PDA

View Full Version : RMC ruleset

Baron_RWS
November 3rd, 2009, 20:56
Does anyone know if there any plans in the future to incorporate any of the Rolemaster Companion books

Foen
November 3rd, 2009, 21:18
The RMC licence has passed to SmiteWorks USA, so I cannot speak for the current plans. When RMC was created, DA had the right to produce additional content, such as the Companion books (I think) but I think there would need to be a ruleset revision to make best use of them.

Alternative directions might see the ruleset adapted to work with RMX and other RM versions.

Foen

ddavison
November 4th, 2009, 00:38
Foen is correct. SWUSA now has a license to generate more modules or rulesets compatible with Rolemaster. I believe there is an opening for a developer who would like to work on any of these products.

See: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11156

Baron_RWS
November 28th, 2009, 22:23
Foen is correct. SWUSA now has a license to generate more modules or rulesets compatible with Rolemaster. I believe there is an opening for a developer who would like to work on any of these products.

See: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11156

well I can't even remotely be called a developer :) since my experience with XML has just begun. Though I have added a half dozen races from a couple of the companion books to my ruleset. I'm getting close to having worked out consistantly adding classes and spell lists aremy next task.

But the companions would be awesome addition to this great ruleset

Vroomfogle
November 30th, 2009, 19:15
Since ICE does not own the IP of any of the original Rolemaster Companions, this will not be possible. The only possible companion that could be adapted would be Rolemaster Companion I which has been re-released by Guild Companion publications.

Baron_RWS
November 30th, 2009, 19:54
Since ICE does not own the IP of any of the original Rolemaster Companions, this will not be possible. The only possible companion that could be adapted would be Rolemaster Companion I which has been re-released by Guild Companion publications.

Well thats something of a downer :(

Fusky
December 23rd, 2009, 17:43
Can someone give help with the RM ruleset?

1- When I open a character sheet that one of my character had opened
my computer (a very powerful machine, processor is a dual core 2.66 GHz, ram is 3,00 GB, connection is 10Mb) and the computer of the player, freezes for minutes (two or three). The cpu is loaded to 70% and so Fantasy Grounds until someone closes the sheet. There is a way to fix it?
2- Someone has found the BAR table (Base attack roll)? In the Spell Law there isn't.
3- There is a quicker way to resolve attack? In other rulesets you can drop the dice on the token you're attacking, FG rolles them compares with defences, gives the results and applies automatically the damage. With RM ruleset the player click on the monster token, rolls the dice, you drag the result on the "Player rolls" section, must subtract manually the DB then load the attack table, look there the result and drag the damage on the monster in the combat tracker. I expected that this procedure could be computerized and so quicked.
4- There is a way to do the combat tracker avaiable to the players without the GM shares it?
5- Can the ruleset automatically manage the "Breakage factor" of a weapon?

Foen
December 23rd, 2009, 22:32
1- When I open a character sheet that one of my character had opened my computer (a very powerful machine, processor is a dual core 2.66 GHz, ram is 3,00 GB, connection is 10Mb) and the computer of the player, freezes for minutes (two or three). The cpu is loaded to 70% and so Fantasy Grounds until someone closes the sheet. There is a way to fix it?

The ruleset is complex, but the most time taken to load anything should be when the reference modules are open. The reference modules contain all the RM tables and can take some time to load, so you can speed up loading times by disabling those modules. Of course, that means you can't use the tables to automate anything, but it might make sense if you are not expecting a combat encounter in the session.

2- Someone has found the BAR table (Base attack roll)? In the Spell Law there isn't.

This is a known problem and is on the fix list for the next version: it was a genuine oversight.

3- There is a quicker way to resolve attack? In other rulesets you can drop the dice on the token you're attacking, FG rolles them compares with defences, gives the results and applies automatically the damage. With RM ruleset the player click on the monster token, rolls the dice, you drag the result on the "Player rolls" section, must subtract manually the DB then load the attack table, look there the result and drag the damage on the monster in the combat tracker. I expected that this procedure could be computerized and so quicked.

It sounds like you are missing out on some of the RM functionality. The player should be able to click on a target (provided the target has been dragged onto a map from the tracker) and it will automatically set that target as the player's oppponent for weapons and defences.

