PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 4th Edition Ruleset - Who uses it?

Fenloh
October 30th, 2009, 14:13
Hi there,

I am wondering who is acutally using the SR4 Ruleset? I am asking, because i am designing a followup Version of the Ruleset atm and i would like to have some feedback. Some of you might even be using very very old Versions of the Ruleset, since it has evolved. I did not share the newer Versions due to some bugs and due to the fact, that the Graphics are still not up to date.

Anyway. Now is a great time for some Feedback and whishes for the Ruleset Version 1.0.

I know of 2 or 3 People using the Rulseset, but i dont know if there are more using it and i didnt get much response or whishes. Now would be a great time to do so.

Fenloh

grimm182
November 6th, 2009, 01:35
I have been interested in this, but more from a player aspect, PM me if you need in game testing.

theox
November 7th, 2009, 04:37
I'm VERY new here, but me and my group would be interested in this. Just kinda feeling out the demo right now.

Fenloh
November 7th, 2009, 07:07
Hi theox,

Well there is a Version on the FG-Wiki, but it is quite an older one. It is playable but the new one will be even better. If you have questions, just pm me and we can arrange a meeting in Teamspeak or ICQ.

Fenloh

joshuha
November 7th, 2009, 13:40
I have used it in the past and will be starting a new campaign when the new version comes out.

Fenloh
November 7th, 2009, 13:44
Any whishes?

Stuart
November 8th, 2009, 10:16
I have used the ruleset and have been in a couple of groups running SR4 games but these only lasted a 3 or 4 sessions and then folded. If I was more comfortable with the rules, I'd run using the current SR4 which has virtually everything I needed as a player ...

More experienced GM's and Players can probably come up with tweaks.

dstuffle
January 27th, 2010, 02:56
Any update on the progress of this?

Fenloh
January 27th, 2010, 06:08
Well there is an Upgrade that i did not upload, mostly because of the Graphics.

Also I am recreating the ruleset with less errors and more features, using the jpg ruleset instead of the base.

But still the graphics are a real issue. Everyone who was willing to help startet to create one or 2 graphics and then just vanished. Maybe I want to much, or maybe I just havent found the right one. To work on a ruleset alone is not as much fun as working on it as a team.

Fenloh

dstuffle
January 28th, 2010, 03:07
Am I missing the place on the Charater sheet where Qualities are noted?

Fenloh
January 28th, 2010, 05:25
Hi dstuffle,

the Advantages and Disadvantages can be found under "Hardware", "Cyberware". Not the best Place, and surely not the first place to look. In the New Ruleset there will most likely be a "Misc" Tab. Which Version are you playing with anyway, if I may ask.

Fenloh

Davorious
February 1st, 2010, 23:14
I use version 0.6.4. Guess that my group got spoiled by Moonwizard. There is a bit of interactivity that I miss in your version.

If I had to narrow it down to the top 3:

1. Double click skill or attribute to roll.

2. Can't get initiative auto-load into combat tracker.

3. More mini-character sheet boxes. As a player, I like to see multiple windows with my skills, equipment and attributes.

I would also like to have a parser if available. One that that makes my DD4 games go smoothly is that I have parsed all of the PC and Monster data so that it is accessable in the game.

Overall, glad to see that the SR4 craze hasn't died. Thanks for keeping this ruleset going.

Fenloh
February 2nd, 2010, 07:18
I know, there are some really really great features in the 4ejpg Version and i admire that Work. That is why i want to use it as a template. In the last few days though I was thinking of a different Layout for the Charsheet. I didnt think about the Minisheets so far.

I dont understand what you mean by "using a parser". Is this implementes somewhere, where i can see how it is used?

Fenloh

Davorious
February 5th, 2010, 12:27
Parser takes text files and compiles them into codes that are then loaded into the library inside the Shadowrun rules set. (Basically it just adds .XML tags to a pre-formatted text file.)These show up as modules and provide common data that are available to the either the Gamemaster or players. One example would be a weapons or spell table that allows a quick reference to stats and descriptions.

joshuha
February 9th, 2010, 00:38
As far as easier features to code for I recall that the ruleset allowed you to roll the skills and attribute rolls from the character sheet (or maybe create a drag dice of them?). However, I think there was no option to drag that into say the modifier box to then be able to asssign modifiers up and down to shrink the die pool. Basically I am asking for the modifier box to be able to count the number of D6s dropped onto it (along with description) and the as a drag action or double click return the new set with any new modifiers. I can help you with this if you need me to.

