PDA

View Full Version : Strange Installation

kaarle30
November 18th, 2009, 16:15
I am running Windows XP Pro SP3, I upgraded to FG 2 after having a hard drive crash. When I installed FG 2, I chose to install it on a different partition and it went to the lcation I chose. But in checking, I saw that under the Start Menu/Programs there was a shortcut to Documents and Settings/Application Data. Checking the D drive where I chose to install it, FG 2 was also there under Program Files. The install under Documents and Settings/ Application Data looks to be a full install with the various folders for character, tokens, etc. But those folders are not under the D drive install. I also found that on my Start Menu, that the shortcut seems to be to the C Drive/Documents and Settings install as there is also a folder for Application Data listed there. So for my Desktop shortcut, I made it to the C Drive/Documents and Settings location.
After a week, I saw that updates were available when I started FG 2 (from the Documents and Settings location), so I ran the update engine and went to Version 2.6.2. I then checked the executable from the D Drive/Progrms Files location and found that it was still Version 2.6.1. So I ran the updater engine again and it updated to version 2.6.2.

Does FG 2 prefer only the C drive location and nowhere else? I have never encountered such a strange install like this before.

Thanks for any answers and suggestions.
Kaarle30

ddavison
November 18th, 2009, 16:41
The program separates the data from the program files. There are a lot of applications which store data in this location, but Fantasy Grounds definitely stores much more here than most. There should not be a separate EXE file under Documents and Settings.

Oberoten
November 18th, 2009, 22:34
As a further explanation one could also add that this is complying with how Microsoft wants programs to be installed under their new architecture.

Programs go into the program folder which can then be checked for any attempts at changing the folder further (and denied the right to do so) while data that might be altered more often goes into the data-folder.

SmiteWorks in their original form decided to comply with this form from the update to FG 2.0

- Obe

kaarle30
November 19th, 2009, 03:03
Ok, that is reasonable then. But any ideas of why the updater to FG 2 didn't update both .exe files?

Two other questions then: Under the Application Data folder, I have a folder called Modules, in it are 8 files labeled as MPEG files, but neither Windows Media Player 11 or Realplayer are playing them. I get an error message that thee is no codec to let them play.

2nd: Under the ruleset folder, there is nothing listed. But if I click on Library when FG 2 is open, I have the 3.5E Players Handbook and Spells and the d20 players and spells, but no Monster Manuals. Is my installation possibly faulty?

Foen
November 19th, 2009, 06:36
Reference data for FG is stored in .MOD (module) files and appears in the Library. The files in your modules directory are therefore the same ones that you see in your FG Library (players guide, spells etc). Unfortunately, .MOD is also an extension used by some media players: the extensions are the same but the file layouts are completely different, so you can't 'play' a reference module in WMP.

If you have eight files in the modules folder, you have all the ones that are installed by FG. If only four of them are showing up in the FG Library, then I suggest you have one of the following issues:

Player Mode: you are running FG in player/client mde instead of host mode, in which case some of the modules won't show up because they are GM-only (monsters and magic items);
Module Selection: you haven't selection the modules to be available. You need to open the module activation dialogue box (one of the button on the top right, which looks like an open book) and make the missing modules available, otherwise they won't appear in the Library; or
Bad Files: your install didn't work properly and your module files are somehow corrupted. If this is the case, you might want to try reinstalling FG.

Hope that helps

Foen