PDA

View Full Version : Maps as Tokens

tdewitt274
November 2nd, 2009, 02:27
I'm still pretty new to the whole setup, so forgive me if it's not possible.

Has anyone tried setting up "Dungeon Tiles" as Tokens for on the fly maps? I'd guess that it's possible to lay down the tiles and then place other Tokens above it. Depends on the layering.

For example, you can have

Level 1: Players
Level 2: Tiles
Level 3: "Hidden" (ex, Traps, Secret Doors, etc)

So, as they're going along, you can "pull off" level two to reveal hidden things.

Also, a Token set of different things like tables, chairs, chests, rock walls, and doors would be pretty cool. It would put that rotate function to good use!

Thoughts?

unerwünscht
November 2nd, 2009, 02:52
The better way to do it would be to use the tiles at the base layer, and then charter tokens and "hidden entities" on the same layer. Fantasy Grounds has a nifty option to make select 'tokens' invisible to players.

Sigurd
November 2nd, 2009, 02:53
It is a nightmare to have tokens on top of tokens. It is very cumbersome to cover substantial parts of your image with tiles. Alignment takes time, juggling takes time and its messy enough to hamper game enjoyment.

It is far easier to have a Graphics\Tile Program, running at the same time if necessary, spit out a jpg into a maps directory and then reshare the updated map.

S

unerwünscht
November 2nd, 2009, 02:55
You could also set the grid size correctly for the tiles, and then they will snap in place :-) and you dont have to line them up anymore :-)

tdewitt274
November 2nd, 2009, 03:03
The better way to do it would be to use the tiles at the base layer, and then charter tokens and "hidden entities" on the same layer. Fantasy Grounds has a nifty option to make select 'tokens' invisible to players.

When you say "base layer", do you mean a JPG/PNG as the background and then put the items on that?

tdewitt274
November 2nd, 2009, 03:06
It is a nightmare to have tokens on top of tokens. It is very cumbersome to cover substantial parts of your image with tiles. Alignment takes time, juggling takes time and its messy enough to hamper game enjoyment.

It is far easier to have a Graphics\Tile Program, running at the same time if necessary, spit out a jpg into a maps directory and then reshare the updated map.

S
I wasn't planning on moving "floor" items once they were placed. It would only be for things that could move. This option would especially be useful in a Hero set. Things always tend to get thrown/broken around a lot.

So, using the reshare option pushes the image to all the users? Does this take a lot of time?

unerwünscht
November 2nd, 2009, 03:18
When you say "base layer", do you mean a JPG/PNG as the background and then put the items on that?

Well, honestly that would work as well, but no... I meant using them all as tokens and laying down the map tiles before placing any tokens in the area they inhabit..... Tho now that it has been mentioned it might be nice if they could add a layer option to the map window so we could have a Map Layer, and Tokens layer.

tdewitt274
November 2nd, 2009, 03:26
Tho now that it has been mentioned it might be nice if they could add a layer option to the map window so we could have a Map Layer, and Tokens layer.

I take it that this does not exist and would be a question for the Developers?

Sigurd
November 2nd, 2009, 15:47
Yes, although you do not plan on moving anything. It is not possible to make it perfect and then lock only the background in place. Moving tokens on the map becomes difficult as people miss with their mouse clicks and move underlying tokens.

I have seen people add trees to a green field to make encounter areas. I imagine it is also possible to place biggish symbols on a map at an appropriate scale. Mostly, you don't get the control you get in an external graphics program.

Thats why you're better to construct the background in an external program and export it. If you want to change the background do it in the external program and export it again. If you use the same name you can simply, open it, reshare it, and everyone has the updates.

Sigurd

BruntFCA
March 12th, 2010, 14:37
Yes, although you do not plan on moving anything. It is not possible to make it perfect and then lock only the background in place. Moving tokens on the map becomes difficult as people miss with their mouse clicks and move underlying tokens.

I have seen people add trees to a green field to make encounter areas. I imagine it is also possible to place biggish symbols on a map at an appropriate scale. Mostly, you don't get the control you get in an external graphics program.

Thats why you're better to construct the background in an external program and export it. If you want to change the background do it in the external program and export it again. If you use the same name you can simply, open it, reshare it, and everyone has the updates.

