PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the DM 'lighting feature'

Sigurd
November 4th, 2009, 00:01
On the DM's table there is an option to tint the screen to reflect the time of day (morning, noon, night etc....).

Do you use it?

EugeneZ
November 4th, 2009, 00:22
Not as often as I'd like. I would love it if there was a way in code to specify the color and intensity of the light. I would probably use it more often. Also, if it was scriptable, we can do cool stuff with it like flickering fire. :D

Sorontar
November 4th, 2009, 00:24
When I remember to I like to change the mood with it yeah, I have new players and it has drawn comment when I do it.

joshuha
November 4th, 2009, 00:30
Not as often as I'd like. I would love it if there was a way in code to specify the color and intensity of the light. I would probably use it more often. Also, if it was scriptable, we can do cool stuff with it like flickering fire. :D

There is actually a way to do custom colors. I remember when first playing around with scripting I create a simple slash handler to pass in color parameters. One of the parameters is alpha so that does affect the intentisity somewhat and with a slash handler you could even have a small table to convert common color words to their RGB values.

Sigurd
November 4th, 2009, 00:46
I'm surprised people use it. Interesting.

RE Changing Colours:

Do you think you could tie it back to the die colour picker? Simply make a new option that would call up the colour wheel?

I'd like to squeeze more out of it if its going to claim the real estate on the screen.

S

VenomousFiligree
November 4th, 2009, 07:25
I've usually got too many other things on my mind to remember it's there!

I have been on the recieving end however and it worked well

DNH
November 4th, 2009, 09:29
One feature I would like to see in FG2, and I have mentioned this before, is an in-game calendar. That is, a customisable campaign calendar that can be used to track the time, date, year etc. The reason I mention this is that the lighting effects could be tied in to reflect the current game time, which would be rather neat.

Leonal
November 4th, 2009, 10:06
There's a calendar/date&time extension available somewhere around here. It's on the wiki too and works great^^. I edited mine to fit with Golarion.
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Campaigndate

I use the lighting future when I remember too, but it would be cool, as mentioned above, if it had customizable colors.

Zeus
November 4th, 2009, 11:33
I created a version of the extension for the Forgotten Realms Calendar.

https://zgp.eugenez.net/FGII%204E_JPG%20Extensions/

Valarian
November 4th, 2009, 12:09
RE Changing Colours:
Do you think you could tie it back to the die colour picker? Simply make a new option that would call up the colour wheel?
I'd find this far more usable ... especially when running the sci-fi games (tinting a planet's atmosphere and sunlight anyone?)

Spyke
November 4th, 2009, 12:38
I'm surprised people use it. Interesting.
It's one of my favourite features of FG. Used sparingly and at the right moment it can send shivers down my spine.

Spyke

Spyke
November 4th, 2009, 12:41
When I remember to I like to change the mood with it yeah, I have new players and it has drawn comment when I do it.
I actually write it into the adventure story page to remind myself to change it.

In any scenario there are usually a couple of key moments where a color change can really help to get the players into the mood.

Spyke

mr_h
November 4th, 2009, 14:15
I've used it occasionally. It has been a nice reminder to the PC's what the situation is: campfire to remind them that they are using torchlight, night time to represent time of day.

That said, it'd be nice to have a lot more options.

DNH
November 4th, 2009, 16:55
There's a calendar/date&time extension available somewhere around here. It's on the wiki too and works great^^. I edited mine to fit with Golarion.
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Campaigndate

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs! ... As we Yorkshiremen say. I completely missed that extension. I will have to hack it for Mystara and give it a shot. Cheers.