PDA

View Full Version : Restricted data?

CBDunkerson
November 1st, 2009, 17:36
Is there an easy way to set up reference data (e.g. abilities/feats, items, spells) so that players cannot pull them up in the library, but CAN view the results if they click on a link which has been dropped on their character sheet?

Suppose the group is going after an enemy mage with some unique spells. I don't want the players to be able to pull up the spells (and/or his equipment) in advance to figure out the best way to fight him... but then after they've beaten him I'd like to be able to just drop links on a page so they can see the info now that the characters would actually have access to it.

I can create a db.xml module or a client/common module which the players don't have access to, but then when I drop a link on their sheet they get a message saying they don't have the module loaded. On the other hand, if they DO have access to the module then they can go and look at it in the library before they should know about it.

Sigurd
November 1st, 2009, 20:13
Good luck.

You could prepare info you think they've learned as a note and share it after they've learned it.

Sigurd

joshuha
November 1st, 2009, 22:05
I think I have done something like this before by making a module of data that is normally GM only (like say NPCs) and put the module as force load. Then if the PC sheet has a list that can accept that type you can drop it onto that to create a link into the module. They can only see if though if you have the module set to force load and if they are in the game.