PDA

View Full Version : Which Fonts Work?

Foen
December 7th, 2009, 22:03
Using new fonts with FG (and the neat FGF utility) is a bit hit-and-miss, how do folks find the process?

To date my limited experience is:

In general, fonts which curl beteen letters don't translate to FG well;
It isn't clear where the native FG fonts come from;
I have successfully converted Segoe UI and Twentieth Century Condensed;
I have seen conversions of SF Comic and Feast of Flesh, which seem to work well; and
Optima didn't convert well.

Any other observations/recommendations?

Cheers

Foen

Valarian
December 8th, 2009, 08:36
I can't even work out the exact point sizes used, let alone the fonts. I've asked the developers a couple of times if there's a list.
I think it's basically down to trial and error, a lengthy process.

Zeus
December 13th, 2009, 12:23
I recently did some extensive font work for the upcoming 4E_JPG v2 ruleset.

As some of the fonts were propreitry fonts owned by WotC I had to produce clones for Lolth and Vecna but had difficulty with the Mentor and Mentor Sans family fonts.

In the end I re-worked an open version of Candara to replace the Mentor fonts and with greater success.

I think it helps when converting the fonts using the FGII Font Generator tool if the source font contains bitmap versions of the glyphs, fonts which just contained vector based glyphs caused no end of problems (misalignement, irregular shapes etc.)

Small font sizes (8-9px) also seem to cause the tool problems when converting italised or curled style fonts. Tip: keep an eye on the Sample subwindow - look for breaks, corruption and mis-alignment of the sample lower-case and upper-case glyphs.

As for what the sizes are: For 4E_JPG I ended up using font sizes ranging between 8 px - 16px. Where:

default fonts = 9px
mini fonts = 10px

sheetnumber, text and label = 9px
small sheetnumber, text and label = 8px

chat fonts = 9px

hotkeys = 9px

CT fonts = 8-10px (depending on titles, ct_entry text)

Standard text = 9px
Standard headers = 14px

Statblock titles = 11px
Statblock text = 9px

Reference text = 9px
Reference headers = 14px
Reference section = 10px

Index Titles = 16px

noneother222
January 17th, 2010, 04:45
Any chance anyone can add a link to dowload the FGII font generator tool? Or is the FG tool in downloads the most current version?

Foen
January 17th, 2010, 06:04
Hi Noneother, and welcome to these forums. I hope you find us friendly and helpful!

I am not aware of anything more current than the one in the downloads section: it would be nice to see more features in it though, like the ability to edit the resulting bitmaps.

Foen