PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset agnostic modules now allowed

ddavison
November 16th, 2009, 20:50
If you want to build a generic module that can work with any ruleset, you can now do so by using the following within your module's definition.xml

<ruleset>Any</ruleset>

This will allow publishers and the community to develop generic map, story and token packs that don't depend on specific functionality within a given ruleset.

We should start seeing new arrivals from 0one Games in the store shortly and the products will have several versions of each map along with links to blank story windows for each location of interest. As an example, this will allow the GM to use same map pack to within a 4E, Rolemaster Classic and a Savage Worlds campaigns. The images only exist in one place but the store notes for each room could be specific to each setting or campaign. They might use the 32-pixel per square player maps when playing 4E and use the 75 pixel per square player map when playing Savage Worlds.

Oberoten
November 16th, 2009, 21:15
Excellent first update. :) I like it.

Not the biggest of steps, but decidedly a nice one. Should make it easy to make a proper manual for FG that can be used under any setting as a MOD.

- Obe

ddavison
November 16th, 2009, 21:22
I was thinking the same thing with regards to a user manual.

The update is very small. The important part for me is that it allowed me to walk through the process of building, testing and then deploying a patch through the patch server. I'm still taking baby steps for the moment.

Valarian
November 16th, 2009, 21:46
Actually, an extension tag in modules would be extremely useful when you start adding extensions. I've added characters sheet extensions to the Foundation ruleset. I'd find it very useful to be able to tag the module to the both the ruleset and a specific extension.

mr_h
November 16th, 2009, 22:35
Awesome...does this mean we can look forward to Atheist rulesets being supported soon?

/sorry, sorry... :)

rule of three
November 20th, 2009, 16:32
Small change but great update when you game with many rulesets.
:cool:

DMJBone
November 22nd, 2009, 07:06
A small but interesting change. I look forward to seeing how this develops. Thanks.

cpbs
January 26th, 2010, 23:25
I was wondering if you could add this feature when you /export the module with in Fantasy Grounds. It would make it easier then having to:

> Create the module in foundation ruleset
> Extract module
> Edit module
> Repack module

Also I have noticed that when a module is first loaded into FG, it will not notice the module until after I have closed FG down and reopened it. Any reason for this?

cpbs

ddavison
January 27th, 2010, 01:49
The export screen could probably use several updates. We'll add this to the list for when we shift focus to that area.

The modules don't show up because it loads them all into memory (the names and the like) upon start-up and then filters out incompatible ones once the ruleset is selected.

Foen
January 27th, 2010, 06:06
I'd be keen to see modules reloaded when a /reload command is issued. For now you have to drop back to the launcher menu and restart the campaign. Not critical, but it would make ruleset testing a bit easier.

Veldehar
January 27th, 2010, 17:37
As someone who makes lots of errors and runs test after test after test trying to find the stinking little buggers! I'd love a quicker way to reload, heh heh.

Veldehar