PDA

View Full Version : USB Installer and running FG2 from USB drive

Grey Mage
November 16th, 2009, 03:34
An odd thought occurred to me which I am uncertain has been addressed here before... would it be possible to install FG2 (with any desired rulesets, etc) on a USB drive. Since an 8gb drive is under $10 US many places it seems to me this might be the perfect way for a GM to purchase licenses and then install FG2 to each drive and give/mail them to his players.

Each would then have the desired tokens, maps, rulesets, etc and everything else they might need to play.

Has anyone done anything like this yet?

drahkar
November 16th, 2009, 06:41
The software uses a bunch of registry entries that are created on install. Between that and the fact the rulesets are downloaded when you connect, this wouldn't really work.

It is an interesting idea though.

zabulus
November 16th, 2009, 06:43
Searching the forums on "stick" turned up this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11070) thread. Don't think it's that much help, but then at least you know what people have tried.

MindWorX
November 16th, 2009, 10:52
Making this work should be simple enough. I could make a small app, that you'd have to run once, and your registry would get setup to run using the USB stick. Only issue I forsee is the the license registry, you'd have to set it up with a different license on each USB stick. But i don't think that's really a problem anyways.

Grey Mage
November 17th, 2009, 08:36
This was exactly what I was thinking about... purchase several licenses and then install each on a USB stick with everything needed... hand out to the players and "voila!"

MindWorX
November 17th, 2009, 12:35
I'll try and cook up a simple installer and upload it somewhere either later today, or tommorow, then you can give it a go. :)

MindWorX
November 18th, 2009, 14:55
Alright. Place it the root of your fantasy grounds folder, and place the application data in a sub folder called data. Like this:

USB:\..\Fantasy Grounds II\ <- Place the tool here.
USB:\..\Fantasy Grounds II\data <- Place the application data here.

Run the tool.

Attached the source if you want to check it out, so you know that I'm not stealing your keys. ;) The source is compilable with Visual Studio 2010 Beta, probably also previous if you modify it a little. That reminds me, the program needs .NET 3.5.

Lemme know how it works out.