Sigurd

Hi,

Won't re-sharing a new map mess up all the grids and scaling? I take some time with this as it makes a big difference to the ease of use of users. Nothing worse than a badly sized image using up all of peoples screens.

Also why are people talking about Layers? I had do idea there were layers in FG2.

I think FG2 needs some better way of dealing with stacked tokens anyhow. One nice thing about FG2 is that it sticks closely to a Table Top...so it's natural and fun to drop things on it and move them around. For example I like to use AoE transparent Markers for Burst1-2 etc.

In fact if there were layers, I see being able to knock up a quick dungeon, by "dragging and dropping" virtual dungeon tiles, a sales point or feature. YOu could even sell various "Tile Sets".Afterall, not everyone wants to mess around with Gimp and PS. I think developers often lose sight of this, since they tend to use these tools a lot.

Fenloh
March 12th, 2010, 15:45
Two additional Layers would be a great help. e.g. lowest Layer is the Picture itself, then comes the Grid Layer. After that the Drawing Layer, then there are Layers low, middle and Top Token Layer and finally the Masked layer.
If the Tokenlayers have general Attibutes linked to them it would be really great.
Gneneral Attributes for the Layers:
1. Visibility - 4 Visibilities: 1. Allways Visible (everything is always Visible), 2. Mask senitive, 3. Invisible. 4. Token sensitive
2. Objects - 4 States: 1. Not movable 2. Move by GM 3.Move Request by Player 4. Move by Player

If you can Rightclick on the Tokens to move them from Layer to Layer It would be wonderful. Also the GM should be able to choose on what Layer he can insert the Tokens. That way most of the Problems are solved. I dont know intensive it would be to implement, but it would be really great.

Fenloh
P.S.: Sorry for the bad english, if there is a part that is not understandable, page me and Ill change ist asap

Edit: and Oh, it would be great if you can set the Size of a Token on Placement, not only when Placed via Combat Tracker, or is there already a possibility to resize them?

BruntFCA
March 12th, 2010, 17:51
Two additional Layers would be a great help. e.g. lowest Layer is the Picture itself, then comes the Grid Layer. After that the Drawing Layer, then there are Layers low, middle and Top Token Layer and finally the Masked layer.
If the Tokenlayers have general Attibutes linked to them it would be really great.
Gneneral Attributes for the Layers:
1. Visibility - 4 Visibilities: 1. Allways Visible (everything is always Visible), 2. Mask senitive, 3. Invisible. 4. Token sensitive
2. Objects - 3 States: 1. Not movable 2. Move by GM 3.Move Request by Player 4. Move by Player

If you can Rightclick on the Tokens to move them from Layer to Layer It would be wonderful. Also the GM should be able to choose on what Layer he can insert the Tokens. That way most of the Problems are solved. I dont know intensive it would be to implement, but it would be really great.

Fenloh
P.S.: Sorry for the bad english, if there is a part that is not understandable, page me and Ill change ist asap

Edit: and Oh, it would be great if you can set the Size of a Token on Placement, not only when Placed via Combat Tracker, or is there already a possibility to resize them?

I'm on for multiple layers, just as long as FG2 people can think of some easy "real world" metaphor for it. One of the strengths I think is the simplicity of the system, or at least how it models an actual table top.

If you're not careful you could end up with a system that looks like maptools:P Great app that, but I do wonder sometimes if its just limited to computer geeks.

tdewitt274
March 14th, 2010, 14:13
[QUOTE=BruntFCA]I'm on for multiple layers, just as long as FG2 people can think of some easy "real world" metaphor for it. One of the strengths I think is the simplicity of the system, or at least how it models an actual table top.
[QUOTE]

I think if they went with a "Sim City" type of interface, that would work well. You have a "widget" that lets you select "Underground", "Zoning" and "Normal" in the game. This could easily be your "Map", "Administration" (effects, props, etc), and "Token".

TR0LL
March 20th, 2010, 21:43
I too would love to see a map layer system.

Foen
March 21st, 2010, 11:23
You might want to check out my post in the Armory (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11966). It enables two-layer maps and should work with dungeon tiles and placeables.

Foen