Once the player has clicked the target, he/she should be able to double-click their weapon on the tracker and it will roll the dice, handle any open ended results, look at DB, exhaustion etc, and send the result to the GM. The GM should see a screen pop up with the provisional results on it, allowing a right-click or double-click automatically to resolve the attack against the correct table. The GM can fudge the answer or take it straigt, right-click a second time to resolve any critical and then drag the result back to the target on the tracker. One double-click from the player, two right-clicks and a drag from the GM.

4- There is a way to do the combat tracker avaiable to the players without the GM shares it?

Sorry, the combat tracker is controlled by the GM and must be shared with players.

5- Can the ruleset automatically manage the "Breakage factor" of a weapon?

This is one area we chose not to automate. The major effort on this ruleset went into combat automation and table lookup, and other rules like weapon breakage are left to the GM just like pen and paper games.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Fusky
December 24th, 2009, 00:05
First of all, thanks for the reply :)
In the future versions you will try to remove the lag I wrote? It's difficult to play when you've five players and you loose two-three minutes every time you open something just opened by others.

Second, I've clear in mind how is the procedure of attack. But I think it can be more automatic thanks to the ruleset and FG. I know that the players can click on the monster to mark it, but I feel the procedure can more more faster.

I think:
1- The player click on the monster, the player drag and drop the dice of his attack on the token or on the name in combat tracker.
2- The computer roll the dice, subtract automatically the DB, adds the modifiers specified by GM, opens automatically the table of the weapon, compares the AT and adds - alwais automatically - the damage (the 23 hits of a 23ES for example).
3- The player rolls the dice for the critical, the master click with right button (as happens now) and resolve it.

One more thing, instead to drag and drop the critical result on the chat. Why I cannot double click on the result and let it appears on the chat and on the combat tracker automatically?

It sounds like you are missing out on some of the RM functionality. The player should be able to click on a target (provided the target has been dragged onto a map from the tracker) and it will automatically set that target as the player's oppponent for weapons and defences.

Once the player has clicked the target, he/she should be able to double-click their weapon on the tracker and it will roll the dice, handle any open ended results, look at DB, exhaustion etc, and send the result to the GM. The GM should see a screen pop up with the provisional results on it, allowing a right-click or double-click automatically to resolve the attack against the correct table. The GM can fudge the answer or take it straigt, right-click a second time to resolve any critical and then drag the result back to the target on the tracker. One double-click from the player, two right-clicks and a drag from the GM.

Rolemaster is a great game. I play it from 20 years and I was very happy to buy the ruleset, to finally play it with old friends, not do hundreds of rolls, calculations, searches on the tables and so quicken the game. The rulest speeds the game - really - but I expected more. And if the modules opened lag the computers there is not too much advantage than do it all in the old way (using paper books and calculator). It's a constructive critic: do you plan to speed the game in future versions? You're working on it?

Thanks again for the work :)

Ps. I found some very very minor error on custom spell list. When you create one and instead of the "(custom)" write something (for example "Wizard base" when creating the "Wizardstaff" list) the program don't save it.

Baron_RWS
January 6th, 2010, 05:59
By the way I now have new modules that contain the classes I needed from the companion books and I have expanded the spell lists as well. Campaign running well.

Foen
January 6th, 2010, 06:13
Good news! Would you be prepared to share how you did this on a new thread (say, Converting New Classes and Spell Lists for RMC)? Although you cannot redistribute material from those companion books, you can say *how* you converted it, so others can learn from your efforts.

Cheers

Foen

lamprey
May 18th, 2010, 00:55
I would also like to know exactly "how" this was done.

I've been playing Rolemaster for about 25 years. I just recently got back into it with some friends that I play WoW with and after some initial scepticism they have discovered the magic underneath it all.

I run a campaign that incorporates some material from almost all of the RM Companions. I would desperately love to modify my ruleset to allow for this material.

I just recently stumbled upon FGII while browsing around the ICE website a couple of days ago. I immediately recognized what advantages this would have for my game and my players.

Advanced thanks to anyone that can give me some examples of fine-tuning this great ruleset.

Baron_RWS
October 6th, 2010, 20:40
Good news! Would you be prepared to share how you did this on a new thread (say, Converting New Classes and Spell Lists for RMC)? Although you cannot redistribute material from those companion books, you can say *how* you converted it, so others can learn from your efforts.

Cheers

Foen

Its been a long while since I logged in here, I will take a look and see what i can reconstruct from January and if I think I can explain it adequately I will do just that.

lamprey
October 7th, 2010, 22:36
Thank you,

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Jason