PDA

View Full Version : User Manual available from Downloads page

ddavison
December 9th, 2009, 18:27
It is a little dated but I think it will still be helpful for people who want some off-line documentation on how to use some of the basic features of the program. I will look at updating this and also including it with the installation.

-Doug

Here is the link: User Manual (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsManual.pdf)

zWolf
December 10th, 2009, 06:19
It is a little dated but I think it will still be helpful for people who want some off-line documentation on how to use some of the basic features of the program. I will look at updating this and also including it with the installation.

-Doug

Here is the link: User Manual (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsManual.pdf)

Nice, thanks for putting it up!

zWolf -out.

Doswelk
December 10th, 2009, 21:08
Is that the manual that came with FG1?

Brings back some memories (not that is was that long ago!)

:D

ddavison
December 10th, 2009, 23:16
It is from late 2007 but it still does a fairly good job of introducing the user to the program. I will be updating it fairly soon.

Invain63
December 11th, 2009, 15:31
It is from late 2007 but it still does a fairly good job of introducing the user to the program. I will be updating it fairly soon.

You, sir, are The Man! Thanks. :)

-Kevin McD

Zeus
December 11th, 2009, 16:40
Doug, thanks for this, a welcome additional help resource.

I planned to convert the PDF into a FGII module (leveraging the recently new ruleset agnostic capability for modules) so that I could make it available to my group within FGII itself. However extracting the text from the PDF via simple cut n paste seems to result in corrupted text?

At first I thought it might be down to encryption or some other security measure however upon closer examination the PDF appears to contain no such security setting. The PDF properties seem to state text extraction is OK/allowed.

I have also tried converting to MS-Word, XML and HTML all with similar results. Was this done deliberatley? If not, could you take a look?

Thanks Z.

Darkfaith
December 11th, 2009, 17:06
Corrupted text in a OCR'd PDF is most frequently caused by the PDF image being too blurry, too dark, or too low of a resolution for the OCR utility to properly make out the characters (this has caused much headache for me lately with my 4e book scans. It doesn't seem to like fancy or italicized text either >.<)

If the PDF was typed in as a document and then converted to PDF, then....I'm not sure >.>

Edit: Having taken a quick look at the document, it looks like it's an OCR'd document, but the problem looks like improperly set fonts. Someone may want to extract the pages as images of the highest resolution they can get and then put it back together and re-OCR the entire thing.

Zeus
December 11th, 2009, 17:37
Yes your right, I suspect it is Font related.

The resolution of the PDF is quite good so I am not that confident that a re-scan and OCR would do the trick. I have already tried re-OCRing it using Acrobat Pro but it fails with an unknown error.

The orginal document looks like it was created with MS Word, so perhaps it has something to do with the PDF creation method that was used.

ddavison
December 11th, 2009, 18:43
I asked the former SmiteWorks guys for the original but I don't have it yet -- or at least it might be buried in among a lot of other files. I can provide that once I get my hands on one.

Zeus
December 11th, 2009, 18:47
That would be great, thanks Doug.

Darkfaith
December 11th, 2009, 21:54
I have Acrobat Pro at the moment, so I may see if I can do an extraction as images and re-OCR it later tonight. If I can get that done, I'll post it up here for you guys.

Darkfaith
December 12th, 2009, 02:33
Okay, it isn't perfect, but this has been reprocessed, OCR'd and bookmarked. If you're using it to turn into a mod, you may need to watch for the odd stray character or spelling error, but overall it's usable.

Zeus
December 13th, 2009, 11:07
Here you go, attached ZIP contains:

FGII User Manual.mod - Should work with most rulesets including FGBase, Foundation and d20.

FGII User Manual (4E_JPG).mod - Makes use of the custom Reference Library format by Tenian/moon_wizard under the 4E_JPG ruleset.

Enjoy.