Fenloh
February 9th, 2010, 05:31
Hi Joshua,

The Modifierbox works aktually. You place any modifier there and drag the dice from the Skill or any other Checkfield and it will apply to the Dice. I really need to upload the Ruleset I am playing with atm.

Fenloh

Fenloh
February 9th, 2010, 05:42
I have mailed it to Oberoten, he will upload it to the Wiki. Version 0.8, but like i said it is completly redone anyway.

Fenloh

Oberoten
February 9th, 2010, 08:31
Uploaded and linked in. Enjoy.

Fenloh
February 9th, 2010, 19:40
Thanks a lot Oberoten :)!

Fenloh

Oberoten
February 9th, 2010, 19:50
If anyone should be grateful it is me, couldn't have made the Wiki happend without all you guys.

- Obe

joshuha
March 6th, 2010, 04:32
Hi Joshua,

The Modifierbox works aktually. You place any modifier there and drag the dice from the Skill or any other Checkfield and it will apply to the Dice. I really need to upload the Ruleset I am playing with atm.

Fenloh

It sorta works. It doesn't give the description of the modifiers and thus wouldn't allow easy Combat tables that could have a list of the common modifiers. For example, if I wanted to create a /die 2 Smartlink Bonus and then a /die -1 Range penalty then they would modify the total dice pool but in the description its just (Global Modifier). I can modify it to at least keep the descriptions in there easy enough.

Also, like Fenloh mentioned the character sheet could do with some organizing. Is there already significant work being done on this before I consider doing this myself?

*edit*

I might actually see about working with a friend and starting from scratch. Just have to see about the graphics. Will think on it.

Fenloh
March 6th, 2010, 11:33
I was working on a different Ruleset with a friend, in order to learn some more about the Rulesets. This is finished now and we are working on the SR4 Ruleset based on the 4e_jpg ruleset.

I have completly reorganized several things, including the Data, there will be different Modifiers and the whole Charsheet will be redone. There will be Click and Snap Minisheets and several other neat things. The Combat Tracker will allow to change Initiative Scores, there will be a Combat Tracker for the Players and some more Features, many based on the 4e Ruleset.

Vehicles, Drones and Agents will be Drag and Drop to the CT and the CT will have Colored Backgrounds for the different Initiatives. Drones and Vehicles will be "jumpable", so that a driver can jump in it.

The Graphics will also be partly redone, but once the Ruleset is finished an Extension for better Graphics will be great.

I am atm talking to a friend of mine who will set up a server with a SCCS, so that the Programing will be easier. If you have something to contribute, Ideas and Codes that you like to see in the Ruleset, dont hesitate to contact me. We can also meet in Teamspeak3 to talk about the Rulest. It will be a pleasure.

Fenloh

i101
March 7th, 2010, 02:09
Damn, keep up the good work. Big thanks mate!

Kalan
March 7th, 2010, 06:44
I really look forward to seeing the finished product! We play Shadowrun quite a bit face to face, and I'd love to get a chance to play if anyone ends up running something :)

joshuha
March 13th, 2010, 00:12
I was working on a different Ruleset with a friend, in order to learn some more about the Rulesets. This is finished now and we are working on the SR4 Ruleset based on the 4e_jpg ruleset.

I have completly reorganized several things, including the Data, there will be different Modifiers and the whole Charsheet will be redone. There will be Click and Snap Minisheets and several other neat things. The Combat Tracker will allow to change Initiative Scores, there will be a Combat Tracker for the Players and some more Features, many based on the 4e Ruleset.

Vehicles, Drones and Agents will be Drag and Drop to the CT and the CT will have Colored Backgrounds for the different Initiatives. Drones and Vehicles will be "jumpable", so that a driver can jump in it.

The Graphics will also be partly redone, but once the Ruleset is finished an Extension for better Graphics will be great.

I am atm talking to a friend of mine who will set up a server with a SCCS, so that the Programing will be easier. If you have something to contribute, Ideas and Codes that you like to see in the Ruleset, dont hesitate to contact me. We can also meet in Teamspeak3 to talk about the Rulest. It will be a pleasure.

Fenloh

I would love to join this effort.

Garrette
March 23rd, 2010, 02:11
Not really related, but I just finished making up these cheat sheets, and exporting them as a module. The current ruleset is excellent as it is, awesome work to whoever put the effort in.
https://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/Garrette63/cheatsheets.jpg
Also a quick question, how do I get rid of the large space before "Shadowrun Quick Reference" in the library? Maybe its the ruleset or the way I did it. And, how can I edit a module after it's already exported?

