PDA

View Full Version : Character Selection

Patty Cake
December 10th, 2009, 20:19
Hello! I am here because one of my players has a strange problem.
Whenever she tries to log into a character through character selection, or make a new character she errors out with a "Fantasy Grounds needs to close." type error.

I am still using Fantasy Grounds 1, and I hope most of you still remember it enough to answer questions about it. No?:p

We've tried reinstalling in many different ways, checked to see if the folder is correct just incase. Do you have any ideas what the problem might be?

Griogre
December 18th, 2009, 01:44
Are you sure your player is using FG1?

Patty Cake
January 11th, 2010, 00:22
Yes, yes I am. I am 100% sure of that.

Valarian
January 11th, 2010, 09:01
The question then becomes ... why? A valid and legitimate license for FG1 also works for FG2.

Patty Cake
January 11th, 2010, 20:11
Because, I dislike FG2. Some things are smoother, and the appearance is much nicer. But there are just things I don't like dealing with. Now then, any clues as to why I can't get her FG working? If not, it's kind of not helpful.

tdewitt274
January 11th, 2010, 20:36
I don't believe Valarian meant to question the reason for using FG1. The two versions use the same key, so it doesn't make sense there.

Can you provide a screen shot of the error? This would help any devs narrow down the error.

tenkar
January 11th, 2010, 21:43
I dont even think FG1 is supported at this point. Ouch is all i can say.

drahkar
January 11th, 2010, 21:53
Thats the biggest hurdle you will find. Nobody or at least almost nobody is using FG1 any longer. Finding any kind of support on it is going to be extremely difficult.

Best of luck in finding a solution. As a suggestion, perhaps you can list exactly what bothers you in FG2. I, for one, would love to hear the problems. With how much of the environment is defined within the ruleset I'd like to see how many things could be solved as a ruleset developer.

Phystus
January 12th, 2010, 00:45
Have you tried searching the support archives? I looked at how old they got and they go back to 2004. I don't recall exactly when FG2 came out but I don't think it's that old, so maybe you'll get lucky.

As for support you're probably on your own, the company has changed hands and the guys who developed FG1 have moved on.

What ruleset are you using? Is there an FG2 version of it?

~P

ddavison
January 12th, 2010, 22:30
Unfortunately, FG1 is no longer officially supported. You are welcome to continue posting on the forums in hopes that someone else is still using FG1 and has seen the same problem and resolved it.

Spyke
January 13th, 2010, 19:31
When you say 'log on', is she logging into create or edit a character on her own machine, or logging into your machine to edit or create a character live in your session?

If the latter, does she still have the problem if you start a new campaign using the standard d20 ruleset?

Spyke

tdewitt274
January 13th, 2010, 22:31
Also, what rulest are you using and what version of FGI are you running?

drahkar
January 14th, 2010, 01:13
As a recap for Patty Cake. These are the things that would be extremely helpful for any chance of someone to assist.

- Can you supply a screenshot of the actual error?
- What ruleset are you using?
- When was that ruleset released?
- What is the full version of FGI that you are using?

With the above questions, there is a better chance of being able to help with this specific issue.

As a follow up, if you could also answer:

- What about FGII do you dislike?
- What things would you like to see added?

The reason this would be helpful is that it would allow us to see how much of the issues you have with FGII are related to the underlying software and how much of it is related to how things have been implemented in the Ruleset.

In FGII easily most of the functionality you deal with that is not a part of the main menu is defined within the ruleset. So there is an extremely good chance that the problems you have with the newer version are solvable within the community.