PDA

View Full Version : Strange Script Error - Help!

Amagoran
December 1st, 2009, 07:40
Whenever one of my players types anything she gets this strange error message (below). When she goes to another screen and comes back, she can type again, but when she hits enter (just like the first time) the error comes up again and she can't do anything until she moves between screens again. We're both running version 2.6.2 (she is on the LITE version, I have the full) and the 4E JPG ruleset.

Here is the error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/chat_entry.lua:]:34: attempt to concatenate a nil value

Any ideas?

ddavison
December 1st, 2009, 18:38
This might be specific to the 4E_JPG ruleset, but I would suspect there is some value which she does not have filled out. Check the character sheet to make sure she has her name entered and that she has a portrait selected. I believe there are options in that ruleset to automatically prefix the portrait and/or character name to chat items. It sounds like it isn't finding the necessary element, so it is displaying an error about concatenating a nil value. Concatenation is the process of joining two values together -- for instance the Player or Character's Name and the chat message they attempted to provide.

Moon Wizard
December 1st, 2009, 22:52
I think I saw this error occur when the client had not selected a character, but attempted to chat. It's fixed in my version under development, but you can workaround by selecting a character to use before attempting to chat.

Cheers,
JPG

Amagoran
December 2nd, 2009, 06:22
That was exactly the problem! We were just testing the program as it was a bit late at night and didn't want to have her input a character sheet yet. Thanks! I feel rather stupid now, I should have thought of that. :)

Cheers,
Josh