Anyway, thanks for the ruleset, it's great. And heres a download for the cheatsheets for anyone who cares. The website of the creator of the original cheatsheet pdf's is under the module author.

https://www.megaupload.com/?d=DBVLTWMP

I noticed this also adds these entries under story. How can I have stand-alone entries that only exist in the library?

TR0LL
March 23rd, 2010, 16:27
A fully functional and developed SR4 ruleset would be amazing, ill have to download this and see where its at.

dstuffle
April 8th, 2010, 05:42
Has anyone approached Catalyst Games to see if they'd be interested in porting their products to FG2, and putting them up for sale like Savage Worlds does?

They don't seem to have a problem at all with putting out their sourcebooks in pdf format. With a stable, standardized SW4 ruleset, being able to buy the sourcebooks as FG2 mods would ROCK!

Fenloh
April 8th, 2010, 07:49
Yes it would, but many things are very complex. I am a wee bit stuck at the moment. I had to throw over the last concept and I have to try some different Approach now.

Fenloh

sloejack
April 9th, 2010, 18:45
Has anyone approached Catalyst Games to see if they'd be interested in porting their products to FG2, and putting them up for sale like Savage Worlds does?

They don't seem to have a problem at all with putting out their sourcebooks in pdf format. With a stable, standardized SW4 ruleset, being able to buy the sourcebooks as FG2 mods would ROCK!

Catalyst has been unapproachable for the last 3 or 4 years on this subject. I tried a number of times individually and as part of Digital Adventures to bring them on board with this idea and have been met with a wall of silence for the most part. I've talked to them a couple of times at Gen Con but those conversations don't go very far when they don't return follow up calls or emails.

dstuffle
April 25th, 2010, 07:23
Bummer, you'd think a company that produces a game so computer & net savy would be more open to virtual table top integration.

Oh Well, anyone have advice on how I can start making library mods (for my personal use, of course, wouldn't want to break any copy right laws) for Shadowrun 4th ed ruleset?

How can I find the expected skill / weapon / equipment XML layout?

cryptoknight
April 26th, 2010, 12:23
Catalyst has been unapproachable for the last 3 or 4 years on this subject. I tried a number of times individually and as part of Digital Adventures to bring them on board with this idea and have been met with a wall of silence for the most part. I've talked to them a couple of times at Gen Con but those conversations don't go very far when they don't return follow up calls or emails.

Catalyst doesn't hold the license to computer content for the SR game at any sort. It's why there isn't even a character generator.

Smith & Tinker has the computer licenses via a sub-license from Microsoft.

Fenloh
April 26th, 2010, 13:59
Now that is good to know, maybe we can talk to them later on.

The development of the new Ruleset is getting in Gear.

Unfortunatly we did decide not to use many Automation Processes for Modifiers and such.

The Highlights of the Ruleset will be:
Combat, Matrix, Pilot and Magic Pages, Possible to clickandstick (I hope i get it to work)
Vehicles, Drones, Sprites and Spirits will be activatable, they can be played like a Character )You activate them and a Playerchar will be created). The Numbers on the Sheet will be linked to them. That will enable you to "jump in" Cars and Drones.
Modifiers will be selectable in each Skill, so you can make sure you know what Bonis and Modifiers are being used
Inventory will be on 5 to 6 different "Bags", so you can Handle Equipment at Home and in Safe Houses.
DiceTower and many of the great great features of the 4e Ruleset will be modified

Well that is the Plan ;)which is coming around and Verokh (A great friend and great Motivator from the "Drachenzwinge" (German Website commited to online RPG via VTT and VoiceChat), helps me in Designing it (many thanks). Also Joshua (you all know joshua) will be helping along. We just hat our first meeting and he helped me a great deal getting some Errors resolved.

Fenloh

i101
May 1st, 2010, 16:23
Wow this sounds awesome Fenloh. Wish you the best :)

Stormdrake
June 9th, 2010, 16:02
Greetings,
Was referred to your site on DumpShock. I have been looking for an application that would help me to run my Shadowrun 4ed game. I am running a face to face game but would like to incorporate many aspects of an online game for record keeping and ease of game play. Everything I have seen so far of FG looks great but wanted to know if the system is flexible enough to add other non-game mechanic pages? As an example, I currently have a website that has pages where players can get current or old news reports, monster write ups (from the characters point of view,) new equipment write ups (home brewed stuff,) locations of interest, run descriptions and NPC profiles. It would be great if such things could be hosted in FG and updated by me then downloaded to the players versions when they connect to my GM version. From some of the descriptions of FG’s abilities it seems like I could do this but am unsure. Also, as far as the character sheet goes there is an open source chargen for 4ed that several SR enthusiasts have worked on for a couple years over at Dumpshock that has all the rules incorporated. I only mention it to see if you could make use of it?
Thank you

Fenloh
June 9th, 2010, 18:38
Hi Stormdrake,

Fg is a great program, and you are able to crunch down Items and NPCs and more. Yet the SR4 Ruleset i have written up to this point is by far not as good as the DnD Ruleset. But my pals and me are currently rewriting the Ruleset. You can use it for your Storyline, Items, Vehicles, Drones and a lot more.

