PDA

View Full Version : Client Connection Test

Kagesh
November 12th, 2009, 03:12
Hello All,
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and I've just installed FG2 Full Version tonight. May question is: Is there a way to test a Client Connection? On the 'Create New Campaign' screen there is a test to see if my computer will accept incoming client connections, but I'm looking for a way to test my outgoing client connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Sigurd
November 12th, 2009, 04:08
There isn't really a unique outgoing client connection. If the pipeline works it works both ways.

If you would like to see how your clients will see the desktop, start your campaign. Next start a second instance of Fantasy Grounds and select "Join".

Give yourself a name to log in with (I use 'Client' but then I'm imaginative.) and log into 127.0.0.1 (this number is preset as the IP of your own machine).

Sigurd

Zeus
November 12th, 2009, 13:05
Hello All,
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and I've just installed FG2 Full Version tonight. May question is: Is there a way to test a Client Connection? On the 'Create New Campaign' screen there is a test to see if my computer will accept incoming client connections, but I'm looking for a way to test my outgoing client connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

To test an outbound client connection you may also want to post a request on the forum to join a FGII session as a guest. Many of the GM's here tend to support this type of thing, also helps you to understand how you can leverage all the features of FGII during gameplay by shadwing some gameplay and GMing.

The added benefit is that this tests your connectivity out through your router as well.

PM me I you want, I'd be happy to fire up a campaign for you to connect to.

Kagesh
November 12th, 2009, 21:13
Sigurd and zephp,
Thanks for replying. And zephp thanks for the offer of helping me test my outbound client connection. While search for answers on this forum I seen a couple of replies that indicate that clients don't need to do anything with their firewalls, is this true?

Mark

Spyke
November 12th, 2009, 21:34
Sigurd and zephp,
Thanks for replying. And zephp thanks for the offer of helping me test my outbound client connection. While search for answers on this forum I seen a couple of replies that indicate that clients don't need to do anything with their firewalls, is this true?

Mark
Yes, only the GM needs to configure port forwarding.

Spyke

Kagesh
November 14th, 2009, 23:58
Yes, only the GM needs to configure port forwarding.

Spyke

Thank you Spyke. Was there a change on this between FG1 and FG2? Here is why I'm asking. A few years back two of my friends were working on getting a campaign going using FG1. They both needed to open and forward ports to get things working. After a short time the friend that was the DM and hosting the game went awol, he has now resently reappeared. My other friend and I won copies of FG2 at a game convention. This second friend has installed FG2 on his computer (the computer was rebuilt since they were working with FG1 and it wasn't on the computer when FG2 was installed) and he has tried to connect with our first friend. He hasn't been able to connect as he doesn't have the port open on his firewall. So my questions are: 1, can FG2 clients connect to a FG1 host and 2, if so will the clients need to open the port? I believe they're going to try to connect tomorrow with the client's firewall removed.

Foen
November 15th, 2009, 06:57
FG1 cannot connect to FG2, nor can one version of FG2 (say v2.2) connect to another (say v2.3.6).

Clients don't usually need to mess around with ports, as the connections are started by the client, and that is usually permitted by routers and firewalls.

Hosts accept incoming unsolicted connections, and that sort of thing is usually blocked by routers and firewalls - hence the problems.

Cheers

Foen

Spyke
November 15th, 2009, 09:38
Also, it's a free upgrade from FG1 to FG2 so all of you should be able to update to the latest version.

Spyke

Kagesh
November 15th, 2009, 15:38
Thanks for the information!

Mark