

VenomousFiligree
January 7th, 2010, 18:49
Oh wow, my apologies. Please try it again now from either link. I just corrected the issue and verified that the download is now correct. There should now be a checkbox to install the unregistered version. If you don't see that box then it is not the latest installer and it will balk at the ultimate license key as well.
I'm not seeing the box when I install :(

ddavison
January 7th, 2010, 21:06
I'm not seeing the box when I install :(

Are you sure you downloaded and ran the latest installation from the Downloads page?

It should look like this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1010&d=1260564428

VenomousFiligree
January 7th, 2010, 21:23
Are you sure you downloaded and ran the latest installation from the Downloads page?

It should look like this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1010&d=1260564428
On deleting the registry entry, everything went fine :)