You can use Mods that help you to share information with your players (like Weapon Lists, News Lists etc.) There are lots of possibilites. The New Ruleset will still take a wee bit, but the old one does help a lot.

Can you tell me what Chargen you are using? I am interessted in getting a hold of a developer of a good Chargen to be able to import and maybe export Chars.

Fenloh

Stormdrake
June 9th, 2010, 19:17
Fenloh,
Here is the info:

Upgraded Character Generator, Updated Generator Based on work from Autarkis and Blakkie
SR4CG DK Version 1k

DamienKnight is the current developer

SpudmanWP
July 8th, 2010, 00:55
Where is the Chr Gen located?

Fenloh
July 8th, 2010, 05:58
https://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=23735

Jalum
August 11th, 2010, 05:23
I would like to start using it any ruleset in the making or ideas on how to get this info into my system? Besides manually entering everything:). Also does anyone have any idea where I could find a functional shadowrun 4e character sheet for FG2?

Fenloh
August 11th, 2010, 06:06
Hi,

uhm, I am sorry, i did not quite understand what you are looking for.

The older Ruleset is downloadable from the link in the previous post (It has a working Charsheet) and the new one is not ready yet. We have some difficulties, though the Charsheet is finished.

Or did you speak about a Chargenerator? Because there is none for FG2

Fenloh

Jalum
August 12th, 2010, 05:11
I spoke before I read, sorry. I did find the SR4 download on this thread thanks alot. My question now is where do I drop that info in the FG2 folder is there one file in the system it goes into? Also I have been looking for the latest parser which I keep seeing mentioned on these forums as v4.0.2 the only one that I could find was 4.0.103 any direction would be helpful. Thanks alot out there...

Fenloh
August 12th, 2010, 05:31
You will find, a link to the Application Data Folder in your Start Menu in the Fantasygrounds 2 Folder.

Within the Application Data Folder there is a subfolder named "Rulesets" place the Data in there (subfolder SR4 and the XML-Data and subfolders in that folder).

After you have done that you start FG2 again and when you create a new campaign you will find the SR4 Ruleset in the Selektion.

I do not think that the parser would work with the SR4 Ruleset.

Fenloh

Jalum
August 13th, 2010, 05:02
Hey Fenloh thanks for your time and info I really appreciate it.

wyrframe
August 25th, 2010, 16:37
I am, its great. Thanks for making it.

zenile
September 23rd, 2010, 02:45
Is there an updated ruleset for SR4? I was reading the dumpshock forums and there was an image posted of a shadowrun FG2 screenshot, but the ruleset looks alot different than mine.

https://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=32921

Fenloh
September 23rd, 2010, 05:48
Well, yes the ruleset on in the picture is in the making. Still takes time though.

Fenloh

Roguedaemon
October 15th, 2010, 17:11
Still looking for graphics? i have some XML LUA experience from scratch building a ruleset in FG2, but am no Moonwizard or the like... unfortunately my time is a bit limited, graphics i can do, but tracking code tweaks I'm uncertain i have the time needed to volunteer for.
Willing to throw in a hand where it may be needed though. Let me know.

Fenloh
October 15th, 2010, 20:45
Hi Rogue,

great that you like to contribute. Unfortunatly i am not working in the ruleset atm, due to a lot of work, but it would be great if you can help. The Project is done over SVN, so it would not be a big problem for you to contribute.

If you like, you can PM me and we can meet via teamspeak 3.

Fenloh

inawkwardscience
November 19th, 2010, 07:04
Catalyst doesn't hold the license to computer content for the SR game at any sort. It's why there isn't even a character generator.

Smith & Tinker has the computer licenses via a sub-license from Microsoft.

Topps owns the license and they approved a third party SR4 chargen.

https://catalystgamelabs.com/2010/05/12/lone-wolf-development-to-develop-shadowrun-data-package-for-hero-lab/